Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:42 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
...If you put your daughter in an IEP, it means they won't test her at all and grades don't count.

What? Most of our SPED students with IEPs took the state exams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 03:18 PM

491 posts, read 473,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What? Most of our SPED students with IEPs took the state exams.
Well, I guess it might be on a spectrum and might depend on if the individuals can take it. However, I'm pretty sure certain students can be exempt from exams, and the special education could be a reason for it.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:24 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Well, I guess it might be on a spectrum and might depend on if the individuals can take it. However, I'm pretty sure certain students can be exempt from exams, and the special education could be a reason for it.

NCLB and now ESSA/R3T require all students including SPED take the tests except those in Intensive Self-Contained, although IEP holders may take modified ones if that's specified in the IEP.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
NCLB and now ESSA/R3T require all students including SPED take the tests except those in Intensive Self-Contained, although IEP holders may take modified ones if that's specified in the IEP.
Yes. We had quite a few SPED students who had modifications, but not many who didn't take the tests at all.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
When a student is an IEP, then that means they're in special education, in which case they're not gonna flunk either, because special education kids aren't tested the same way other kids are. If you put your daughter in an IEP, it means they won't test her at all and grades don't count.
This is soooo incorrect.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
This is soooo incorrect.
Even within the educational community (teachers and counselors and administrators), I doubt if any particular aspect of education is less understood than special education. One year I had our sped chair develop 3 faculty meeting presentations for the staff (over 6 weeks) -- self-contained students, mainstreamed students, and the difference between (and requirements for) IEPs and 504s. And among the general public...wow, so many misconceptions.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:28 PM

491 posts, read 473,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
This is soooo incorrect.
Maybe I should've said some and not all. I guess IEP can also include people that are of varying degrees of scholastic proficiency.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Maybe I should've said some and not all. I guess IEP can also include people that are of varying degrees of scholastic proficiency.
You guess?

What is your background which provides you with this knowledge of sped, IEPs, and 504s?

Old 04-07-2017, 09:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
I work in self-contained classes. The students as silly as it may sound have to take part in the state mandated civics test and major subject tests that any Arizona high school student takes. Most that I worked with this year, don't even have the slightest idea who was our first president or was a governor of Arizona. The tests are highly adaptive and geared towards the severity of the self-contained students so that is good. Much better than one-size fits all like the AZ Civics test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education