Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 PM

509 posts, read 554,384 times

Advertisements

Why the concern about grade school teachers? Can we include other professions in the "no tattoo" clauses.

Just curious as to why they were singled out (and I had a nurse recently with several tats and rainbow hair)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 11:51 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,358 times
In my opinion tattoos do not need to be covered in a teaching environment unless they have obscene words or imagery. Otherwise, they are just part of self-expression and ultimately inconsequential.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Depends on what the tattoo is of.

Hate speech? White supremacist stuff? Gang insignias? Obscene language or imagery?

None of that's child-friendly. If it's something I'd disapprove of being on a teacher's t-shirt, it's something I'd disapprove of being inked on a teacher's skin. Other than that, I couldn't care less.

And I'm both a teacher, and a parent. Who has tattoos, albeit not readily visible in the classroom.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:38 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,469 times
No problem with tattoos. Obviously those with problematic messages would be an issue, similar to what would be allowed on clothing.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:39 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,540 times
No visible gang tatoos for teachers in public schools. Once again, no visible gang tatoos for teachers in public schools.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:28 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Tattoos are always unprofessional. How many physicians, accountants, and lawyers have them? Would either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump have received their parties' nomination if they sported tattoos? How many successful people have tattoos? Why would anyone feel the need to have a tattoo?
i don't know about physicians, accountants, lawyers etc., but your question as to why anyone feels the need to have tattoos is one that I have often pondered.
It's easy for me to ask this, as I have always considered, (old soldiers excepted), that anyone who is tattooed is a tad short in the brain department, someone who is easily led and influenced, "X has a tattoo, I'll get one."
If I were to go into a shoe store, and a visibly tattooed assistant asked if I needed help, I'd say "no, I'm fine thanks", then wait for an unadorned assistant, reasoning that the unadorned one would be more on my wavelength, and we could discuss sizes, colours, alternatives etc. with an equal attitude.
It's the same at a social gathering, if I'm introduced to someone sporting a tattoo(s), I'll shake their hand, smile and say "how are you?"
I'd then avoid them like the plague, reasoning that we'd have little or nothing in common to talk about.
I'm no more nor less intelligent than anyone, and I have the common sense of a trash can lid, but tattoos are anathema to me.
Seeing them on a person, male or female, sets off an alarm that says, "Avoid, cross the street if possible."

Old 07-31-2016, 06:22 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
i don't know about physicians, accountants, lawyers etc., but your question as to why anyone feels the need to have tattoos is one that I have often pondered.
It's easy for me to ask this, as I have always considered, (old soldiers excepted), that anyone who is tattooed is a tad short in the brain department, someone who is easily led and influenced, "X has a tattoo, I'll get one."
If I were to go into a shoe store, and a visibly tattooed assistant asked if I needed help, I'd say "no, I'm fine thanks", then wait for an unadorned assistant, reasoning that the unadorned one would be more on my wavelength, and we could discuss sizes, colours, alternatives etc. with an equal attitude.
It's the same at a social gathering, if I'm introduced to someone sporting a tattoo(s), I'll shake their hand, smile and say "how are you?"
I'd then avoid them like the plague, reasoning that we'd have little or nothing in common to talk about.
I'm no more nor less intelligent than anyone, and I have the common sense of a trash can lid, but tattoos are anathema to me.
Seeing them on a person, male or female, sets off an alarm that says, "Avoid, cross the street if possible."
You are wrong about intelligence being negatively correlated with having a tattoo. Go to any science department at any top university and many if not most of the grad students have a tattoo, especially the field sciences. One of my good friends is a Ph.D. in geology, and has a trilobite on the back of her neck. One of my former students who is currently working at the hadron has a tattoo of the hydrogen wave functions as a band around his upper arm which is kind of awesome. Many of us have tattoos specifically relating to our graduate work, myself included.

But sure, feel free to judge the intelligence of people based on whatever you like. It says far more about you than it does them.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:49 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,622,198 times
No I wouldn't object. As an RN, I know tattoos don't age well, but that's just my opinion. Their bodies, their lives. Sure some people go over the top with tattoos, but that's not the norm. Teach my kid well and I don't care about your skin.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,421 times
I have worked in computer programming for over 40 years and I can say that personal appearance issues do not equate to intelligence or ability one bit. I have worked side by side with some pretty hard core looking people and I was no more offended by their appearance than they were of my more traditional appearance.

However, in some situations, it can be distracting to some. In the case of an elementary school teacher, I would not hire a teacher with too many distracting tattoos but I would not mind my child in that class.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:01 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
I think that there is a huge difference between having a tattoo or two (perhaps, a small flower, butterfly, word or other symbol with personal meaning) and having T A T T O O S !!!!!

No matter what the profession, IMHO, a simple tattoo or two would not bother most people but full color, large TATTOOS!!!! on the face or full sleeve tattoos on my doctor, lawyer, accountant, teacher, or other professional might be pretty distracting to me.

And, I would definitely be put off by multiple racist or other inappropriate TATTOOS!!!! on the face or arms of a co-worker or someone that I needed to work with closely. Ditto for tear drop tattoos which indicate how many people that person has murdered. To see something like that on anyone makes my blood run cold.

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-31-2016 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education