U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 AM

18,848 posts, read 23,200,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It's said that 14% U.S adults can't read. STATS | Illiteracy Statistics and Demographics

But personally I don't even know even a single person who cannot read. If you speak English, it should be really easy to learn how to read.

Have you ever met someone who can't read? to what extent? I'm just curious.

I am in a rural area and I know of one man who cannot read. He is an old time farmer and started working on the farm at a young age. I imagine there are quite a few local old timers here that cannot read but I would never ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 08:45 AM

12,944 posts, read 8,043,059 times
Quote:
It's said that 14% U.S adults can't read. STATS | Illiteracy Statistics and Demographics

But personally I don't even know even a single person who cannot read. If you speak English, it should be really easy to learn how to read.

There are far more than you think, you might be surprised who some of them are. Many of them go to a great deal of trouble or do without things in order to hide it. Even more common are those that read at an elementary level, there is a reason most newspapers have traditionally been written at about a 5th grade level.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 02-27-2017, 08:48 AM

3,629 posts, read 1,104,967 times
Quote:
In the TV show It's always sunny in Philadelphia, Charlie didn't know the meaning of words like "filibuster" and "philanthropist". It's a hilarious show, and I started thinking, how many U.S adults are as illiterate as Charlie?

I do understand some people suffer from learning problems, health problems, and many others are recent immigrants from Mexico. But what about perfectly healthy people who were born in the U.S? Most people simply acquired writing and reading skills in elementary school without a lot of efforts.
There's a big difference between "ignorant" and "stupid". Ignorant means you were never in a position to learn. Stupid means you had the opportunity to learn but failed to learn.

Stupid is loose instead of lose. Stupid is I seen instead of I saw. There are many, many examples of stupid, and they are spread freely on forums.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:55 AM

665 posts, read 187,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There are far more than you think, you might be surprised who some of them are. Many of them go to a great deal of trouble or do without things in order to hide it. Even more common are those that read at an elementary level, there is a reason most newspapers have traditionally been written at about a 5th grade level.
5th grade level isn't that bad.

I'm just curious about truly illiterate people who can't read anything beyond road signs. How do they text their friends?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 AM

6,183 posts, read 1,440,273 times
No, I have never met anyone who couldn't read.

I recently moved to Indiana and the state administers the I-Read3 test to all 3rd graders. It measures their reading and comprehensive abilities. If they are not at a 3rd grade level and fail the test they must attend summer school and then re-take the test. If they fail a second time they are typically retained unless there is a specific reason why they keep failing (special education, etc). We did not have this in Illinois where we moved from and at first I thought it was extreme, however now that I have learned more about it I think it's a good program to stop illiteracy in America.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 AM

3,078 posts, read 2,035,906 times
I worked in a pharmacy/gift shop for a number of years. We had a few patrons who couldn't read, some did not know how to sign their name, and would put an X where signature was required. Most seemed to be elderly.

First time I came across this was a very nicely dressed older black woman who wanted my help picking out a birthday card. But she would pick the ones she liked and have me read them to her, as she couldn't read.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:51 AM

62,392 posts, read 51,789,688 times
Quote:

No, it's not easy to learn how to read English for some native speakers, because the spelling doesn't conform with the pronunciation. This, and ineffective teaching in some gradeschools, is why some kids go through school without learning how to read. My brother, and later--his son, were illiterate until taken out of the public schools in 6th grade, and placed in a private school for a year, where they finally learned to read. The reason you don't know people who can't read is that a lot of them end up in jail, because they struggle to function in society.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:07 AM

29,748 posts, read 37,046,343 times
Yes. I worked in a bank and an old black man who worked for one of our clients, always came in with a coworker of his to help him cash his paychecks.
On the same subject, when I was doing family genealogy, I found that several family members in my grandfathers generation, and earlier, only went to second grade. They were farm children. They were not illiterate, however. I know my grandfather could read and write, so I think it was just typical that they studied at home.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:18 AM

2,504 posts, read 2,137,749 times
My great aunts couldn't read. They both passed away in the last five years. They lived in a rural area where there was no transportation. There was no bus and their mother did not drive. Their father could read and write, but it wasn't to the standards of what we had today. He died when they were five and seven. Their mother could not read and write. My grandfather had gone to four years of school. He could read the newspaper and watched the evening news and knew what was happening in the world. He accidentally let his driver's license expire. He choose to use the test for people who could not read. This was back in the late 80's. I asked one of my great aunts to look at something and she told me she didn't have her glasses.

There were a few kids who didn't read very well when I was in school. I think maybe their parents couldn't read either. I was one of those kids who knew how to read before I started school. I had an advantage. I used to read to my kids when they were little. I purposely did not teach them to read because I didn't want them bored in school. My oldest was reading three months into kindergarten.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 AM

18,848 posts, read 23,200,316 times
Quote:
I'm just curious about truly illiterate people who can't read anything beyond road signs. How do they text their friends?

I don't imagine they do text even if they actually have a phone that is capable of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education