Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 04:10 AM

525 posts, read 406,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'd like to ask what exactly a standardized test for a prek student looks like. How is it administered?
This is what I am trying to find out. I am not sure if these tests were from the County school board or Florida's DOE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 04:21 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
My classroom consists of diverse learners which is why I am required to differentiate my plans.
And? What's your point? Do you think that is some how unique?

Quote:
Using standardized testing as a way to measure a students ability for better achievement is a function
Function? A function of what exactly?

I would list the 50 yrs of research proving otherwise, but let's be honest, you wouldn't read it.

Saying that for the majority of students standardized test scores do not correlate with grades and achievement is a LIE.

It is an important concept and one would think that someone claiming a bachelors would understand that just because a metric has limits it isn't useless in the right conditions. Do you really. It understand that?

Quote:
A conflict to standarized testing is that they are administered in many districts as a tool for public school tracking, to measure a child's acdamic ability, and the format is only biased towards children that from privileged areas. These are proven facts.
Just because a tool can be used incorrectly is not a flaw of the tool. If you get hurt using a chain saw to butter your toast does it mean chainsaws are useless at their intended use or that you are an idiot?

Quote:
I do not agree with state testing being used for children as young as Pre K. It is absurd.
Ok. So? I made no statement about using it in daycare one way or the other. But that isn't what you originally asked, and you have in fact just "moved the goal posts". If you're trying to make that point, lying about the utility of appropriately using standardized tests does not make it for you. It just makes you look uninformed.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What are cultural lesson plans? I have a M.ED and I've never heard of them. Of course I may not be fully understanding your post, it's hard to read. You should get a new phone.

I am assuming that cultural means a lesson plan or curriculum for diverse students in the aspects of race,economic background, and geographical location. I've never heard of cultural in education, but I am not a veteran in this field so I may not be familiar with every term thrown around. I am explaining about using differention when designing a lesson plan. From what I've been researching, they are being used as the only tools to help students prepare for standardize testing. Many teachers do not have a guides to help prepare students for state testing. State testing rarely have what children have learned in school.
I have learned this from experience as well.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
& if you're so for standardize testing why are teachers are required to make lesson plans that are differentiated or cultural as way to get students prepared for a test that is anything but cultural?
It is disturbing that someone claiming to be a teacher has such poor reading skills.

I am not "so for" standardized testing, I said and continue to say it is a useful tool if used correctly. You do not seem to understand that.

It is downright dangerous to assume that students who have been taught using differentiated techniques can only demonstrate their gains through a matching assessment. That is not even part of the DI model posited by even the most rabid DI devotees.

Additionally, you seem to think the term differentiated means the same thing as "cultural" it does not. And while I get you are in love with the term differentiated, please give us an example of how you differentiate "cultural" lesson plans for daycare kids. I would love to know.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And? What's your point? Do you think that is some how unique?

Function? A function of what exactly?

I would list the 50 yrs of research proving otherwise, but let's be honest, you wouldn't read it.

Saying that for the majority of students standardized test scores do not correlate with grades and achievement is a LIE.

It is an important concept and one would think that someone claiming a bachelors would understand that just because a metric has limits it isn't useless in the right conditions. Do you really. It understand that?

Just because a tool can be used incorrectly is not a flaw of the tool. If you get hurt using a chain saw to butter your toast does it mean chainsaws are useless at their intended use or that you are an idiot?

Ok. So? I made no statement about using it in daycare one way or the other. But that isn't what you originally asked, and you have in fact just "moved the goal posts". If you're trying to make that point, lying about the utility of appropriately using standardized tests does not make it for you. It just makes you look uninformed.

Firstly, Functional means that Education has many ways to make society functional or helpful. Conflict means Education has many aspects that hurt people rather than help.One of the biggest conflicts of education is standardize testing.

If states allow standardized testing to be used incorrectly isn't this a conflict in the system towards young children? The type of children that are more likely to get conflicted are those of a certain gender, race, and economic background. There are many intersectionons in education and those I listed are just a few.

I disagree with you when you stated that standardized testing make for better grades or student achievements.

My location:rural south
My gender: female
My race: Black
My economic background: Middle class

I was a top achiever in school but failed the math portion of my state standardized test. Although I had great grades in math, my ability to do math was based by what I scored on the state test. I was placed in remedial math where majority was people of color. My reading scores were high so I was placed in Advanced English or Reading classes where majority of the students were white. Do you realize what I am trying to explain?

Educational attainment was attainable to whites more than those of color due to the fact that many of the white students in my district were of a different cultural background. They were of the cultural background that the test favors.

That is why standardized testing makes education a conflict within society.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-30-2016 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: removed the Trump comment and fixed some typos

Old 11-30-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
I am assuming that cultural means a lesson plan or curriculum for diverse students in the aspects of race,economic background, and geographical location. I've never heard of cultural in education, but I am not a veteran in this field so I may not be familiar with every term thrown around. I am explaining about using differention when designing a lesson plan. From what I've been researching, they are being used as the only tools to help students prepare for standardize testing. Many teachers do not have a guides to help prepare students for state testing. State testing rarely have what children have learned in school.
I have learned this from experience as well.
You do know you are providing all of the talking points about why standardized tests should be used for teacher accountability right?

State tests are written using the state standards, teachers are supposed to be teaching the standards but some claim teachers are not so testing will identify which teachers don't teach the standards and which don't teach them effectively. You have literally just shown why standardized tests are being used in an inappropriate manner.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:45 AM

Quote:
It is disturbing that someone claiming to be a teacher has such poor reading skills.

I am not "so for" standardized testing, I said and continue to say it is a useful tool if used correctly. You do not seem to understand that.

It is downright dangerous to assume that students who have been taught using differentiated techniques can only demonstrate their gains through a matching assessment. That is not even part of the DI model posited by even the most rabid DI devotees.

Additionally, you seem to think the term differentiated means the same thing as "cultural" it does not. And while I get you are in love with the term differentiated, please give us an example of how you differentiate "cultural" lesson plans for daycare kids. I would love to know.
Wow! So PreK children can't be diverse learners?
They do not have varying abilities because they aren't older? As someone that been in education a long time, you seem to lack any knowledge on Early child ed.

My students range from high learners to low learners. Just because they are in PreK does not mean that our lesson plans can not show any diversity or cultural activities.

Lesson plans that caters to every child's needs is significant in every grade.

Your stem students would not be who they are now if it wasn't for the the Early child hood educators that helped to mold their brains.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
You do know you are providing all of the talking points about why standardized tests should be used for teacher accountability right?

State tests are written using the state standards, teachers are supposed to be teaching the standards but some claim teachers are not so testing will identify which teachers don't teach the standards and which don't teach them effectively. You have literally just shown why standardized tests are being used in an inappropriate manner.

Many state tests do not have those standards. I am exactly not calling out teachers that does not teach those standards. How about teachers being loaded with students that are IEP. Many times these students are rarely being assesed by an ESE professional. More than likely they will score low on the tests and the teacher will be held accountable.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Firstly, Functional means that Education has many ways to make society functional or helpful. Conflict means Education has many aspects that hurt people rather than help.One of the biggest conflicts of education is standardize testing.
You wrote "Using standardized testing as a way to measure a students ability for better achievement is a function" what does that mean? Because as it has written you have not specified what it is a function of. With your added info you appear to have written that standardized tests are "helpful" while you have argued against it in every other post. You are the epitome of an unclear writer.

And now you wrote "conflicts of education", do you mean conflicts in education.

Quote:
If states allow standadarize testing to be used incorrectly isn't this a conflict in the system towards young children? The type of children that are more likely to get conflicted are those of a certain gender, race, and economic background. There are many intersectionailities in education and those I listed are just a few.
Why would the children be conflicted???? Conflict towards??? What does that even mean?

Are you trying to suggest that standardized test are biased against certain groups? If so please remember I was the one who brought that up, and yes, that is why I have stated over and over it should be just one of many assessment tools to measure achievement.

Quote:
I disagree with you when you stated that standadarize testing make for better grades or student achievements.
I am not at all surprised that is what you THOUGHT T I said. But the term correlation does imply causality. That means it does not MAKE better grades, it just measures the same increases, that supports its usefulness when used correctly.

Quote:
My location:rural south
My gender: female
My race: Black
My economic background: Middle class

I was a top achiever in school but failed the math portion of my state standadrized test. Although I had great grades in math, my ability to do math was based by what I scored on the state test. I was placed in remedial math where majority was people of color. My reading scores were high so I was placed in Advanced English or Reading classes where majority of the students were white. Do you realize what I am trying to explain?
One, a single anecdote does not counter hundreds of research articles.

And again, whoever put you in advanced English did you a disservice, you should have remained in classes which could have strengthen your grammar, and reading skills. You have many problems communicating and understanding what you read.

Quote:
Educational attainment was attainable to whites more than those of color due to the fact that many of the white students in my district were of a different cultural background. They were of the cultural background that the test favors.

That is why standadrized testing makes education a conflict within society.
For example, you keep using the word "conflict" incorrectly. Standardized testing may be a subject of conflict within the education community, but that is not what you wrote. I suspect you cannot understand the difference. That is a shame.

And for the last time, yes, standardized tests are culturally biased, hat is why they should not be the ONLY measure of achievement (as I have now stated a dozen times) but if you know their limitations, an using them correctly can have great utility.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-30-2016 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: removed previously deleted quote and your comment

Old 11-30-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Wow! So PreK children can't be diverse learners?
They do not have varying abilities because they aren't older? As someone that been in education a long time, you seem to lack any knowledge on Early child ed.

My students range from high learners to low learners. Just because they are in PreK does not mean that our lesson plans can not show any diversity or cultural activities.

Lesson plans that caters to every child's needs is significant in every grade.

Your stem students would not be who they are now if it wasn't for the the Early child hood educators that helped to mold their brains.
I have repeatedly answered you questions, even when you attack me personally based on nothing but calling you it on your unprofessional behavior and your gross lack of grammar and reading skills.

I ask again, please give an example of how you differentiate instruction for daycare students in a cultural lesson plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education