Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times

Advertisements

Here's a crazy idea. In about third grade, require children to learn 20 songs in 20 different languages. Simple 4-line childrens songs like "Frere Jacques".

First, we are going to teach them music anyway, so why not.

Second, to overcome their inhibition about foreign language study, which most older students hate. And to attune their ear early to new phonics

Third, maybe hey will be inspired learn where 20 countries are on a map, which most adults cannot do;

Fourth, to instill an appreciation for cultural values different from their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 09:35 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Better to choose one language and concentrate on it, rather than to choose 20 different languages. Better to start them as soon as they start school, in infant daycare, if possible, and if not possible, then nursery school, and definitely by kindergarten. The younger they are, the easier it is to learn language.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Better to choose one language and concentrate on it, rather than to choose 20 different languages. Better to start them as soon as they start school, in infant daycare, if possible, and if not possible, then nursery school, and definitely by kindergarten. The younger they are, the easier it is to learn language.
That would be useful only for kids that you intend to immerse into that particular language. But not much for the mainstream pupils.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Kids already do that in school. Heck we did that even back when I was in school. But they are only learning sounds, not a language. Heck I still have no idea who "Fairy Jockey" is and never had a desire to find out. Just that music class was one more chore in my day.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:13 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
That would be useful only for kids that you intend to immerse into that particular language. But not much for the mainstream pupils.
Not necessarily true. I was raised in the Roman Catholic church and we sang a lot of songs in Latin. We were given the words as well, so we weren't just trying to memorize the sounds we'd heard.

I've never studied Latin formally but at age 65 I'm fluent in French, pretty decent in German, and can skim newspapers in Italian and Spanish and get an idea what's going in- because Latin was a base. I did study French in HS and German in college.

Immersing kids in ANY foreign language is good but I agree that it should be only one to start with. They need an awareness that the whole world doesn't speak English. They need the benefit of information sources from other places (I learn a lot from news and documentaries in French and German). They need to learn the principles of grammar. And they need to start early.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:45 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
..Immersing kids in ANY foreign language is good but I agree that it should be only one to start with. They need an awareness that the whole world doesn't speak English. They need the benefit of information sources from other places (I learn a lot from news and documentaries in French and German). They need to learn the principles of grammar. And they need to start early.
I agree that we should include a foreign language early, even first grade or kindergarten. That's when the mind is most able to take it in. And it should be taught in a natural manner. By the time I took German in college, my brain was formed which made it very hard. Plus we spent most of the time learning German grammar and such. I could conjugate the heck out of German verbs, but never got the hang of actually speaking and hearing in German.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
My daughter teaches music in a Pk - 9 school. for the older kids, they sing songs in different languages at times, even Latin. A few parents complain some, but not enough to matter. there are always some parents complaining no matter what you do. Sing only in English and someone will complain about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education