Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 06:37 AM

804 posts, read 545,587 times

Advertisements

40 is usually the defacto retirement age. The problem is that people are in situations that hurts that. I went to college recently and found a whole bunch of 30 something year old's giving it there all for a bachelors or even associates. Why? Because that is what they started with and whatever is next is a step into the right position.

Usually a masters indicates you want to teach and become a professor. Which can be a step in the right direction. Do they have PHD in this field as well? Otherwise go for your masters and prove something to yourself.

However will you get paid any more or less for the position you intend to play in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Are you dead? No?
Then it's not too late.

Quote:
40 is usually the de facto retirement age.
What? Where? In what universe?

Old 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times
I don't know in US but at least in Spain you will not retire at 40 unless you win the lottery.

Anyway, thank you very much for your support. Then, I will go ahead to study, I always feel good studying what makes me happy. I took a look at the syllabus and I love the fact that is focused on process engineering. I have been told is tough as any other engineering degree in Spain but I am completely sure worths it. I look at my past, I made terrible decisions but studying was the best thing I did in my life.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
It's not a question of age. Let's say when you complete this graduate program you'll be 34. How old will you be in two years if you don't go to graduate school?

Education, especially for a graduate degree, is an investment. The question is whether getting this master's degree will improve your employment prospects. A related question is that since it isn't clear whether you want to settle permanently in the United States, back in Spain, or somewhere else, will this particular degree from this particular institution help your employment prospects where you will be looking for a permanent job?

Old 02-09-2017, 12:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I was older than you when I went to college (went after I got out of the Navy). I know plenty of people who retired from the Navy and went to college after.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:36 PM

Well... I am now living in Mexico because after loosing my job in Spain I decided to come to this country to stay with my wife, who is a mexican PhD and working in a local university. I only got a fixed term contract. Tired to be unemployed for months over and over, I decided to come back Spain (I will do on 27th February to be exact), apply for jobs and study. Two years ago I had been told by a teammate this master has good job prospects since includes internships with top spanish companies, some people got hired after doing the internship period. This Master's Degree is shared between two well known universities in Spain and therefore both universities together have strengthened their agreements with companies. Also, tired of such situations, my wife is encouraging me even if that fails to seek for an university or company funding either in Spain or other countries in Europe and proceed with a PhD. She can work/study in Spain since has studied her PhD in Spain, therefore his PhD is an european degree.

I have been looking for jobs overseas without any avail, seems to be easy but put in practice in every country I have found many problems (visas, the need to be living there). I would like to work/study in the US during a period of time but is very unlikely to happen since I don't have anything legally speaking to stay there (I haven't tried hard there anyway), neither the money to pay a Masters Degree in the US and UK, both countries are too expensive for me right now.

I am now really motivated to get out this situation and also personally I want to have an higher level of education, independently of job prospects.

Edited: I know that unemployment rates in Spain sucks but if you have a decent job is a great country to live.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:36 PM

Also I will try to explain you the education in Spain and the changes in recent years.

When I was younger and studied my first degree, there were two kind of degrees: Diploma / Technical Engineerings (3 years) and Higher / Superior Engineerings (5 years). This in a context of old syllabus. I studied Diploma / Technical Engineering (3 years) but surprise! could no longer be valid in other countries. Now with our financial crisis and unemployment, there are a lot of engineers trying to work in european countries such as Germany. I found a case of a woman something like Diploma / Technical Architecture and had been told that her degree hadn't any competences in Germany, therefore, she couldn't work in Germany because her degree was no longer accepted there. By the time I decided to continue studying, the old syllabus and degrees changed with European Higher Education Area and Bologna Process; those countries that signed this agreement have the same competences / credits as any other country that signed such agreement. The list is extensive: Austria, belarus, Croatia, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, UK, Spain, Russia, ... That means that now with the new syllabus a Bachelors Degree is the same in all those countries. I studied the Bachelors in Chemical Engineering at 27 years old. Everytime I have a job interview in other european country I swear explaining how on earth is a Diploma / Technical Engineering that no longer exist, I used to say is like an Associates Degree as known in US (but is not the same). The Master I want to study is exactly the Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering and in the same way as new Bachelors Degrees, has been aproved by European Union to be the official degree of a Master's Degree. At least I have some countries (mainly european) where both degrees are completely valid. To work in the US I have no idea how similar could be a Bachelors Degree in Europe and US and if those can be valid for example for an american to work in Europe or for an european to work in US. Several professionals around the world have the same problem as this spaniard woman that couldn't work in Germany because her degree was no longer valid there. What European Union did with European Higher Education Area and Bologna Process is amazing for EU citizens because now spaniards have our degrees recognized outside Spain and the new Bachelors Degree syllabus in Spain is also quite similar as other non european countries so our Bachelors are more valid than previous degrees.

In the case I study the Masters Degree (that is highly likely) I expect there is no need to bother again explaining how on earth is a Diploma Engineer.

As for my professional life... I have some industry experience that I made between one degree and another.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:43 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Hi,
Currently I am 31, 3 months later, 32. Do you think I am in a good age to continue studying?
Absolutely.

I was in and out of school through my late teens and twenties, then completed a degree program in my early thirties. The students ranged from twenty-somethings who were relatively new to the work force, to sixty-somethings who were starting another career.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2017, 03:27 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,079 times
Pssh, my great-uncle went back to school in his 60s and received his PhD at 70 years old. You're never too old to go back to school.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
31 now, 32 in may.
Anyone who counts their age in terms of how old they'll be in a few months is plenty young enough to go back to school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities