Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you expect English to always be the primary language in the US?
Yes, English will always be the primary language in the US 92 93.88%
No, English will be replaced by another primary language 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 06:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,549,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
Take it in stride is one possibility. Any more thoughts?
It's sad to me.. how cavalier & naive a lot of Americans are about the conquest of their culture.

When your language is replaced by a foreign tongue, that typically means you are being replaced too. But taking it in stride is a likely possibility.

English language of First World United States being displaced by the Spanish language of encroaching Third World Latin America.. no big deal, nothing ominous.. it would just be a harmless push, right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 06:19 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Not worry about it. Pretty soon, if not already, our phones can do real-time translating from any language to any other.

Language is so 20th Century.
Pretty soon we'll all have chips in our heads that will translate every language in real time. How else will we communicate when the aliens arrive?

Old 12-07-2016, 09:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,854,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
It's sad to me.. how cavalier & naive a lot of Americans are about the conquest of their culture.
To be fair, my culture is not Anglo. I suppose lots of Americans are in the same boat. I adapted to Anglo-American culture so I expect I could adapt to Latin American culture at least as well. (At least Spanish spelling is less crazy than English spelling!)

Old 12-07-2016, 11:30 PM

210 posts, read 565,329 times
Way to fall into the Republicans' fear mongering. As a young Latino, all of the younger generation Latinxs I know speak English more comfortably. So don't worry. Though knowing another language won't harm you...

Old 12-08-2016, 05:16 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,246,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The world must also be made up of "English bigots", because that's the language of international business. And that's one HUGE advantage.
For the same reason QWERTY is unstoppable.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:07 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
Obviously, learn Spanish.

But it won't. Spanish speakers in the United States are imported, not made. The children of Spanish-speaking immigrants speak English. And, yes, we know this.

IV. Language Use among Latinos | Pew Research Center

We've been through this before, importing non-English tongues into the United States. Eventually, they die out. And, no, in the days of yore immigrants didn't drop everything to learn English, mythical idealizations of our ancestors' behavior notwithstanding.

In Rural Wisconsin, German Reigned For Decades : NPR

Old 12-08-2016, 06:28 AM

8,046 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystripe View Post
I would start drinking some Jarritos.
You should start now. It's better than Goya because they use real sugar.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:29 AM

274 posts, read 252,540 times
Yo aprendería el español. ¡Si usted no puede decir la lengua, salga del país!

Old 12-08-2016, 06:37 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times
Not happening. We can take on additional languages, but English will always be primary. It is the most widely spoken language by number of countries who speak it, and is a global business language.

Additionally, the Spanish speakers that were born here almost all speak English. The last couple of generations are bilingual. They are more likely to lose their language than we are (just like many foreign families after enough generations).

My family up until my great grandparents spoke German. Aside from faint memories of them and maybe a few words in my vocabulary, I don't speak German. I'm sure this happens in families all of the time.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:35 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,549,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
To be fair, my culture is not Anglo. I suppose lots of Americans are in the same boat. I adapted to Anglo-American culture so I expect I could adapt to Latin American culture at least as well.
Frost, fair enough.. But my point is, would you consider that adaptation (to a Latinized United States) a positive development (?)

If you're over the age of 18, I assume you're living in the predominately Anglo-culture US by choice.. and not living in a Third World Latin American country, also by conscious choice.
I think 'expecting' to adapt to life in a Third World society, is as easy as integrating into a prosperous First World society, is naive. But that's speculation on my part. peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education