Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 04:35 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Just because the kids don't know certain facts does not mean that those facts are not being taught. I would love to see the actual curriculum guide for the schools you are talking about.
This is likely the true story.

Elementary students are typically receiving a much better education in science, social studies, and writing compared to what I received in the 1960s. I think students were more proficient in basic math (not pre-algebra or geometry) in the 1960s because we spent more time on the basics such as multiplication, division, fractions, and decimals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 04:50 PM

804 posts, read 544,636 times
Well it sounds like they are attempting to enlist the students into college and gambling the reason for their failure is lack of attention to writing skills. I will admit in college I bombed in the writing department and this is what held many students back. Thanks to former President Obama for removing the ability for remedial students to take advantage of FASA to keep retaking these classes many students stop going to college ( which is bad ).

My problem is that many professors lack the ability to comprehend writing in general or give a student a pass go. Usually when it comes to writing in general many professors would rather be teaching a creative writing course over any remedial courses. However some professors in dred situations fails to understand the needs of the students in general. So that should answer why a school would abandon the sciences.

Another issue in my area at least is that because or removal of various exit exams established during the 1990's the University had to find some way to gain income. Usually they would force failing students to retake the exit course by pushing them into a remedial ( get it ) course. However now they have to take a half/half course of science. Basically an alternative to taking a real Biology course.

A bigger issue is the variety of sciences in schools. In my high-school we had anatomy but that was gone because the teacher had retired. Instead they gave us an alternative for biology called life-sciences. So your basically learning biology. However many of us went towards chemistry and that was challenging enough.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:10 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Well, what are you doing about it besides peevishly posting on a general-interest internet bulletin board? Have you contacted college professors to back you up? How about textbook publishers? Hint: Don't mention that you think you're smarter than everyone; you'll sound like a crank.
I don't really give a damn about how they count continents, it is just strange that they can count them so stupidly. Maybe the real purpose of school is to produce people that think what they are told regardless of what they see. What I find curious is that so many people have threads on dozens of websites about what is wrong with what the people running the schools are doing or not doing.

But the Internet and the computer technology that makes all of this bitching possible is also a possible solution if we cooperate in sharing information. So I mention Project Gutenberg a lot since it is a source of FREE material, including some stuff I had to read in school. They just went over 54,000 books. If only 5% are worthwhile that is a goodly number.

But as you can see when I point out some stuff, like that link to Youtube, people tell me it isn't relevant to the thread.

Like it is OK to b**** but not OK to propose solutions.

The smartphone in my pocket right now is more powerful than any computer you could find when I was in grade school. So why should we be so concerned about school? The problem is what to do with the technology.

But our professional educators don't seem to be able to figure that out:

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/los-angeles-edtech/

Of course the tech companies can't be trusted either.

psik

Last edited by psikeyhackr; 02-14-2017 at 05:52 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 05:14 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Well it sounds like they are attempting to enlist the students into college and gambling the reason for their failure is lack of attention to writing skills. I will admit in college I bombed in the writing department and this is what held many students back. Thanks to former President Obama for removing the ability for remedial students to take advantage of FASA to keep retaking these classes many students stop going to college ( which is bad ).

My problem is that many professors lack the ability to comprehend writing in general or give a student a pass go. Usually when it comes to writing in general many professors would rather be teaching a creative writing course over any remedial courses. However some professors in dred situations fails to understand the needs of the students in general. So that should answer why a school would abandon the sciences.

Another issue in my area at least is that because or removal of various exit exams established during the 1990's the University had to find some way to gain income. Usually they would force failing students to retake the exit course by pushing them into a remedial ( get it ) course. However now they have to take a half/half course of science. Basically an alternative to taking a real Biology course.

A bigger issue is the variety of sciences in schools. In my high-school we had anatomy but that was gone because the teacher had retired. Instead they gave us an alternative for biology called life-sciences. So your basically learning biology. However many of us went towards chemistry and that was challenging enough.
It's FAFSA, not FASA and no one could "take advantage of it" since it's the application to fill out to apply for aid, not a source of financial aid.

And if someone has to keep retaking remedial classes, perhaps college is not the right fit for them, regardless of who pays for those classes.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll bet this post is full of incorrect information.
That was my exact thought when I read the OP.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:32 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
I don't really give a damn about how they count continents, it is just strange that they can count them so stupidly. Maybe the real purpose of school is to produce people that think what they are told regardless of what they see. What I find curious is that so many people have threads on dozens of websites about what is wrong with what the people running the schools are doing or not doing.

But the Internet and the computer technology that makes all of this bitching possible is also a possible solution if we cooperate in sharing information. So I mention Project Gutenberg a lot since it is a source of FREE material, including some stuff I had to read in school. They just went over 54,000 books. If only 5% are worthwhile that is a goodly number.

But as you can see when I point out some stuff, like that link to Youtube, people tell me it isn't relevant to the thread.

Like it is OK to b**** but not OK to propose solutions.

The smartphone in my pocket right now is more powerful than any computer you could find when I was in grade school. So why should we be so concerned about school? The problem is what to do with the technology.

But our professional educators don't seem to be able to figure that out:

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/los-angeles-edtech/

Of course the tech companies can't be trusted either.

psik
Project G is mostly books that are no longer copyrighted, and therefore not very current.

Not saying it's bad, but it's hardly on the cutting edge.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Project G is mostly books that are no longer copyrighted, and therefore not very current.

Not saying it's bad, but it's hardly on the cutting edge.
Calculus Made Easy, (1914) by Silvanus Thompson
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283...0b4850d28738ad

Einstein's Miracle Year was 1905. What percentage of high school students need more math than that? Personally I think a lot of copyrighting of textbooks is nothing but making money off students that are forced to buy them and really has nothing to do with EDUCATION.

I figure that is why a lot of people do not talk about Project Gutenberg. Education and the Education BUSINESS are two different things.

But yeah, the books on surgery from 1880 are pretty useless. LOL That is why I said 5%

I do find the shortage of math and science books from the 50s and 60s rather peculiar.

psik

Last edited by psikeyhackr; 02-14-2017 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 PM

417 posts, read 345,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Holy cow, and I thought the USA was heavily promoting STEM subjects.
I thought the same thing. I think science is the most important thing a kid can learn.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:26 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I thought the same thing. I think science is the most important thing a kid can learn.
Depends on the kid.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 PM

417 posts, read 345,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold miner View Post
@OP, report back when they get rid of math. 😁😂
Wouldn't suprise me at that school. They already don't teach kids long divison which I think is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education