Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should cursive be taught in schools
No they shoudn't 31 22.96%
Yes they should 104 77.04%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 07:38 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many landlords and apartment complexes require it. Well, check or cashiers check, just not cash nor bank transfer.
My Old Mortgage Company Needed to be paid by paper check. I had my EBill Pay Mail them a physical Check each month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 08:21 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,170 times
I have many times wondered, when I see young people with a pen in their hands (although I admit that is less and less often these days), where/how they learned that death grip they use. It really looks uncomfortable/tiring and I can see why these kids would not be able to write essays, tests, etc. with a pen or pencil any more. I think it is very sad.

When I grew up, we had to learn to use a straight pen with ink from a bottle before we were allowed to use a cartridge pen (which also had fluid ink in it). I think I was in high school before we were allowed to use ball point pens (and they were the nice ones with refills, not the disposable ones that come 10 for $1.00 now). We learned to value our possessions (because they were not cheap to replace and most of us heard from our parents if we lost or broke one, believe me). We held our pens lightly too, not as though we were angrily trying to tear the paper into bits with it. If one didn't do that, it would have taken weeks to write a 10 page paper - and we were often required to write those and pass them in (and they had to be legible!). From that I think most of us learned self-discipline as well. I know it helped with self-esteem too - we had pride in a job well done. And we learned how to fail and then succeed. Little things but they make a big long term difference in a child's (then adult's) life.

But, for all of that, I don't think it took much time out of the school day in the early grades to learn to hold the pens, use them with real inks (and blotters), and write in cursive. I don't see the harm in teaching the kids at least how to hold a pen .. and frankly if we all go back to signing our names with an X that seems like a huge step backwards in time to before schooling existed for most people .. why would we want to do that in an age when supposedly we are so 'advanced'? Anything you learn to do well in school is a 'learning to learn' situation in my estimation - and learning how to hold and use a pen should not be a forgotten art for a lot of very basic reasons which go far beyond the actual writing part.

Last edited by Aery11; 10-09-2016 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-09-2016, 08:33 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
The fact that we even have to ask this question explains the reason the American educational system is a complete disaster.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:51 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Who writes checks anymore? Waste of time IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
How many millennials write checks?! Everything is electronic.
I sometimes write checks either to somebody who doesn't take online payments, or when giving money to an individual when I don't have the cash in my wallet. What other alternatives do people use?

Old 10-09-2016, 10:28 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
How about teaching proper manuscript (printing)? I cannot tell you how many of my (5th grade) students cannot hold a pencil correctly, and form letters and numbers from bottom to top. And 4's look like 9's, because they don't understand that they may need to lift their pencil for the second stroke.
Have you considered dropping down in the grade you teach so that YOU can properly train them to write at an age-appropriate time? How about speaking to the teachers in your district that are already teaching those grades about what you see? Or is this the parents job?

Old 10-09-2016, 10:45 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Signing one's name is an excellent way to prevent/detect forgery. Printing letters is much easier to copy than signing.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:45 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Why would children not be able to read cursive? Don't see that. It is pretty much just another font. There are languages were it might be difficult but English is not one.
Creating cursive is a learned skill but reading it is not. I would think differences in the language on older examples may be more of a problem than cursive.
I print on checks except for the signature...actually some high bred between printing and cursive. The signature has lost all the connection to its cursive roots by now.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I think that is an exaggeration that nobody uses checks anymore. Do you seriously never write checks? In any case, being able to sign your name is one important reason why cursive needs to be taught.
I do all of the shopping, pay all of the household bills, and pay all of the credit cards. I write 4 checks a year. Quarterly payments on my Luddite MetLife insurance policy, who do not accept any form of electronic or online payments. Everything else is either debit card or electronic transfer.

And your signature is NOT by definition in script or cursive. It can be anything from an 'X' to a fancy monogram to a doodle of a man smoking a pipe. It just needs to be more or less consistent. You don't need to READ a signature, just RECOGNIZE it.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many landlords and apartment complexes require it. Well, check or cashiers check, just not cash nor bank transfer.
And many do take electronic payments and bank transfers.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
How many millennials write checks?! Everything is electronic.

I voted Yes because average people should be able to read the Declaration of Independence and other documents for themselves. It should not be left up to a "priestly class" to interpret and filter those documents for us. I have other reasons but that's one of my reasons.
Sadly, the Declaration of Independence is in such poor condition that it is nearly impossible to read it anyway. I'm pretty sure that copies transliterated into standard print are still available online and in paper books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education