Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 08:04 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,171,306 times

Advertisements

Why do public schools closed on Rosh Hashanah?

I find it kind of pointless. There is far too few Jewish student in public school. I graduated from NYC public school and I don't recall seeing much Jews when I was there. Now, my kids are in public school in NJ and I don't think I recall using a single Jews.

I personally find the 180s days of school is not enough. Looking at the school year calendar, school close 2 to 5 days every months. The only month with no day off is March, which itself has 2 half-days session.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do public schools closed on Rosh Hashanah?-20162016cal.png  

Old 09-19-2016, 08:09 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Because it's in the teachers Contract that has been agreed to by the school board is the short answer.

Its been there forever in many districts, and no one wants to make waves or be politically incorrect to suggest that the date be removed, due to lack of students, teachers, staff who are Jewish. Since the "Small" number will scream and yell if it's removed. Its harder to take something away, once every one is use to it.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:22 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
There might have been a larger Jewish population when the calendar was established howevermany years ago, and now it's not a priority to change it. If the state law is 180 days, then that's what will be scheduled (with a few extra for snow days, maybe). If they opened on Rosh Hashanah, they'd just close on another day. Go do something educational with your kids that day if you're worried that they're missing out on instruction... at least you know it won't be all test prep, right?

Old 09-19-2016, 11:26 AM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post

I find it kind of pointless. There is far too few Jewish student in public school. I graduated from NYC public school and I don't recall seeing much Jews when I was there. Now, my kids are in public school in NJ and I don't think I recall using a single Jews.
That would be something to discuss with your school board, as not every district in every state gets Rosh Hashannah off.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:21 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That would be something to discuss with your school board, as not every district in every state gets Rosh Hashannah off.

Our district (East Stroudsburg PA) once started classes on Rosh Hashanah (1994 or 1995?). There were no Jews on the board, and the calendar they used when planning the school year did not include Jewish holidays. Needless to say there was an uproar in the local community, but the first day of school was already etched in stone, as it were. The board promised never to let it happen again, and it hasn't (perhaps partly because school now starts in August).

Old 09-19-2016, 01:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:

I personally find the 180s days of school is not enough. Looking at the school year calendar, school close 2 to 5 days every months. The only month with no day off is March, which itself has 2 half-days session.
How do you know who is jewish and who isn't? And why are you keeping track anyway?

Old 09-19-2016, 01:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
A NY thread wasn't enough so a NJ thread had to be started?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-calender.html

Old 09-19-2016, 01:07 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:

Why single out the Jews? Per your calendar is November 23rd & December 23rd your school is a single session (usually means they go in for attendance and then go home). Why?? Per your calendar January 2nd your school is closed. Why??

Old 09-19-2016, 01:11 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Quote:

I'll bet they were all off somewhere learning grammar, spelling and punctuation. Just guessing.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:30 PM

190 posts, read 167,439 times
In Baltimore County and City, MD, schools are closed for both jewish New Year and Yom Kippur. Reason is that there were so many student absences during these holidays in some schools, they lost funding. Baltimore has the second largest jewish population in the US, behind NYC, with a lot of public school students in the Northwest part of the city/county. Just a practical matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education