U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 08:39 AM

89 posts, read 9,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
My own personal experience says yes to the question.

I already had basic skills (reading, writing, math and others). I worked at a place selling newspaper trial subscriptions. This is something that's not taught at school.

I was given a script to work with (which included "selling points" - an euphemism for objection rebuttals). Through serendipity and scientific means, I've taught myself to sell and I mean sell well. Since my thinking was outside of the box, I know that my knowledge would never be duplicated at a selling school. I can say that I heavily tested my ideas with great success.

Do you have any personal experience where you feel that teaching yourself is far better than what you could learn at a school?

EdX

I would recommend doing both at the same time. Use self-education to build a specific skill-set related to your degree track. Pursue a degree that has lots of jobs and a strong hiring trend in the real-world. I work in academia so also keep this in mind, a lot of academics have never held a job outside of academia and are really clueless when it comes to the job market outside of the bubble of higher ed. I can't count the number times I have heard someone in academia say major in this (useless major with no real job prospects). Do your own research.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 03:05 PM

1,377 posts, read 989,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
I would recommend doing both at the same time. Use self-education to build a specific skill-set related to your degree track. Pursue a degree that has lots of jobs and a strong hiring trend in the real-world.
I am in electronics/computers and I agree with that completely. An inexpensive school might not be that good but the technology and the problems you have to solve on the job do not care where you got your knowledge.

Some online/computer classes might be far better than the school but employers may not know that.

https://www.udemy.com/crash-course-e...nd-pcb-design/

Old 02-18-2019, 09:43 AM

451 posts, read 167,600 times
A college education can not be beat in anyway. Only equal is somebody like your wife/girlfriend your father/mother your older sibling kicking your arse, with a pistol held behind you, and somebody on all fours with knee-pads just to get you to study. That is what it is really like self-education. You cant be working a slave job with odd hours and intensive labor You can't be living in la-la-land inside your imagination It is one of the $#$#@!$ things to do when your blinded by bs around you.

Old Today, 03:40 AM

2 posts
If you wanna study abroad, UK and Germany is not the only option. Try Poland, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or