U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,543 times

Advertisements

My mom asked my dad's brother to take his empty soda cans to the back porch and put them in the recycling bin marked cans. He came back and asked which one that was since there were three trash cans out there. Mom actually had to explain to a man in his fifties he could open each can until he found the right one.

Back in the fifties poor kids didn't get much attention and nobody cared if they learned to read. A lot of people that grow up on farms or are super poor are just left behind. Even now, Many kids get good at pretending so they pass, but are to afraid to ask for help when they have learning disabilities or bad home lives. Programs at colleges that tutor adults so they can catch up are very important, and we really should find a way to put kids in their grade level not age level in school. Graduating kids to the next grade because of their age regardless of if they learned the grade is so detrimental to the adults they become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 04:23 AM

10,542 posts, read 11,269,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It's said that 14% U.S adults can't read. STATS | Illiteracy Statistics and Demographics

But personally I don't even know even a single person who cannot read. If you speak English, it should be really easy to learn how to read.

Have you ever met someone who can't read? to what extent? I'm just curious.
I've met two who could neither read nor write. I don't know what work they did but they certainly did not look nor act like bums.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:35 AM

18,848 posts, read 23,200,316 times
My library took over our local volunteer program in my county for Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. It is a program that sends and age appropriate book to all children every month until they are 5.

It is a great program to spread the love of books and reading. Of course the parents need to read to them or at least show them the books. I was surprised to hear that some of the local parents are embarrassed and cannot read the books to their children. At our library meetings we are working on how to help with that.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:35 AM

2,988 posts, read 2,317,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It's said that 14% U.S adults can't read. STATS | Illiteracy Statistics and Demographics

But personally I don't even know even a single person who cannot read. If you speak English, it should be really easy to learn how to read.

Have you ever met someone who can't read? to what extent? I'm just curious.
Yes, many. A lot of them did not speak English all that well.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:39 AM

9,130 posts, read 4,325,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I have a neighbor who can't read, can't drive (obviously), and is really dumb as a stump. She has great difficulty following logic. Too bad, really. S nice lady.
You really think you can't drive if you can't read? Think of all the cabbies (and otherwise) who can't read - English, at least.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:08 AM

11,632 posts, read 7,840,088 times
I worked with a couple of them when I was waiting tables. Cooks. They kept making small mistakes on my tickets until I figured it out and started calling out my tickets when I hung them. Then they got everything right. White guys in their forties.

My son met some young black kids ( early twenties ) that were put through the schools, but were functionally illiterate. He said he almost cried when he figured it out. No future.

It must be incredibly stressful to live with a secret like that.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I

It must be incredibly stressful to live with a secret like that.

It is very sad how we fail our citizens.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:15 AM

4,113 posts, read 5,629,618 times
There's a fair amount of evidence out there that our current President struggles with literacy. He can read, but he seems to do so at a low-functioning level. He is said to read at an elementary school level. He has been asked to read documents in court proceedings and been unable to do so, or if he can eventually muddle through he has low comprehension of what he just read if it is at a higher reading level than middle school or so. He says he has read only one book in the past quarter century. He did not write his own book and his ghost author claims he is unable to do so. His trouble with reading is why he has changed some of the ways he receives information - focusing on TV news, for example - compared to previous presidents. He can read from a teleprompter to a point, but gets stuck at time and then improvises and goes "off-message". If you listen to the way he talks and read his tweets, they also come out at a low reading lexile. His anti-intellectual anti-science streak seems to be associated with his own difficulty reading. Since he can't read and understand something, he doesn't trust those who can.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Since he can't read and understand something, he doesn't trust those who can.

Don't worry about it. It's not like the highly educated and literate politicians over the decades have done such a great job.

Anyway...that is way off topic.

And we don't just have a problem with people not being able to read and write. Many people cannot do basic math. We are making a society that is relying on machines and not brains.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:36 AM

665 posts, read 187,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Yes, many. A lot of them did not speak English all that well.
America has the best mathematicians but most people don't seem to understand basic Calculus and linear algebra.

Similarly, America has more well educated scholars than any other country. But the illiteracy rate is higher than Eastern European countries, weird enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education