Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Being that I was a good typist years ago, I definitely agree writing in longhand (particularly cursive) is much easier and faster than typing.

Here is an article about the benefits of cursive behind just writing:
The Benefits of Cursive Go Beyond Writing - NYTimes.com
OTOH, the NYTIMES has another article:

Handwriting Matters; Cursive Doesn't - NYTimes.com

As for what's faster:
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...and_Legibility

Quote:
The relationship between handwriting style and handwriting speed and legibility was investigated. Three samples of writing (narrative, expository, and copying) were collected from 600 students in Grades 4-9. The copying task provided a measure of handwriting speed, and all 3 writing samples were scored for handwriting style (manuscript, cursive, mixed-mostly manuscript, and mixed-mostly cursive) and legibility. The handwriting of students who used a mixed style was faster than the handwriting of the students who used either manuscript or cursive exclusively. In addition, papers written with mixed-mostly cursive letters generally received higher ratings for legibility than papers written with the other 3 styles did. There were no differences between manuscript and cursive in terms of legibility or speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 03:19 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
The fastest, clearest handwriters join only some letters: making the easiest joins, skipping others, using print-like forms of letters whose cursive and printed forms disagree.

That's funny. That's exactly what I do.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:25 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times
If cursive is so much easier and faster to read than printing, why are cursive fonts not used on web sites, printed materials, etc? Cursive fonts should be *very* easy to read!

Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times
By the way - for those of you that complain about the people who have terrible handwriting...has it ever occurred to you that perhaps some/all of those people have fine motor challenges which make legible handwriting almost impossible?

I have a tremor. Essential Tremor. For years - until I got it treated - I struggled to write legibly. Even though people scolded me for my terrible writing - I couldn't do it. Physically impossible. I was embarrassed and stressed when people called attention to my writing. They didn't understand that it wasn't laziness that kept me from writing clearly.

There are other challenges that people can have that impacts handwriting ability. Even simple anxiety disorders can play havoc with the ability to write neatly...and please don't tell people to "just relax" and they can write better. It doesn't work that way.

Please - quit complaining about people's handwriting. Be grateful that you have these people/family/friends in your life. If those people opt to use electronic devices for communication, be grateful that they are able to communicate. I have an elderly relative who was unable to write at all during the later years of her life. Electronics, had they been available during those years, would have allowed her to communicate more easily.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:41 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Why this obsession with "cursive"? We learned it in third grade. After that, it was up to us weather or not we wanted to write or print.

In high school, papers had to be typed. That's how old I am.

I always thought handwriting was taken seriously only by parochial schools.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:18 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
So what have we learned in this thread?

That one group of people think that those of us who believe people should learn to write (not talking about printing) are Neanderthals, and that we ought to get up with the world of computing technology. Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion.

We've also learned that another group of us think that those who cannon write are under-educated and incomplete communicators. We're entitled to our opinion, as well.

In my school we wanted the most effective communicators we could find as teachers, counselors, and administrators. So there was an interview, a review of resume-related materials, and a two part "writing sample". Half of the writing sample was in written form, and half done on a computer. Anyone who couldn't do both was only hired as a last resort.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In my school we wanted the most effective communicators we could find as teachers, counselors, and administrators. So there was an interview, a review of resume-related materials, and a two part "writing sample". Half of the writing sample was in written form, and half done on a computer. Anyone who couldn't do both was only hired as a last resort.
It's a bit silly and self-serving to arbitrarily create some requirement AND it does nothing to justify or prove the necessity of this skill.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So what have we learned in this thread?

That one group of people think that those of us who believe people should learn to write (not talking about printing) are Neanderthals, and that we ought to get up with the world of computing technology. Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion.

We've also learned that another group of us think that those who cannon write are under-educated and incomplete communicators. We're entitled to our opinion, as well.

Those of us who spend a lot of time in the P&C sub-forum have to remember that the world is not the cage-match arena that forum would project it to be. I don't think anyone actually called you a Neanderthal or anything close to it - they/we just stated our opinions that cursive is a relic of the past - not that you are.

As I expressed, I don't think it is important at all and I don't see why some want to make it seem so important.

You seem to think it is important for reasons I don't agree with, but this is no reason to go to war as they do in P&C over every little thing. A little difference in opinion should never hurt anyone.

Too bad the appropriate emoticon is not here, I would offer you "Beer-Summit" but you do understand the invitation would be typed.

I myself may have reacted a little snarkily based on another poster going beyond snark. But that was not meant to be directed at you. A difference in opinion should not be so upsetting.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-13-2017 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 06:01 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's a bit silly and self-serving to arbitrarily create some requirement AND it does nothing to justify or prove the necessity of this skill.
Almost all standards set in an interview are arbitrary because you set the standards based on the qualities you want your staff to have.

The standards one sets vary from school to school or job to job. Nothing came down from Mount Sinai. A committee of professionals in our school sat down and discussed what standards they wanted from our applicants. A written sample was one standard they valued, just as was a computer sample.

The vast majority of our parents communicated to our teachers via email or written note.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Handwrite is really the generic term. You can handwrite using cursive or handwrite using printing. Some people handwrite using a combo - with just a few letters but not all joined.
Exactly.

So if people can handwrite (and I do a combination as your suggested) why do we seems to be insisting upon cursive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education