U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:25 AM

7 posts, read 4,913 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2016 and the poster is no longer a member of city-data.

I know the general age for seniors is 17-18, but is 19 uncommon? I know there can be 20 year old hs students but that's more uncommon, so is being a 19 year old senior in hs as uncommon as being a 20 year old hs student?

Last edited by toobusytoday; Today at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 11:33 AM

12,485 posts, read 27,335,575 times
In Pennsylvania students with special needs can be in school until they are 20 years old. Also, as more and more children are held back by their parents, the average age would be going up. I'm sure there are many kids who are 19 by the time they graduate, not that many when they start their senior year.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 4,913 times
I mean without having special needs or being held back,like they turn 19 in senior year and graduate at 19

Old 10-12-2016, 12:08 PM

20,423 posts, read 36,239,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarekiller View Post
I mean without having special needs or being held back,like they turn 19 in senior year and graduate at 19
??

If they are NOT special needs and if they have NEVER been held back, what is the reason for graduating at 19?

Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 PM

21,310 posts, read 15,483,748 times
Not uncommon at all.

Depends on the birth date cut-off in each state.

One of my granddaughters missed the cut-off for kindergarten so she was almost six when she started the following year.

She turned 19 just after starting her senior year of HS.

I know several kids in the same situation as they have birthdays in Oct/Nov/Dec.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:23 PM

49,530 posts, read 40,034,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
??

If they are NOT special needs and if they have NEVER been held back, what is the reason for graduating at 19?
I have a kid that was in that situation due to an in-between birthday and our decision to hold him back instead of push them ahead.

We live in an excellent area for schools so we didn't have to worry about them getting bored academically.

They got an academic full-ride to college. *shrug*

Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 PM

20,423 posts, read 36,239,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have a kid that was in that situation due to an in-between birthday and our decision to hold him back instead of push them ahead.
Okay, but the OP specially says not held back.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:29 PM

4,247 posts, read 3,585,531 times
This might not answer your question, but there are 2 reasons I can immediately think of.

In some parts of the country it is not uncommon for parents to position their children who they believe are prospective college athletes to graduate/participate in sports at the oldest allowable age. This can result in their children graduating from HS at 19.

Also in lower socio economic areas (for instance Indian reservations) there are 19 year olds in High School. This is result of school district efforts to either get drop outs back in school or low achievers completely through the system culminating in graduation...many times these kids have tough obstacles to overcome in just getting to & staying in class each day. Low achievement can be a result of chronic absenteeism rather than poor academic abilities. Our state has made efforts to help get these kids at least a high school education. There are also strong GED programs in place to attempt decrease number of young people without a HS diploma or equivalent.

Plus I believe there may be additional federal money available to public schools. 19 year olds are listed in a separate column on district enrollment reports which usually indicates a different funding formula for those students. More money usually results in more participants.

Last edited by historyfan; 10-12-2016 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-12-2016, 12:39 PM

21,310 posts, read 15,483,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
??

The following link shows cut-offs for each state.

As I noted in my earlier post, kids with birthdays that fall after the cut-off date will commonly turn 19 when they are seniors in HS.

Kindergarten Entrance Age

Old 10-12-2016, 12:42 PM

496 posts, read 345,015 times
I am confused, as to why someone would be 19 in HS, if they didn't start school late, fail enough classes to require an additional year or have some type of special needs. I do know a couple of kids with April birthdays who were red shirted and thus will graduate a month or so after they turn 19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or