Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:03 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Isn't this already required in all schools nation-wide? When I was in school, they called it "Civics", and it was a state requirement, along with a course in US history.
Yes, but it sounds like not in all high schools nationwide. Ours requires it!

Old 04-07-2017, 05:04 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Logic.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:24 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
I'd like to see a required course in the genre of stress management/mental health awareness/coping strategies. We tend to say "oh, that's the parent's job", but there are far too many kids whose parents are unable to provide in this area. Not to mention, many clueless parents who think their kids are fine, but they are really struggling. Plus, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure . The rates of bullying, aggression in schools, teen suicide, cutting, and other various issues are on the rise and I wish schools did a better job at addressing them. I know it's aspirational and unlikely to happen, but the content of such a course (if designed well) could really add to a kid's knowledge base in a profound and meaningful way.
This is generally covered in health in most states. The efficacy of the class is questionable though.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Religious studies such as the different types of religions would never be taught at a public school; however, the study of cultural differences is. A class on different religions is taught as a college class if one wants to take it.
Repost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Comparative religion is usually taught in social studies.
I got it, in jr. high back in the 60s. My kids got it in HS in the late 90s/2000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Yes, but it sounds like not in all high schools nationwide. Ours requires it!
I have never heard of a district that doesn't require some type of "Civics/government".

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Civics!!!

"Civics is the study of the theoretical and practical aspects of citizenship, its rights and duties; the duties of citizens to each other as members of a political body and to the government."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civics
My goodness, go take a look at your district's graduation requirements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I'm fairly sure this is a thing in most places.
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
why we need to teach geography

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_pw8duzGUg
Oh, jeez, Jay Leno "Jaywalking"? You can sometimes see the edits. How many people do they have to ask before they find one that dumb? Colorado requires geography.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I think the presence and legacy of slavery is taught extensively. Over and over again. Some of those other topics probably aren't touched on enough though.
Not in Texas where some of the textbooks tell the kids that slaves were *immigrants.*

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/o...tory.html?_r=0

Quote:
In 2010, the Texas Board of Education approved a social studies curriculum that promotes capitalism and Republican political philosophies. The curriculum guidelines prompted many concerns, including that new textbooks would downplay slavery as the cause of the Civil War.
Fortunately, our ISD does not use these textbooks, but many places in Texas do.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:13 PM

21 posts, read 47,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
I'd like to see a required course in the genre of stress management/mental health awareness/coping strategies. We tend to say "oh, that's the parent's job", but there are far too many kids whose parents are unable to provide in this area. Not to mention, many clueless parents who think their kids are fine, but they are really struggling. Plus, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure . The rates of bullying, aggression in schools, teen suicide, cutting, and other various issues are on the rise and I wish schools did a better job at addressing them. I know it's aspirational and unlikely to happen, but the content of such a course (if designed well) could really add to a kid's knowledge base in a profound and meaningful way.
YES. Couldn't agree with this more. Very important and well said.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
They already teach "keyboarding" in third grade and most kids in middle school and certainly by high school take python or learn Scratch either during the school day or as part of an afterschool program. This is really big here, especially in low income areas.

I would add to the curriculum in personal finance, some information about how insurance works. The various types of insurance and the various options. Insurance can get really complicated, but knowing the basics might prevent someone from buying some type of policy that they will never need or not buying a policy and then losing everything because they were not insured or underinsured. They should learn about the terms deductible, premiums, what does whole life mean, what does term life mean, co-payment, car insurance, policy, liability, collision, renter's insurance, homeowner's insurance. Even when they go off to college, they will be charged some sort of student insurance fee(s).

Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
How about learning such basic things as how to spell? While we're at it, they could also teach young people how to communicate with others in ways that don't involve typing.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:54 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
How about learning such basic things as how to spell? While we're at it, they could also teach young people how to communicate with others in ways that don't involve typing.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:56 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Or how to offer a proper rebuttal if one disagrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education