Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:54 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times

Advertisements

It's said that 14% U.S adults can't read. STATS | Illiteracy Statistics and Demographics

But personally I don't even know even a single person who cannot read. If you speak English, it should be really easy to learn how to read.

Have you ever met someone who can't read? to what extent? I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:57 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Yes, I volunteer at our church's food pantry and we have quite a few patrons that can't read or write.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
I have met 3 people in my life who could not read. One could read at perhaps a kindergarten level but certainly couldn't make any sense out of job applications and other adult-level writing. That person and the second were unemployed and homeless.

The third worked in a bank and had gotten very good at pretending he could read, but couldn't.

I think the OP's assumption that it's easy to learn to read if you can speak the language doesn't really hold water. Many who can't might have dyslexia or another learning issue.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
During college, I joined and then was asked to run a volunteer GED program for working adults.

I missed it in med school, so I volunteered for Literacy for Life. This was meeting once a week to 1 on 1 teach another adult to read.

So, yeah...

Old 02-27-2017, 08:10 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
How would you know if you've met an illiterate person?

That's a serious question. How do you know, unless the context is one where you're asking the person to read something and then respond. I've been a church soup kitchen volunteer and I can think of other places I may have met an illiterate person but the thought of any of the clients being illiterate never crossed my mind before.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
When I worked as a supervisor in a tobacco factory in Richmond, VA, I had several employees who couldn't read or write. They had worked there for a long time and knew their jobs well, but signed their checks with an "X". Ironically, since they were union employees, they made more money than I did.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
I meet people every day who seem to have great trouble comprehending the sense of the written word it seems, and who can't seem to write down a sentence that is not filled with grammar, punctuation, spelling, and logical errors. They are truly functionally illiterate although apparently many have graduated from our high schools and colleges.

Other than that, I have met a few people who have spent no time practicing reading anything, apparently even cereal boxes, and therefore can read only at a grade 1 or 2 level even well into adulthood. They were passed through the system by a system that gave up on them so they gave up on themselves. They are very close to truly illiterate though they can usually print their own names.

Years ago, I worked in a bank and there were people who, it seemed, could only sign their names with an X. I presume they were illiterate but maybe they were only drunk.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
When I worked as a supervisor in a tobacco factory in Richmond, VA, I had several employees who couldn't read or write. They had worked there for a long time and knew their jobs well, but signed their checks with an "X". Ironically, since they were union employees, they made more money than I did.
Are they native English speakers? Do they have any medical conditions or learning disabilities?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:35 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
I have a neighbor who can't read, can't drive (obviously), and is really dumb as a stump. She has great difficulty following logic. Too bad, really. She's a nice lady.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I meet people every day who seem to have great trouble comprehending the sense of the written word it seems, and who can't seem to write down a sentence that is not filled with grammar, punctuation, spelling, and logical errors. They are truly functionally illiterate although apparently many have graduated from our high schools and colleges.

Other than that, I have met a few people who have spent no time practicing reading anything, apparently even cereal boxes, and therefore can read only at a grade 1 or 2 level even well into adulthood. They were passed through the system by a system that gave up on them so they gave up on themselves. They are very close to truly illiterate though they can usually print their own names.

Years ago, I worked in a bank and there were people who, it seemed, could only sign their names with an X. I presume they were illiterate but maybe they were only drunk.
In the TV show It's always sunny in Philadelphia, Charlie didn't know the meaning of words like "filibuster" and "philanthropist". It's a hilarious show, and I started thinking, how many U.S adults are as illiterate as Charlie?

I do understand some people suffer from learning problems, health problems, and many others are recent immigrants from Mexico. But what about perfectly healthy people who were born in the U.S? Most people simply acquired writing and reading skills in elementary school without a lot of efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education