Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 PM

554 posts, read 678,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It would be interesting to see how this research compares with the common practice of competitive private schools inserting a year between Kinder and 1st for younger and less emotionally mature students. Around here, all of the most competitive (and some of the less competitive) private K-12 schools have what's called a "Primer" year for just these kids. Now, the education at these schools is typically of an incredibly high standard and they aren't "technically" holding a kid back, but rather inserting an extra year for maturational purposes, but I'd still be interested in whether it had any of the same correlations or effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 03:39 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,565,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
One sentence: no child left behind

I guess they were really serious when they put that out there. After all it isn't fair if everyone in the same class can't move on together. On a more serious note, I think when an education system decreases in quality, things like this tend to happen. I think its become sort of a numbers game to pass as many students as possible, qualified or not, onto the next grade. Having students is costly as it is. More so when you have them repeating grades and/or in summer school. Just part of the plan to keep cutting education costs I suppose.
It has nothing to do with cost. It has to do with what, if any, benefit the child receives from being retained.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:54 PM

50,467 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
One sentence: no child left behind

I guess they were really serious when they put that out there. After all it isn't fair if everyone in the same class can't move on together. On a more serious note, I think when an education system decreases in quality, things like this tend to happen. I think its become sort of a numbers game to pass as many students as possible, qualified or not, onto the next grade. Having students is costly as it is. More so when you have them repeating grades and/or in summer school. Just part of the plan to keep cutting education costs I suppose.
1. NCLB isn't that no one can fail a year in school. NCLB is about giving each child the resources needed to progress reasonably normally through school.

2. You need to go back to the original post, because that's not even what this thread is about. This thread is about "voluntarily holding back" a child who passed.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. NCLB isn't that no one can fail a year in school. NCLB is about giving each child the resources needed to progress reasonably normally through school.

2. You need to go back to the original post, because that's not even what this thread is about. This thread is about "voluntarily holding back" a child who passed.
The latter only really happens in structured teaching and that is more so up to the parents. The educators whether teachers, physical therapists, speech pathologists, etc. can only suggest things, it is more up to the parents to hold them. I work in a high school so I know this happens with students. There were a few that were supposed to graduate in a month but delayed based on what their parents decided.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:33 PM

50,467 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The latter only really happens in structured teaching and that is more so up to the parents. The educators whether teachers, physical therapists, speech pathologists, etc. can only suggest things, it is more up to the parents to hold them. I work in a high school so I know this happens with students. There were a few that were supposed to graduate in a month but delayed based on what their parents decided.

And that is what is being questioned here.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And that is what is being questioned here.
But that only typically happens for seniors, not freshmen to juniors in a limited sample size.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:47 AM

45,114 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Was that a SPED program?

I ask because in my career of more than 30 years, all but 1 1/2 years in high school, I never heard of a parent ask that their kid not graduate or not be promoted.

In fact, I don't think we could have done that if the kid had enough credits, and the "right" credits, to graduate or promote.

I did have a kid a few years ago who didn't graduate because he only passed English 12 (his only required class) and failed everything else. He technically had more than the minimum number of overall credits to graduate but didn't earn 4 his Senior year, which was a system requirement.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:07 AM

491 posts, read 471,340 times
No Child Left Behind was about states conducting standardized testing to make sure children were meeting certain standards. I don't know if that was a joke you were trying to make.

Your daughter didn't do bad enough to flunk her grade. It's not a good thing to be held back. Most people that are held back are people who for some reason couldn't show up to school (they were on vacation, etc.) or some other circumstance. Being flunked does not look good on the record. It's not a big deal because this is middle school, but when high school comes around, colleges are going to see everything on the high school transcript, your daughter needs to shape up if she wants to be able to increase her chances of going to a good college.

When a student is an IEP, then that means they're in special education, in which case they're not gonna flunk either, because special education kids aren't tested the same way other kids are. If you put your daughter in an IEP, it means they won't test her at all and grades don't count.

You say that your daughter is smart enough to do the work and understand, then in that case it's your daughter's responsibility to shape up and do the right thing. Stop enabling her. Stop coddling her. She has to do the work and succeed or else. She forgets? Okay, then teach her ways to not forget. What happens when she's an adult and forgets her car keys? Then, what? What if she does it everyday? What if she forgets to follow the law? There are so many problems that come from this. You can't live life without following rules. Is she mentally capable of acting as a responsible adult or not? That's a judgment call you have to make, because if she cannot act like a normal, functioning adult, then you're gonna have to care for her the rest of your life or she'll be in one of those asylums or government homes for those who are being treated with mental health. If your daughter is a normal person, then you need to confront her and make her do the right thing and follow directions and pay attention and stop goofing off. Just help her become a fully-functioning adult. If she is special and can't do the work, then you should have compassion towards her and just accept her as she is. You'll just have to accept that she won't ever be normal, in which case who cares if she's held back or not.

You haven't really given a good picture of what your daughter is like. Is she a fully-functioning adult or not? Is she mentally challenged? If she's normal and just acting lazy, then it's her responsibility to wake up and do the work. If she is mentally-challenged and can't act normal, then you need to stop worrying about her grades ('cause that's the least of your concerns) and just learn to accept her and provide love and compassion.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Was that a SPED program?

I ask because in my career of more than 30 years, all but 1 1/2 years in high school, I never heard of a parent ask that their kid not graduate or not be promoted.

In fact, I don't think we could have done that if the kid had enough credits, and the "right" credits, to graduate or promote.

I did have a kid a few years ago who didn't graduate because he only passed English 12 (his only required class) and failed everything else. He technically had more than the minimum number of overall credits to graduate but didn't earn 4 his Senior year, which was a system requirement.
That is indeed unique to special education.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:25 PM

524 posts, read 572,301 times
I was held back in second grade. In every way it helped, but that probably had to do with the situation. I am dyslexic and a late summer birthday. The extra year gave them some time to almost exclusively focus on my reading, while math was just review. I came out of that year ahead in math and at grade level in reading. I then continued into advanced classes, magnet high school, and eventually college. I don't think the outcome would have been as favorable, if they had just pushed me along, because I was lost the first time through second grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education