Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 01:30 AM

25 posts, read 40,966 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me figure out what the heck happened to my son's scores? My son was nominated and took the Cogat in first grade. His composite was 95. This year all second graders took the test. We just found out his composite is 67. How could his percentile ranking fall so much in one year? Is this variation normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 06:45 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
Maybe it was a bad day when he took it in 2nd grade? Perhaps he didn't take it seriously. That's my guess at a 67. It could also be that he guessed well the first time. Who knows? It could be a combination of reasons. 95 is below avg IME for 2nd graders, but that was as a first grader for him.

I'm surprised they had him take it two years in a row.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:23 AM

25 posts, read 40,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Maybe it was a bad day when he took it in 2nd grade? Perhaps he didn't take it seriously. That's my guess at a 67. It could also be that he guessed well the first time. Who knows? It could be a combination of reasons. 95 is below avg IME for 2nd graders, but that was as a first grader for him.

I'm surprised they had him take it two years in a row.
95th percentile is below average? My numbers are the percentile rankings, so from 95th percentile to 67th percentile. Sorry, if I was not clear about that. The SAS scores were something like 126 (1st grade) to 107 (2nd grade), which from what I could tell was going from high on the "above average" category to middle of the "average" category.

As a general note, I find it odd that a test that's used as a gatekeeper for GT programs, if those 1st grade scores were a fluke, almost had him guess his way into the program since he barely missed the cut off then.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:04 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,023 times
IQ scores are not stable in young children. That's the simple answer to your question. IQ scores are the most terrible way to pick out gifted kids, except for all the other ways.

We recently got our child tested, although I'm not sure what test they used, because we thought it would benefit them to be in the program if they make it. But I will take whatever results we get with a pile of salt, because there is no guarantee that the test will show the same thing in a few years.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:38 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
A lot of children seem gifted or advanced when they are young. However, as they age and the material becomes more complex they are actually average. There is nothing wrong with being average.

FYI-altough IQ is not stable at that age the Cogat is NOT and IQ test.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMama View Post
95th percentile is below average? My numbers are the percentile rankings, so from 95th percentile to 67th percentile. Sorry, if I was not clear about that. The SAS scores were something like 126 (1st grade) to 107 (2nd grade), which from what I could tell was going from high on the "above average" category to middle of the "average" category.

As a general note, I find it odd that a test that's used as a gatekeeper for GT programs, if those 1st grade scores were a fluke, almost had him guess his way into the program since he barely missed the cut off then.
No. 95th percentile is not below average. You wrote that your child got a composite score of 95 which I did not interpret as the percentile rank.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
A lot of children seem gifted or advanced when they are young. However, as they age and the material becomes more complex they are actually average. There is nothing wrong with being average.

FYI-altough IQ is not stable at that age the Cogat is NOT and IQ test.
All of our second graders take the CogAT. That and the Naglieri are used to form a pool of students considered for "Advanced Academics". The benchmark score varies slightly each year, but for the CogAT it is usually around 130 or the low 130s.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:36 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Also, a lot of children seem average when they are young but as the material becomes more complex you can begin to pick out the smart ones.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:43 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,033 times
Young kids are not always the best test-takers.

When my oldest took the CogAt in the third grade, I was surprised that she scored relatively low in a math sub-section, as we all considered math her strongest area. Upon closer review, I could see that she had only attempted about two-thirds of the questions. She left the rest blank. When I questioned her as to why, she proudly informed me that she had come across a difficult question, but kept working at it until she finally got it, by which time, she had run out of time. So, she never even attempted about a third of the questions. Oops.

I've proctored at the local elementary school when kids in 3rd through 5th grades were taking end of grade standardized testing. The amount of mismatched answers (filling in the wrong bubble due to accidentally skipping a question) was remarkably high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education