U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 AM

173 posts, read 430,106 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions for an accredited low cost homeschool program for high school students? TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,963,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for an accredited low cost homeschool program for high school students? TIA
Interestingly enough, BYU has a series of courses designed for junior high and high school students that they offer online. They're obviously accredited, of course -- the student would work on the coursework from home and submit it electronically.

I would google "BYU Distance Ed" or "BYU Distance Ed High School" or something like that.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 PM

847 posts, read 2,431,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Interestingly enough, BYU has a series of courses designed for junior high and high school students that they offer online. They're obviously accredited, of course -- the student would work on the coursework from home and submit it electronically.

I would google "BYU Distance Ed" or "BYU Distance Ed High School" or something like that.
As a high school guidance counselor, I would actually recommend BYU online program for students who needed credit. I would not say it was the best educational opportunity that I have seen but it worked for these kids.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,628,200 times
You might check Texas Tech's K-12 distance program http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ode/

Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 PM

Thanks, guys I'll be looking into all of those. Some of the programs I found online are surprisingly expensive & I really want to be sure that whichever one I get is worth it.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 AM

2,839 posts, read 6,630,960 times
I know one family who used Clonlara with their older kids and liked it. I have no idea about cost or anything like that.

Depending on the state where you live, and the age of your student, he or she may be able to take classes at a community college for free... I know in Florida, it's called dual enrollment. They're considered a homeschool student (or private school student, depending on which legal option you use) who dually enrolls in a college. So if you found, for example, a math curriculum you liked (such as Saxon) and felt comfortable letting your child direct their own literature (this is just an example), he could take upper level science classes at the college, etc. Or if they're old enough, they could apprentice (for free) under someone who is currently performing the job/career they might be interested in, and just fill in the rest of the time with a curriculum or college classes.... Just some ideas for maximum educational value... my kids are young, so I could be off base, but these are things that I anticipate encouraging my own kids to do in 8 or so years....

Old 02-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I know one family who used Clonlara with their older kids and liked it. I have no idea about cost or anything like that.

Depending on the state where you live, and the age of your student, he or she may be able to take classes at a community college for free... I know in Florida, it's called dual enrollment. They're considered a homeschool student (or private school student, depending on which legal option you use) who dually enrolls in a college. So if you found, for example, a math curriculum you liked (such as Saxon) and felt comfortable letting your child direct their own literature (this is just an example), he could take upper level science classes at the college, etc. Or if they're old enough, they could apprentice (for free) under someone who is currently performing the job/career they might be interested in, and just fill in the rest of the time with a curriculum or college classes.... Just some ideas for maximum educational value... my kids are young, so I could be off base, but these are things that I anticipate encouraging my own kids to do in 8 or so years....
Wow- I'm going to check into the colleges out here & find out if they offer that. The apprenticeship program also would be really cool....I hope there's something like that available here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education