Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 08:24 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times

Advertisements

My English Teacher from 10th grade, Got fired for having a relationship with one of her students. (Not 100% sure she was fired, I think her contract was not renewed, She was still in probationary period), Since a few years later she was teaching in a different district.

He was 16, She was ~24

They got married, she had a baby boy from him, and after 40years they are still married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 09:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
I had no teachers who were fired, including the one who barely spoke any English causing most students to not be able to understand her and the teacher who taught nothing and spent the entire class talking about football and how evil whites, Christians, and Republicans were. However, I went to school in California where it's incredibly difficult and expensive to fire a teacher with tenure.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:31 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Our local district has had a lot of "issues" (that I have talked about in the Colorado Springs forum) due to a gentrified (fossilized?) boundary area where the mill/levy bond issues keep being defeated.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ed-d-11-a.html

As in no money since prior to 1999. They have gone through 2 main sweeps of school closures. They retain/move those they want to keep & the rest fend for themselves in the outlying districts.

Standardized test scores would weigh in heavily on this process. It's frustrating as a parent for there to be constant interruptions in the continuity.

I suspect that they are having issues with forced early retirements also. Not sure but just a nagging feeling.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:31 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
One got fired for diddling kids. Another got fired for walking around in his socks (no shoes) to protest a dress code or something. Yet another got fired for being some sort of activist. This was in the 60's.

Finally the one who didn't get fired, never got caught throwing wild drug and sex parties in Laguna Beach, CA. I met Timothy Leary (the guy who developed LSD) at her house. LOL. PS, never took lsd myself, but saw some bizare stuff from people on it. LOL

Old 11-21-2016, 12:46 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I met Timothy Leary (the guy who developed LSD)

Leary had nothing to do with the development of LSD. That was Albert Hofmann at Sandoz Laboratories in Switzerland.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:58 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I didn't have him for a class, but the baseball coach who later became athletic director was fired for an affair with a 17 year old girl. He ultimately got a couple years probation and was ordered to never work with kids again, but did no time.

We worked out at the same gym for several years and lifted together from time to time. I thought he was a nice guy but he engaged in "locker room" talk about girls even then - in hindsight, it was just incredibly stupid.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:02 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I didn't have him for a class, but the baseball coach who later became athletic director was fired for an affair with a 17 year old girl.......
In my former system teachers who did that got an office with a Vice Principal plate on the door.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:22 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In my former system teachers who did that got an office with a Vice Principal plate on the door.
He was well-liked and his family was well-connected in the community. I'm sure that had a big part to play in it.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:11 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Our local district has had a lot of "issues" (that I have talked about in the Colorado Springs forum) due to a gentrified (fossilized?) boundary area where the mill/levy bond issues keep being defeated.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ed-d-11-a.html

As in no money since prior to 1999. They have gone through 2 main sweeps of school closures. They retain/move those they want to keep & the rest fend for themselves in the outlying districts.

Standardized test scores would weigh in heavily on this process. It's frustrating as a parent for there to be constant interruptions in the continuity.

I suspect that they are having issues with forced early retirements also. Not sure but just a nagging feeling.
When we moved to the Springs over 25 years ago, we were told even then to avoid D11. Just during the time we lived there, there was an obvious difference between how D11 was run and perceived by the community vs D20, or even D49 for that matter. And it showed up in home prices and home sales.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:20 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
None who were fired, but I had a teacher for second grade who dropped dead in the classroom when I was in third grade. My brother was in second grade when it happened. We only had one class for each grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education