Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 PM

285 posts, read 1,091,063 times

Advertisements

In Brunswick County, NC, a student was denied bathroom use, and then made to sit in his own urine for the rest of the day.

A mother of a third grader at Jessie Mae Monroe Elementary said a teacher assistant refused to let her son go to the bathroom on Tuesday, February 26, 2008.

She said her son wet himself, but the teacher overseeing the class would not let him call home or get a change of clothing.

The mother also said he sat in urine for the rest of the day, which was about three hours.

Last edited by pegmomof4; 02-28-2008 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: added date of incident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,038 times
That's awful. Absolutely not ethical at all.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
That's terrible! The school board better fire that teacher and if I were the mother, I'd press charges. Absolutely ridiculous!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:35 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,796 times
This is horrible- what's worse, I am in this county now. My daughter will start school here in 2009. If that was my child I'd probably end up on CNN.... "North Carolina Mother Decks Teaching Assistant".

Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,407 times
I thought it was against the law to deny a child access to the lavatory (due to the potential health implications). I believe in NJ, if it isn't now, that it used to be. If such action isn't against the law it should be. I'd much rather have to face the occasional disruptive child asking to go to the bathroom too much then the health consequences of a child not being allowed to go.

I remember in 1st grade when one of my classmates was denied access to the bathroom and she wound up urinating all over herself in front of everyone. She was so humiliated & the teacher yelled at her (I think she may have just been reacting though in shock, overall she was a nice teacher).

Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
This is horrible- what's worse, I am in this county now. My daughter will start school here in 2009. If that was my child I'd probably end up on CNN.... "North Carolina Mother Decks Teaching Assistant".

No kidding! I would be too. Poor kid. Not only did he have to go through that humiliation, but he had to sit in it too.

When my daughter was in 2nd grade she was a bathroom maniac.....she was always asking to go - and always at the beginning of whatever they were doing. Well one day - the teacher told her to just wait till she finished the story and then she could go. My daughter would never argue or say "but I really have to go" so she just sat back down and ended up having an accident. The teacher felt sooooo bad she called me at work and apologized that this had happened. She was in tears - I could hear it in her voice. I know its hard for teachers to sometimes decide when a kid really needs to go, or if they are just trying to get out of class for whatever reason, but to then make him sit on it is plain abuse. I'd press charges and have that B**ch in jail.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 AM

285 posts, read 1,091,063 times
Default New Jersey is more progressive than North Carolina

It would not surprise me if New Jersey did have a law about protecting the rights of children in terms of bathroom use.

They passed a law in New Jersey in 1867, and that is not a typo, that would be 141 years ago, that teachers could no longer use corporal punishment, New Jersey 1867 NJ Permanent Statutes, Education 18A:6-1

The point that I continue to make, is that once the tone is set from the top, in states and school districts that allow educators to mistreat children, all sorts of abuse in the classroom is tolerated.

It will be very interesting to see how Brunswick County Schools handles this issue. I doubt that the teacher will lose her job.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
I would be -- forgive me for this -- soooo p*ssed off. Absolutely unacceptable to deny bathroom use, and then humiliate the poor kid.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:24 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Whenn my sister was in Middle School (8th grade!), a teacher refused to allow her to go to bathroom. Because of a medicine she takes, she can't hold it for very long. The class ended and everyone got up. As she was heading out the door..... she had an accident. For the rest of 8th grade and continuing into high school, she was (and is still) called "Peepee Mi-gee" by her peers. The teacher was fired for irritating a medical condition.

Still, imagine sitting at home when you get a call from the nurse at your sister's scool - saying that you need to bring her a change of clothes because she had an "accident".

Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,599 times
My daughter is in 3rd grade (and ironically we are in NC) and I would be LIVID. While I am the first one to say my daughter may go 'too much' ( not really, but make an excuse to leave class) or for the teacher to make sure shes 'really' sick ( cause shes good at faking)- I would be LIVID if this happened and then the teacher made her SIT in it!

Its one thing for the teacher to make him wait (when was the last time he had used the restroom?) but once there is a problem, she should have taken care of it immediatly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education