Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Or maaaybe people need to stop assuming the craft-making cookie-baking types aren't super smart. And what about us craft-making, cookie-baking scientists? You're not actually talking about different ends of a spectrum, but the fact that you think you are is indicative of how society judges "women's work".
My middle daughter is home from college this week. Her major is Applied Mathematics. During the snow storm the other day she baked up a couple of trays of cookies. Not making this up. She enjoys baking and crocheting as a hobby. She jokes both are math related. Her older sister majored in business and economics and loves to cook international cuisine.

My wife and I encouraged our girls and our son to pursue their interests and we support their efforts.

I will say that besides the encouragement our daughters received at home they both had teachers that were strong role models. They both had the same women for a couple of years of HS math including their AP calculus classes. There are actually several girls we know that have gone through their classes that are now pursuing STEM fields in college.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:27 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you're a guy use your brawn and smarts to compete, if you're a girl use your looks then your smarts. It's universally true everywhere. Debate all your want that's how societies work and nothing's gonna change that. When your daughters see the Kardashians or the likes leverage their fake beauty and accumulate tons of money, it's easier to emulate that then try to win the Nobel Peace Prize and that doesn't even pay as much.
I only ever used my looks to outsmart stupid men lol. And truly its much easier to play men who think like you do with brains than with looks.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Smart women know that their brains are more important than their looks. No getting around that. Looks fade, smart doesn't unless of course you contract dementia/alzheimers.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
Double down on Affirmative Action in every sector, private and public. Quotas if need be.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:53 PM

804 posts, read 544,636 times
If mommy sounded like NPR do you really think daddy would have made his move on the checkerboard of life?

That sums up this entire post.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
If mommy sounded like NPR do you really think daddy would have made his move on the checkerboard of life?

That sums up this entire post.
Men don't like intelligent women? Figures! /s

Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Men don't like intelligent women? Figures! /s
I'm a man (a real one, not this "self identifying" bullsh*t) and I've only had relationships with smart women.

One night/one week stands.....didn't care.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
The media is sending the wrong message to females today. They keep propping them up that females all should be everything that a male can be but don't provide the means or necessary requirements to obtain the roles or achievements. Then it has girls in a very conflicting situation today where they were told to pursue anything but some get turned away and some get in but can't figure out where to go from here.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
My middle daughter is home from college this week. Her major is Applied Mathematics. During the snow storm the other day she baked up a couple of trays of cookies. Not making this up. She enjoys baking and crocheting as a hobby. She jokes both are math related. Her older sister majored in business and economics and loves to cook international cuisine.

My wife and I encouraged our girls and our son to pursue their interests and we support their efforts.

I will say that besides the encouragement our daughters received at home they both had teachers that were strong role models. They both had the same women for a couple of years of HS math including their AP calculus classes. There are actually several girls we know that have gone through their classes that are now pursuing STEM fields in college.

My son is also a Math major. When I was perusing the Dean's List at the end of the last semester, I noticed that about half of the Math majors on the list were girls. So much for the stereotype of girls not liking the "hard sciences".

Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My son is also a Math major. When I was perusing the Dean's List at the end of the last semester, I noticed that about half of the Math majors on the list were girls. So much for the stereotype of girls not liking the "hard sciences".
All the programs, clubs and scholarships are for girls only. The pendulum has swung waaaaay in in the other direction. Boys are getting the short shrift unfortunately.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The media is sending the wrong message to females today. They keep propping them up that females all should be everything that a male can be but don't provide the means or necessary requirements to obtain the roles or achievements. Then it has girls in a very conflicting situation today where they were told to pursue anything but some get turned away and some get in but can't figure out where to go from here.
Please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
All the programs, clubs and scholarships are for girls only. The pendulum has swung waaaaay in in the other direction. Boys are getting the short shrift unfortunately.
Please document. Boys got all the top consideration for a few millennia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education