Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'll just respectfully agree to disagree if you want to essentially state that my opinion doesnt matter in a thread that asks for ideas, then you go on with your opinion which you somehow think holds more weight, simply because its yours. Either neither of our opinions matter and we should both shut up, or both of our opinions hold weight and are worth discussing, but as I said, I'm done "discussing" with you because that seems to be a one way street with you.
Oh, I apologize, I didn't realize you had done graduate work in education, specifically in the effects of differentiate of program in student achievement.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
According to Forbes, up to 66% of American adults failed a test on BASIC financial literacy, I'd say leaving it to parents, books, or online classes is already a complete failure, no? If people had basic financial literacy skills, I bet we would have seen a big difference in the housing crisis as well as a big difference in how many people are nowhere near ready or on track for retirement.

When I was in school, the science classes were offered in about a 6:1 ratio compared to business or finance classes. Science is overkill in public schools compared to other areas. Not saying science isn't important, but only up to a certain extent, and not at the cost of other critical areas. I'd rather see more well rounded kids as opposed to kids being overly exposed to just a small handful of areas.

If you think financial literacy can be taught online or through some books, why not sciences too?
I agree with you about the need for such a course. Financial matters is not something some of us will use. We will all use it. I was thinking that in my middle school, it could have been one of the one quarter electives (except in this case it wouldn't really have been elective). In another school system I worked in, it could have been a quarter long and paired with a second quarter of health and sex ed. There are many configurations that could work. I doubt that it needs to be a year-long course.

I disagree with you about science, however. A good basic education in earth science, biology, chemistry, and physics is necessary for the general public to have in order to be a knowledgeable voter. These topics affect life on this planet. I could see doing a semester in chemistry and physics, rather than a full years of each (one school I was in had a "consumer chemistry" course that was sort of "chemistry light").

Old 04-13-2017, 01:44 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Oh, I apologize, I didn't realize you had done graduate work in education, specifically in the effects of differentiate of program in student achievement.
Much like I didn't realize I wasn't invited to share my thoughts and observations in a thread that specifically called for them simply because some school gave you a rubber stamp. I'm fairly well educated and experienced in the world of finance and I can promise you that adults and children in this country are being set up for failure due to a severely neglected need for some additional education in this area.

Closed minded folks like yourself that "know better" and are not open to other points of view and opinions are likely part of the problem, so carry on with the "this is how we do it and we can't change" model because god knows that trying to continually improve and explore new thoughts is a total waste of everyone's time. Our educational system has plenty of room for improvement, its amazing how people want to limit discussion on how to do it.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:45 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I would agree that intelligence and work ethic occur along a spectrum. That being said, there are already programs for those kids (like mine). But everyone benefits from options. Pretending otherwise is supported by nothing beyond your opinion.
Oh certainly the bright kids should be pushed towards college and the others towards trades.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:46 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I think when educators say "teaching to the test," they mean teaching to standardized tests, not the end of unit tests individual teachers give.
Yea - but the standardized tests are what you are supposed to be teaching anyway, so think of it as a FINAL.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:48 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree with you about the need for such a course. Financial matters is not something some of us will use. We will all use it. I was thinking that in my middle school, it could have been one of the one quarter electives (except in this case it wouldn't really have been elective). In another school system I worked in, it could have been a quarter long and paired with a second quarter of health and sex ed. There are many configurations that could work. I doubt that it needs to be a year-long course.

I disagree with you about science, however. A good basic education in earth science, biology, chemistry, and physics is necessary for the general public to have in order to be a knowledgeable voter. These topics affect life on this planet. I could see doing a semester in chemistry and physics, rather than a full years of each (one school I was in had a "consumer chemistry" course that was sort of "chemistry light").
I don't disagree with your ideas/suggestions, but I will say that finance has as much impact if not more on being a knowledgeable voter in this country as science does. We may have some elections where the environment or specific transportation, infrastructure (this is financial also) or medical / health is a key topic leveraging scinece, but you can almost guarantee that every election cycle will drag in campaign promises heavily focused on the economy, jobs, social security, health care (both science and finance here), the budget, and trade.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:55 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yea - but the standardized tests are what you are supposed to be teaching anyway, so think of it as a FINAL.
That is an important point to remember...BUT

Back in 9th grade, my earth science teacher, Mr. Eckburg, spent one full month having us take old Regents exams to get ready for our Regents exam. Then he would review the most missed questions, which did teach us material, but not in a very cohesive manner. That kind of teaching to the test is inappropriate. But a good teacher aligns the tests to the curriculum and vice-versa.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:12 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times
Get families that value and emphasize education to breed more and those that don't to breed less. Ultimately that's what you're fighting against.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Much like I didn't realize I wasn't invited to share my thoughts and observations in a thread that specifically called for them simply because some school gave you a rubber stamp. I'm fairly well educated and experienced in the world of finance and I can promise you that adults and children in this country are being set up for failure due to a severely neglected need for some additional education in this area.

Closed minded folks like yourself that "know better" and are not open to other points of view and opinions are likely part of the problem, so carry on with the "this is how we do it and we can't change" model because god knows that trying to continually improve and explore new thoughts is a total waste of everyone's time. Our educational system has plenty of room for improvement, its amazing how people want to limit discussion on how to do it.
I can play the same game with science, as having been ar researcher for many years before teaching, I am in a position to understand exactly why STEM, is being pushed. I also realize that there is an inherent cognitive bias, to over emphasize the importance of ones own field. In fact, it is a testament to my lack of close mindedness on the subject that rather than pushing my own field, I am instead advocating for a student centered approach based on research rather than my own interest in my own field. In fact, if you weren't so wrapped up in your own bias you would realize that the model I proposed was not in any way related to "this is how we do it and we can't change".

Old 04-13-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with your ideas/suggestions, but I will say that finance has as much impact if not more on being a knowledgeable voter in this country as science does. We may have some elections where the environment or specific transportation, infrastructure (this is financial also) or medical / health is a key topic leveraging scinece, but you can almost guarantee that every election cycle will drag in campaign promises heavily focused on the economy, jobs, social security, health care (both science and finance here), the budget, and trade.
What you are proposing now, is far beyond the scope of a personal financial literacy course. Economics is a complicated field and so far beyond what can be covered in a financial lit class you might as well say a health class allows people to understand medical school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education