Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a school be better with uniforms for teachers and children?
Yes, it would be better 9 52.94%
No, it wouldn't be better 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:06 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,331,331 times

Advertisements

As a parent, I'm fine with uniforms. I'm a fan of simplicity.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:39 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,683,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Uniforms.......

I second that! The last school district I was in was just getting ready to implement school uniforms and then we moved. I don't see it happening here, but it would be easier on everyone. Kids wouldn't need to worry about what to wear, no one would be teased for not having the latest fashions, schools wouldn't need to worry about dress codes as much and it would be less on the parents pocket book!

Old 12-06-2016, 02:57 PM

50,293 posts, read 23,903,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, I'm sure many do. I happen to like the "don't sweat the small stuff" attitude better, though. Like, if the reigns are too tight the kids might rebel in other ways. You know, like the preacher's kid who winds up in jail.
Although not in dress, I'll tell you where I saw that concept work as you described.

When I became an assistant principal, the principal of the school was a picky dictator. Kids could hardly breathe (let alone staff). But out on the lawn, where kids waited for late buses, they were awful! Terrible!
Then that principal retired, and the incoming principal was more laid back. Suddenly, the kids were more laid back out waiting for late buses. Being controlled constantly is tough for anyone, including kids.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:21 PM

8,815 posts, read 15,252,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The only issue is that after 33 of teaching and administering, I can't think of more than a couple of instances where dress actually affected learning.

I think you just want for everyone else what you want.
We don't seem to have many issues either. I think uniforms aren't necessary unless there is a problem.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:27 PM

4,359 posts, read 4,200,847 times
Our school hasn't enforced the dress code for several years now and our students look like they fit in completely with the neighborhood outside. I see inches and inches of cleavage of breasts forced into clothing much too small for them. I see anal cleavage through the underwear of a startling variety of boxers and briefs that are sporting out between the waistband of the undershorts, just above the anal cleavage, and the waistband of the jeans, usually 4-8 inches below that of the undershorts, although many boys do wear the waistband of their jeans just below the bottom of their buttocks. I see bras under see-through shirts and belly button rings between midriff tops and low-rise jeans, even on the pregnant girls. Most jeans have gaping holes in them, some of them around the crotch area on both boys and girls. The most recent problem with the boys, apparently the in-thing right now, is that they are wearing wifebeaters (I hate the word too) and hoodies, but no shirts. They are wearing underwear and outerwear, but no wear. I find it highly offensive. It is disturbing that our new principal has chosen to ignore it.

People who don't support a dress code have a very naïve view, in my opinion, of what 14- to 20-year-olds will wear if given the chance. I agree that kids should be dressed in a business casual manner for everyday. Jeans with no holes and the waistband at the natural waist for boys, and no bellies showing for girls should be the bare minimum of what is expected. The bad thing for us is that the parents often dress the same way, possibly because they are usually only 14-16 years older than their kids and still in their early 30's themselves.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:44 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,322,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The reason they went to uniforms for most of the public schools around here (except High School) is so kids wouldn't be distracted by what Janie or Jimmy is wearing and even the poor kids would look pretty much the same as the richer kids.
Until the kids start using things like designer handbags and jewelry to distinguish themselves.

My issue with uniforms is with the inequality it can create between men and women, specifically if the female students have to buy their skirts, blazers, sweaters etc... from an approved uniform company that charges insane prices while the males can go to T.JMaxx for everything they wear.

My biggest issue being Catholic school uniforms with the female students wearing the typical "school girl uniform" that makes them look like they belong in a Britney Spears music video or an adult film.

I'm also uncomfortable with male teachers being tasked with deciding if a girls skirt is too short or her top is too tight, it seems many dress codes deal with females not being sexy and distracting the boys from their learning with not much concern for the males.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:42 PM

4,359 posts, read 4,200,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Until the kids start using things like designer handbags and jewelry to distinguish themselves.

My issue with uniforms is with the inequality it can create between men and women, specifically if the female students have to buy their skirts, blazers, sweaters etc... from an approved uniform company that charges insane prices while the males can go to T.JMaxx for everything they wear.

My biggest issue being Catholic school uniforms with the female students wearing the typical "school girl uniform" that makes them look like they belong in a Britney Spears music video or an adult film.

I'm also uncomfortable with male teachers being tasked with deciding if a girls skirt is too short or her top is too tight, it seems many dress codes deal with females not being sexy and distracting the boys from their learning with not much concern for the males.
This is one reason why so many men won't address a girl's violations but they will address the boys'. Also, for me it isn't so much the problem of the girls distracting the boys, but rather to put everyone's focus on instruction rather than on tantalizing clothing that is designed to draw the eye to the private parts. It's just inappropriate to go to a formal setting dressed for a dance club.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,427,335 times
Uniforms. Life would be so much easier without cleavage and camel toe mixing with hormones....

Old 12-06-2016, 06:44 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,213,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My son loves having a dress code/uniform. He doesn't have to think about what to wear, he just wears the same things every day. No muss, no fuss. Makes my life so much easier too.

I think he'll end up being the kind of adult who wears pretty much the same thing every day - khakis and a polo shirt with the logo of where he works. (He's most likely going to end up in some type of engineering or tech company where that is the norm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As a parent, I'm fine with uniforms. I'm a fan of simplicity.
Loved having uniforms when my kids were in Catholic school.

So easy.
---------------------------

The school they are in now has a dress code.

The girls get away with a lot. I see Ugg boots & those Ugg slippers (that they wear as every-day shoes) everywhere.

Boys have to wear dress shoes at all times.

Girls aren't "allowed" to wear leggings or colored jeans, but they do.

Boys have to wear ties if they wear a l/s button down shirt. If they wear a school shirt (to the tune of $60) or sweatshirt, they don't need a tie or to tuck in.

Girls are supposed to keep to the "no more than an inch above the knee for skirt" rule, but I've seen some, plenty, actually, girls wearing short spring dresses where if they so much as lean forward they'd put a show on for all to see.

Yes, I have addressed the issue with the admin. What's the point in having a dress code spelled out in the handbook if it's not going to be enforced? I get crickets.

I went to the same school (independent private) from 5th - 12th. Our dress code was very different and demerits were handed out on a daily basis for being in violation of the dress code.

So it was a little strange to see kids walking around in sneakers (lower grades), polo shirts..and untucked at that (in the middle and upper schools).

Boys had to wear l/s button down shirts with a tie & blazer every day. Dress pants & dress shoes.

Girls were not allowed to wear leggings unless under a skirt. Mini-skirts were not allowed to be worn.

Dress shoes (no open toed, no flip flops, no sandals) always. Pants with a blazer. Wanted to wear a sweater with your pants? Had to wear a blazer.

When I first started my inquiry in to my alma mater I met with an admissions admin who had been there when I was still in HS. I asked her why the change in the dress code? She said that "studies" have proven that a strict code does nothing to enhance the learning/academic environment, so they had lightened up over the past few years.

Ok, but it sure makes the kids look sharp & like they care about how the present themselves. Apparently that's about it. I guess.

When it comes to kids "outdoing" one another when wearing uniforms or having a dress code?

Back in "my day" of a super-strict dress code? The RL, the Gucci, the Fendi and the Louis V. and the jewelry were going to be there no matter what...for those who were so inclined.

Today? For those who are so inclined & even with a lax dress code? It's Vineyard Vines, mommy's old Hermes, Van Cleef & Arpels. Even while sporting a pair of Uggs & an unwashed pineapple.

Last edited by Informed Info; 12-06-2016 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 07:24 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,358,031 times
Went to a private school. Didn't matter the gender of the teacher, they corrected students who disregarded the uniform code. Straight to the nurses office to have our parent called. Demerits were common and affected our scores.
As a female we were elated when pant suits became an option uniform.
The boys had ties and us gals had a ribbon tie with our white collared shirts.
Loved the beret hats we got to wear

I recall a principal using marker on our knees and said...any skirt that is more then one inch higher from this dash will.be charged for a new skirt. And they had plenty of sample skirts for us to wear if we goofed. Trust me...a mid calf bulky skirt worn once was enough to make us abide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education