Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times

Advertisements

Many good colleges will only count a limited number of AP toward the degree. So you may stack up a lot of AP courses but doesn't mean you get to skip everything. Often this is by both total credits and subject limited as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:19 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Many good colleges will only count a limited number of AP toward the degree. So you may stack up a lot of AP courses but doesn't mean you get to skip everything. Often this is by both total credits and subject limited as well.
Also many colleges won't accept AP credit in the major. My oldest son had a 4 and a 5 in Calculus AB and BC (the AB score was then kicked up to a 5 because of his 5 in BC) and a 5 in Physics but got zero AP credit from UMDCP because he was in Engineering.

Both daughters got 4s and 5s in various subjects but didn't get credit, again because of the scores being in their majors. This was from Slippery Rock and Towson.

Our youngest son couldn't spell Ape if you spotted him the A and P. He also is the smartest of the four.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
If you really had that many credit you CLEP'd your entire first year of college. Perhaps that is why you were stressed.

Anyway, the primary problem with our education system is parental involvement. That is the biggest road block to a child's success. Far more so than any politician or left behind policy.

Yes, it's well known that parents are scum, and if they'd all just turn over their kids to, well, who? The teachers don't want to raise the kids, and I don't blame them. I am so tired of parents being bashed on these ed forums.

After that, the biggest impediment is the failure of our system to hold back kids that simply can't pass or remove kids that are only distractions to the class room. This combined with a lack of Vocational training in many areas forces students with no business being in college prep into a remedial version of college prep with little option for anything else.

Oh, for Crying out Loud! I'm also quite tired of this meme that all students are forced into college prep curricula.

Third, school has very little hands on training. You learn geometry, algebra and such but there is very little actual hands on for the topics you learn. Even science lab is condensed into a very short class once a week in college and mostly glossed over in High Schools and virtually non existent in many middle and grammar schools.

We have all kinds of practical reasons to learn these things, yet kids are rarely allowed hands on experience with what they learn.

This ties in with your "Vocational Education" spiel. In point of fact, most schools do have Vo-tech programs. Also in point of fact, most of these are tied into community colleges these days. There is practically NOTHING in the line of trades, semi-professional jobs, etc that one can do straight out of HS with no additional education. Fast food and retail are about IT.

Another thing is you spend all this time in school and class, regurgitating the same topics over and over with every year delving a little deeper but you almost never have any actual real world knowledge when you leave.

Repetitive.

Schools should have classes about real world things as well. Information about insurance, loans, apartments, buying a home, credit card debt, medical stuff etc.. Even more important, kids should get exposed to different jobs and internships while in high school to help them better prepare for a college major worth a damn. The whole "What do you want to do when you grow up" is more or less one giant fairy tale that no adults tell the actual answers to and once high school is done many kids get shipped off to college without a freaking clue as to what the actual jobs they are looking at are about.
We have a thread going that touches on the bolds. http://www.city-data.com/forum/educa...hers-knew.html

College is more than vocational education. There is plenty of time in college to choose a career.

Mine in blue.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Also many colleges won't accept AP credit in the major. My oldest son had a 4 and a 5 in Calculus AB and BC (the AB score was then kicked up to a 5 because of his 5 in BC) and a 5 in Physics but got zero AP credit from UMDCP because he was in Engineering.

Both daughters got 4s and 5s in various subjects but didn't get credit, again because of the scores being in their majors. This was from Slippery Rock and Towson.

Our youngest son couldn't spell Ape if you spotted him the A and P. He also is the smartest of the four.
Also, also. . . many med schools won't accept AP chem or bio as a proper college course.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:07 AM

804 posts, read 545,126 times
Okay first off. You have exams that your children can take to bypass classes. You could home school them and even make them go to tutors and outside activities like little league. Not just college entrance exams. I am talking about employment exams. Take a lawyer for example. You will not make the greatest amount of money but make a decent amount of money. A big thing that holds everybody back is raising of standards. This over saturates everything. Summer school holds back peoples ability to grow during there time off. Similar to X new year or Cram schools.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Too funny! My son is absolutely brilliant, says all of his teachers and physicians...not in the gifted program though and his spelling could be better. He only gets 100% on his tests because we study hard the night before.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, I don't mean SE DC.

What naive teens are more susceptible about is not understanding the implications of doing/going certain places. It's why suspension and expulsion rates were highest in 7-8-9, and then began to gradually decline.
What? The students were expelled for going to certain parts of town? I must be misunderstanding...

Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 PM

50,784 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What? The students were expelled for going to certain parts of town? I must be misunderstanding...
You sure are.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:48 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You are. The example of bad part of town was to illustrate the lack of decision making and understanding consequences skills that age group has. That leads to higher suspension and expulsion rates for them in school.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
They had it made! - in 1912!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d60e64a44c49
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education