U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
20,224 posts, read 9,554,139 times
Reputation: 19281

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
It’s the truth though. The Internet is a powerful educational resource. And more and more educational programs are being offered online. And many brick-and-mortar academic institutions are expanding their online programs. Sitting in a classroom in order to be “educated” is becoming outdated. But many traditionalists who became “educated” via the standard route want to feel that their way is the best way, so they like to disparage education or learning that takes place outside the traditional classroom.
I think you're missing the point.

Learning online with guidance from an institution is not the same thing as "self education" (which is the topic of the thread).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2019, 03:52 PM
 
1,873 posts, read 1,361,554 times
Reputation: 2719
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you're missing the point.

Learning online with guidance from an institution is not the same thing as "self education" (which is the topic of the thread).
Fair enough. But self education is still education and should not be dismissed as being inferior to traditional in-class or in-school learning. Many brilliant, smart, successful people are self educated. Attending university or state school or any other type of academic institution is not the only way to be come "educated"; and it's not necessarily the best way, either. I think it just depends. Too many factors and variables that could potentially make one better or worse than the other. Obviously if a degree or certificate is needed for a particular job or career, then one needs to be "officially" educated in some subject or course of study at an accredited academic institution -- that I am not debating at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
20,224 posts, read 9,554,139 times
Reputation: 19281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Fair enough. But self education is still education and should not be dismissed as being inferior to traditional in-class or in-school learning. Many brilliant, smart, successful people are self educated. Attending university or state school or any other type of academic institution is not the only way to be come "educated"; and it's not necessarily the best way, either. I think it just depends. Too many factors and variables that could potentially make one better or worse than the other. Obviously if a degree or certificate is needed for a particular job or career, then one needs to be "officially" educated in some subject or course of study at an accredited academic institution -- that I am not debating at all.
I have know a couple of people who consider themselves very well self-educated. Do you know why...because they STUDY conspiracy thinking websites and publications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 10:42 PM
 
6,238 posts, read 3,343,547 times
Reputation: 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have know a couple of people who consider themselves very well self-educated. Do you know why...because they STUDY conspiracy thinking websites and publications.
I know you and I often publicly disagree, so I'm going to just as publicly give you two thumbs up here. Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 10:49 PM
 
1,873 posts, read 1,361,554 times
Reputation: 2719
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have know a couple of people who consider themselves very well self-educated. Do you know why...because they STUDY conspiracy thinking websites and publications.
I know one guy like that, but he was "educated" at USC and is a dentist. But he did introduce me to InfoWars and Alex Jones, so make of that what you will. And he's also always talking about "end-of-days" scenarios and about how I should be stocking up on food and ammunition and guns, etc. He also advises me to buy as much precious metals as possible and to avoid using any banks. He's an interesting fellow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
20,224 posts, read 9,554,139 times
Reputation: 19281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I know you and I often publicly disagree, so I'm going to just as publicly give you two thumbs up here. Well said.
This is getting scary. We actually agreed twice in two days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
20,224 posts, read 9,554,139 times
Reputation: 19281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I know one guy like that, but he was "educated" at USC and is a dentist. But he did introduce me to InfoWars and Alex Jones, so make of that what you will. And he's also always talking about "end-of-days" scenarios and about how I should be stocking up on food and ammunition and guns, etc. He also advises me to buy as much precious metals as possible and to avoid using any banks. He's an interesting fellow!
The fact that he's interesting isn't the point.

Having been a teacher, I'll tell you what I think a teacher is -- a guide through the jungle of information, whether that's old-fashioned books or digital media.

All too often, the worse mistake a learner makes is not knowing what he doesn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 11:40 PM
 
9,731 posts, read 4,196,667 times
Reputation: 14614
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Fair enough. But self education is still education and should not be dismissed as being inferior to traditional in-class or in-school learning.
What age range are you referring to? K-12 or college? Instructors in k-12 are called teachers because they "teach". College instructors are called "professors" because they don't "teach" in the same way. College students are adults who are understood to have the ability to learn on their own from material. Professors are more a mentor/resource to guide the students. You have a question about the material? Ask the professor. Need help finding more resources? Professor. Want a gold star for doing homework? Ask your parents.

The difference in having a "mentor" is you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time you want to learn something new. You might be able to learn it on your own, but how do you know you are applying it correctly if you didn't make the mistake already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 11:40 AM
 
1,873 posts, read 1,361,554 times
Reputation: 2719
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The fact that he's interesting isn't the point.

Having been a teacher, I'll tell you what I think a teacher is -- a guide through the jungle of information, whether that's old-fashioned books or digital media.

All too often, the worse mistake a learner makes is not knowing what he doesn't know.
Yeah, but teachers can often get lost in their own egos and forget that they are fallible human beings just like everyone else is. Teachers still need to learn. Teachers still make mistakes. And teachers, obviously, don’t know everything. And this applies to all types of so-called “teachers.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
20,224 posts, read 9,554,139 times
Reputation: 19281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Yeah, but teachers can often get lost in their own egos and forget that they are fallible human beings just like everyone else is. Teachers still need to learn. Teachers still make mistakes. And teachers, obviously, don’t know everything. And this applies to all types of so-called “teachers.”
That applies to all people...including you and me.

But what I'm talking about is a teacher/professor having an overview of a content area that an independent learner can't get from an internet source.

But frankly, the way you expressed yourself above...that's just an anti-education, anti-educator rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top