U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 02:18 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,995,238 times

Advertisements

I personally, do not think this will stand ! But I know some HS'ing families are worried. I know that my child is over-socialized, and I think that's how it is for most home schoolers, atleast the ones I know. The tradtional classroom socialization, these days, is not what I'd call productive or a sufficient way of socializing.
Like many other instances of poor judgment towards home schoolers as a result of brick and mortar bias, HSLDA does not expect this latest one to be a problem for homeschooling in California. Home schooling options have not changed here in CA, that's why independent home schoolers register to become their own private school. Again, we should not worry or panic, the ramifications state wide are huge if they start shutting down every private school without credentialed teachers on their payroll.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/mar/08030503.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 PM

2,838 posts, read 8,846,159 times
I wouldn't worry... I think that it is basically a judge telling THAT family that they can't homeschool for whatever reason, not that it will be illegal for everyone else. The law hasn't changed, and this is what it says:

Quote:
Homeschooling families in California comply with the compulsory attendance law in one of five ways:

They establish a private school in their home (48222 exemption).
They enroll their children in a private school that offers an independent study course (48222 exemption).
They hold, or employ a private tutor holding, a California teaching credential for the grades and subjects being taught (48224 exemption).
They enroll their children in a public school that offers independent study (public school).
They enroll their children in a public charter school that offers independent study, distance learning, or a homeschool program (public school).
In another article I read on this, which of course I can't find right now, it said that the family was using a charter or private school that was not approved, or not doing what it was supposed to. I don't remember how I got to that article, darn.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM

1,075 posts, read 794,768 times
[quote=tkdmom;3054012]I personally, do not think this will stand !

Unfortunately it has stood through the state appeals court! And the family is being FORCED to send their cildren to public schools. I think that if we, the homeschooling community, doesn't stand up in arms and insist on this being changed, CA will ed up being one of the worst states to homeschool your children in.

I am so glad that we moved out of CA before this happened. We moved to Las Vegas last year, and right after we moved here, NV put into the books an actual homeschooling law. It's fantastic! It clearly defines homeschooling as a legal choice that parents have, without the parents needing to fulfill any educational objectives or requirements. Plus, it states that any homeschooled child can participate in any sports, extra-curriculuar activity and any other class that they want to (provided there is room, and they can show that they have gone through what ever prerequisites are necessary for that class). A family only has to fill out a form ONCE in a lifetime, or if you change residence. Personally I think NV is the best state in the country to homeschool in, because of this new law.

If we were still in CA, I'd be planning on moving and marching on the capital to get this decision changed asap!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:01 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,121,285 times
Perhaps I am mistaken though, but wasn't this ruling just enforcing the law that was on the books? Regardless, I do think there needs to be a way to account for these kids so that homeschooling isn't just used as an excuse to hide child abuse. At the same time the public school system isn't exactly stellar in their ability to identify obvious child abuse, either. Also if done properly, I do believe for some kids homeschooling can be a much better option then what is offered to them in the public school district.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Perhaps I am mistaken though, but wasn't this ruling just enforcing the law that was on the books? Regardless, I do think there needs to be a way to account for these kids so that homeschooling isn't just used as an excuse to hide child abuse. At the same time the public school system isn't exactly stellar in their ability to identify obvious child abuse, either. Also if done properly, I do believe for some kids homeschooling can be a much better option then what is offered to them in the public school district.
CA education laws don't specifically have homeschooling on the books either way, which is why some school districts, judges, and cps agents can get away with taking kids away from their parents for homeschooling. It's too open for interpretation. However, what is on the books is that a family can register as a private school, with the parents as the teachers and administrators, and the only students are their children. Under the private school umbrella, teachers do not have to be certified to teach their own children.

About child abuse being hidden by homeschooling.... that just is not the case. Yes, there have been cases splashed all over the news about a homeschooling parent being arrested for child abuse or killing their children. Generally the news has completely misinterpreted or misrepresented homeschooling in these instances. Like the mom who killed her 4 children in TX (i think it was TX, Andrea Martin?), yes she was a homeschooler. She however was not abusing her children, she killed them during a scicotic episode which had been previously treated by doctors. Her husband and parents, being fundementally religious, kept her from continuing treatment for her mental disorder, and her husband kept her pregnant and contiually in post partum depression. So although homeschoolig was a part of their lives, putting that as a forefront in the story would be akin to saying "A Black hairded women killed her children today". I'm sure no one would say that having black hair hid child abuse signs.

The stories of children being neglected and abused by parents who homeschool are generally people who never even heard of homeschooling, let alone were following any principles of homeschooling. Child abuse happens in every type of family, and is hidden from the rest of the world. It is not exclusive to any specific walk of lfe, religion, race, creed, lifestyle, or sexual prefrence. I've seen more public figures, who's family is constantly in the publics eye, hide the child abuse much better than anyone could ever think of doing in homeschooling.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:43 PM

The problem I see with this ruling, is that the appellate court agreed with the trial court decision to take away the right of the parents to choose who and what they exposed their kids to.

Also, I personally do not want anyone talking to my son about sex ed or alternative lifestyles, that's my job.

Furthermore, unless you're a total moron,why would you need a credential to teach your own kid.

I wonder what would happen if the 200,000+ home schoolers in CA showed up on Monday at various schools in their districts to enroll their kids. Are the classrooms not over crowded as it is ! I'm sure they would be turned away.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:28 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,699,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
It clearly defines homeschooling as a legal choice that parents have, without the parents needing to fulfill any educational objectives or requirements.
Very sad. There is nothing wrong with homeschooling, but the children should have to fulfill the same requirements as if they were going to school.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Very sad. There is nothing wrong with homeschooling, but the children should have to fulfill the same requirements as if they were going to school.
I know that this is something that most people think is necessary, but for homeschoolers it's irrelavant. The standardized tests are to show how the school and the teachers are doing, on a large scale. Not so much for the individual child's benefit. The small amount of benefit that these tests give to parents concerning their child are to show them gaps in their education, and possible learning problems.

With homeschooling, a parent sees the gaps immediately, can diagnose the problem, and find a solution on a daily basis. There's nothing that's getting past us. And we know our child bette than anyone else, so we know how they learn, and if they are progressing. No state agency can come into the homeschool household, give a child a test, and know what's going on and how much is being learned by each child.

So, even if they did give them tests, it would show the government very little, unless the family was using a charter school that followed the same curriculum that the public schools use. And thouhg there are plenty of homeschoolers that do this, there are much more that do not.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:06 PM

268 posts, read 895,564 times
Furthermore, unless you're a total moron,why would you need a credential to teach your own kid.

Let me start by saying that I am not against homeschooling. I have seen great success with homeschooling. But I wanted to respond to this. There is a lady who lives down the road from me. She is "homeschooling" her son. She never graduated high school. She is the epitome of a Mississippi redneck. I can say that---it is where I live. She speaks poorly and lives in squalor. She isn't equipped to effectively educate her child and she is dooming him to the same existence. I just point this out to say that there needs to be some kind of guideline for making sure that children who are being homeschooled are being schooled adequately. I just feel so sad for that boy. He is a sweet child and I am sure he could do so much more than what he is being provided.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 PM

That is very sad, but it is definitely not the norm ! Most HS'ing families are decent people that care deeply about their childs education and well being. But if you know for a fact he's being neglected you should have reported it to authorities, especially if the boy is living in squalor conditions.

These are the requirments to home school in Mississippi.

A Legal Analysis

Compulsory School Age
"age of 6 on or before September 1... and has not attained the age of 17 on or before September 1"

Mississippi Legal Home Schooling Options: 1

Option: 1

Legal Option:
Establish and operate a home school

Attendance:
Whatever "number of days that each [home] school shall require for promotion from grade to grade"

Subjects:
None

Qualifications:
None

Notice:
File a "certificate of enrollment" by September 15 of each school year to the district's attendance officer

Recordkeeping:
None

Testing:
None
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education