Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 12:30 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times

Advertisements

OP--I understand that you want to add areas to your teaching certification. I did the same thing many years ago. I had a license to teach Social Studies. No Social Studies jobs were to be found. I went back to school and added a certification in Math. I figured it would get my foot in the door. Although I passed upper level Math classes with a few A's and some solid B's I hoped I never had to teach Math. I knew that I would face students that naturally understood Math better than I did. I wasn't willing to enter a classroom that way. Are you? Students will have no respect for you.

Personally I think you need to re-think the Math addition. It will get harder. It you have a spatial learning problem, Geometry (not like high school Geometry btw) will kill you. Trig and pre-Calc are relatively easy.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:20 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,576,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
OP--I understand that you want to add areas to your teaching certification. I did the same thing many years ago. I had a license to teach Social Studies. No Social Studies jobs were to be found. I went back to school and added a certification in Math. I figured it would get my foot in the door. Although I passed upper level Math classes with a few A's and some solid B's I hoped I never had to teach Math. I knew that I would face students that naturally understood Math better than I did. I wasn't willing to enter a classroom that way. Are you? Students will have no respect for you.

Personally I think you need to re-think the Math addition. It will get harder. It you have a spatial learning problem, Geometry (not like high school Geometry btw) will kill you. Trig and pre-Calc are relatively easy.
Hey, if I don't pass, I don't pass. Right now, I'm struggling with pre-cal, so it's a real possibility. I'm planning to do what I can, though, (and I already teach math subjects where I work, whether I'm qualified or not, and the students do respect me) I am back in school, though, and I think it's a step in the right direction, because I have more opportunities. I should probably major in something that better fits my skill set after getting over this prerequisite course, though. It all requires math, but I was thinking about maybe changing to a computer sciences major once I finish these math requirements, if I finish them...CIS is hard, but I think it might be something I can do.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Hey, if I don't pass, I don't pass. Right now, I'm struggling with pre-cal, so it's a real possibility. I'm planning to do what I can, though, (and I already teach math subjects where I work, whether I'm qualified or not, and the students do respect me) I am back in school, though, and I think it's a step in the right direction, because I have more opportunities. I should probably major in something that better fits my skill set after getting over this prerequisite course, though. It all requires math, but I was thinking about maybe changing to a computer sciences major once I finish these math requirements, if I finish them...CIS is hard, but I think it might be something I can do.

Didnt you say this? Less than four months ago?

Quote:
I doubt I'm doing much better than those instructors who neglected me, and I often hear students complaining that they wish I wasn't their teacher.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
You and others here don't seem to understand that level 100 math is a prerequisite to almost any other math and science classes I want to take. I wanted to get certified to teach middle school math or science; it's really not out of my range of aptitude. I help the middle school kids at our school with their math on a regular basis, and I understand maths like Algebra and Pre-Algebra pretty well, but I have to go well past calculus to actually get a certification to teach the kids. I thought maybe I could take one math class at a time, and if I'm not smart enough to earn the math degree, I could at least try for a science certification, but it seems like I can't even complete a basic prerequisite math course. This is the kind of math kids do in high school.
You need to be able to pass high level math to teach middle school math. Precalc is NOT high level math. If you can't pass Precalc you will not be able to be certified to teach math.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:45 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Since when?? Not from your posts in the past. You're again not listening, you're not a good teacher regardless of subject, slogging through math or CS or anything else that's not related to the nuts and bolts of teaching, social skills or daily living skills, is not going to get you anything but further in debt. I officially think I'm giving up again, best of luck to you.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:30 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:

Ok, at this point I'm wondering if KMB is a real person or a troll personality just to keep the post count up.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:39 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Computer Science in a college and in real life work requires math and spatial ability. Both of my kids are software developers and were computer science majors in college.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ok, at this point I'm wondering if KMB is a real person or a troll personality just to keep the post count up.
Fine! Do you want me to not be optimistic and to just say that I'm some idiot who doesn't have the right prerequisite skills to live a normal life? Do you want me to admit that I'm bad at both math AND soft skills that are more or less required to do well in anything? Do you want me to admit that I'm ill-equipped to handle everyday life situations and usually avoid people just because of conflicts (that arise without warning from my perspective) that usually come up just from trying to get along in society? I'm pretty sure you didn't want me to say that.

Yes, the math class is unbelievably difficult, and I don't know what it is that's causing the problem. It seems like I'm truly not capable of doing everything else other people can do with ease, and I hate having to admit that to myself. Would you like to look at pretty much every fun enjoyable pleasant activity you could try or have ever done and tell yourself that it's not for you and that you just can't do it, that it's somehow "wrong" for you because you'll mess it up? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't, but it's the sorry way I have to live my life. I take on extra obligations and make myself very busy so that no one sees these glaringly unforgivable flaws.

Last edited by krmb; 09-05-2016 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Computer Science in a college and in real life work requires math and spatial ability. Both of my kids are software developers and were computer science majors in college.

I'm not sure if I could do it in that case, then. I thought it was mainly learning and using programming languages.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Since when?? Not from your posts in the past. You're again not listening, you're not a good teacher regardless of subject, slogging through math or CS or anything else that's not related to the nuts and bolts of teaching, social skills or daily living skills, is not going to get you anything but further in debt. I officially think I'm giving up again, best of luck to you.

Okay, but what do you want me to do about it? Give up? Right now, I'm using those jobs to keep a roof over my head, and I went to school to become a teacher. The students who would listen to me (I'll admit I haven't had many of those) actually had a pretty high opinion of me. I don't know if that counts as respect, but it counts as something, and maybe it means that I can do my job. Mostly, though, you are right. I get kids who couldn't care less about academics and need something I can't really provide. I think I am getting better at reading facial expressions, though.

The way I look at it, and maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but this seems to work, is people want to keep well qualified people around. The more certification you have, the more work you are qualified to do, and the more work you do the less likely you are to lose your job if anything happens. Plus, I feel like I need to stay busy. It keeps me from worrying about things I can't really change.

Last edited by krmb; 09-05-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education