Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:45 PM

105 posts, read 90,745 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people nowadays who want to learn Chinese or want to teach their kids Chinese.

I don't understand the obsession.

Yes China has 1.5 billion people, but the languages is very focused mostly on China and not widespread like Spanish and French.

Also, the kids who have Chinese parents in America, most of them don't speak Mandarin fluently and almost none of them can write. The languages is so difficult that even many people from China cannot write that well.

And I don't think people really should worry about businesses with China because English will be just fine, just like businesses with any other countries.
The chances are, no matter how much you put your effort to learn Chinese, the Chinese people will probably speak English better than you speaking Mandarin.

I've seen many people who tried to learn Chinese and they all gave up relatively quick. All gave up on basic level. Only person I have seen who learned was my teacher from college (She studied for long years in Taiwan and China).

My opinion is that unless you are 100% sure that you will go all the way with Chinese, don't even bother learning it. Better to use that time on something else.

So yeah, many people seem to be very afraid of China's economy, but there's just no way in hell that Chinese will surpass English and it would just take too much time to even learn a little that it probably does not even worth trying it.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
It makes watching the movies easier.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:19 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
OP, if you do not want to learn Mandarin then don't but why attempt to discourage others who want to?
It is their choice to learn what they wish as it is your choice to do the same and someone else's choice is not your concern.

Personally I would like to be able to speak Mandarin however our daughter in law is Chinese.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:50 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
It's called a fad. Languages go through more of them than clothing.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:31 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjobs View Post
Don't understand the obsession about wanting to learn Chinese (Mandarin)
Then don't learn it!

Why the concern over others wanting to earn it? The language(s) they choose to learn should not matter in the least to you.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:15 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Learning Japanese was supposed to be the wave of the future, back in the 80's, "so you can get a good job". Japan's economy has been a shambles for decades and nobody talks about learning Japanese anymore.

But if learning Mandarin can help to get your takeout order filled faster, go for it!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
The "humanities" help us learn about the human experience and gain understanding and appreciation for others. Learning multiple languages often results in better understanding of one's primary language and higher scores on reading tests.

Why take music or art lessons?

Old 09-21-2016, 07:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
I once spent an entire summer learning to read and speak Klingon, so I'm certainly not going to knock a person for learning an earthly language

Old 09-21-2016, 07:52 AM

105 posts, read 90,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Then don't learn it!

Why the concern over others wanting to earn it? The language(s) they choose to learn should not matter in the least to you.
I'm not a hater of Chinese language or anything like that.
The language is so difficult that it just is not realistic to learn it unless you are willing to put insane amount of work for long years.
And everyone I've seen around me gave up. All of them.
At the same time I've seen many people who learned Spanish or French.
I'm just trying to be realistic.

Mandarin is so difficult and even if you manage to learn it, there may be little to no reward for learning it.
And like I said before, even if you manage to learn some, Chinese people will still talk to you in English unless you can speak fluent Mandarin.
My recommendation is that if you want to learn Chinese, try learning Western European languages like Spanish or French first. If you can't even handle Spanish or French, then there's just no way in hell you can learn Chinese.

If you study Mandarin for few years and just give up, it's a waste. If you learn Spanish or French for few years, then you can actually be good at it and even if you stop there, it won't be a waste. See the difference?
Again, not a hater. I'm saying it from my life experience J and just trying to be realistic and want to save people from wasting their time.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,388 times
Let's look at it form an uncommon angle. Learning Chinese makes lots of sense for those men want a Chinese wife. No pain, no gain. ☺😁
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education