U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:43 AM

4,282 posts, read 6,904,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
IMHO
concept of punishment has been pretty much eradicated. its a rewards only system.
(it does not work) as to public school, we need voucher system badly.
+1

I completely agree, but it will never happen I'm afraid.
Our largest monthly line item is school (not public).

Meck Co will run buses (currently just over 100,000 mi per day according to the Observer) until the earth runs out of oil...
Local schools and local control would be a much better system, the system is too large to manage effectively at a reasonable cost.
What is the busing cost alone?!

Unfortunately the words 'common sense' & 'bureaucrats' cannot be used in the same sentence.

Sorry SK for getting OT...

Last edited by mullman; 02-24-2008 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 10:00 AM

806 posts, read 1,812,327 times
Would this topic be better suited for the Education forum?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:34 PM

1,105 posts, read 3,035,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
IMHO
concept of punishment has been pretty much eradicated. its a rewards only system.
(it does not work) as to public school, we need voucher system badly.
Public school is definately not a rewards only system. Sure paddling isn't allowed in most school districts today but paddling is not the end all and be all of punishments. It is silly to think that having paddling in schools is going to magically make schools better. In and out of school suspensions work just as well as paddling ever would. The key is that the punishment has to be followed through at home, that is what has to change and what is not happening. Way too many people find it way too "difficult" to follow through with grounding and taking away things of value. These things are way more effective than paddling. Spanking and paddling is the parent's easy way out.

No a voucher system is not the way too go. In the long run everything would just be worse. Your child might get something better right now but in the long run it would just make the bad schools worse and those children would not get a good education either. You might be asking so what, it's not my job to make sure everyone gets an education anyway. Well my answer to that it would effect you. If everyone around you is brought down for whatever reason, well you will be dragged down with them no matter what you do. You might not notice it because, well you would still better off than them but it would bring you down. Sorry, I am not very good at wording these things but I hope you get my point. Enough about vouchers though because it really doesn't have anything to do with this topic. Noone, I hope, would pick a school just because they allow corporal punishment.

I agree with those that say appropriate punishment should vary according to age, according to child, etc. It is not acceptable to make a physically disabled child walk laps but I think it is completely fine for my own child. They have recess taken away and they walk laps cause they do need some sort of exercise. This of course probably wouldn't work well for an older child.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:56 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,586,145 times
If we are to have a democracy which functions (i.e. educated people voting for our leaders) we do not want a voucher system. As jenn said in the previous post under this system the children who are not endangered (your children) would get a good education, but the country would go downhill with worse leaders and more crime. Look at what's happening in Venezuela where you have an uneducated population voting. Is that what we want for the US? The quality of life for your children would definitely not improve.

In order to have a functioning democracy, we need to have the ENTIRE population well-educated.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:59 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,691,521 times
Non parent; all of these are fine with me:

- ISS

- OSS

- paddling

- versions of time out

- cleaning up areas of the school (gym, cafeteria, classrooms, etc.)

- revoked priviledges (after school clubs, sports, pep rallies, etc

- Some kids just need to be embarrased a few times in front of their peers.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:02 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,015,541 times
Paddling is alive and well in plenty of places including some school districts in Texas.

What works best for my son is the threat of Saturday detention which is 3 hours, 9-12 in uniform.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:14 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,691,521 times
Just curious, do you know who they get to work Saturday detention? I'm guessing either it's a decently paid extra duty or unions/associations have little pull in TX.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:38 PM

1,469 posts, read 3,307,599 times
How about teaching appropriate behavior? I believe that is the goal of discipline.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,015,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Just curious, do you know who they get to work Saturday detention? I'm guessing either it's a decently paid extra duty or unions/associations have little pull in TX.
This is a private school although the public schools here have Saturday school as well (although it may be more for tutoring and not a form of punishment). This is an at will state, there are no true teacher unions (with collective bargaining power). I'm pretty sure the public school teachers get paid extra for working Saturdays.

At my son's private school the teachers who work Saturday morning, only work a half day on Wednesday. There is a lot of activity at the school Saturday mornings because they also tutor quite a few public school kids at that time (for a fee) in addition to having Saturday detention.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM

499 posts, read 993,666 times
Smile Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
As a substitute teacher, one of the posters on the thread about the punishment of a disabled child, asked what board members would consider as an appropriate punishment for unruly behavior in elementary school, middle School and/or high school. Offer your opinions whether or not you currently have school age children.

In my opinion, I do not think anyone should paddle children unless it be their parents. I believe it causes hard and confusing feelings in small children. Would you want to go back to school knowing they can physically hit you? Now-a-days, is a magical word. These kids now-a-days, do not react with shame or remorse, they react with horrible words and guns. These kids now are very vengeful, and they don't forget who treated them badly or who punished them with pysical touch. I just think it would be very dangerous for spanker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education