Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 01:18 AM

153 posts, read 114,911 times

Advertisements

https://www.propublica.org/article/d...ion-department

Quote:
The new acting head of the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights once complained that she experienced discrimination because she is white.

As an undergraduate studying calculus at Stanford University in the mid-1990s, Candice Jackson “gravitated” toward a section of the class that provided students with extra help on challenging problems, she wrote in a student publication. Then she learned that the section was reserved for minority students.

“I am especially disappointed that the University encourages these and other discriminatory programs,” she wrote in the Stanford Review. “We need to allow each person to define his or her own achievements instead of assuming competence or incompetence based on race.”

Although her limited background in civil rights law makes it difficult to infer her positions on specific issues, Jackson’s writings during and after college suggest she’s likely to steer one of the Education Department’s most important — and controversial — branches in a different direction than her predecessors. A longtime anti-Clinton activist and an outspoken conservative-turned-libertarian, she has denounced feminism and race-based preferences. She’s also written favorably about, and helped edit a book by, an economist who decried both compulsory education and the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964.
There's a lot more messed up stuff in the link and I suggest reading it all.

Honestly and truly ********** woman, screw Devos, the whole damn administration. I say this with so much hatred but I honestly and truly hope nothing but ruin for these people as long as they draw breath, financial, mental, physical ruin. If you about to throw an MLK quote or talk about reaching out, don't cause I'm not here for the bull.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:13 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
I say this with so much hatred but I honestly and truly hope nothing but ruin for these people as long as they draw breath, financial, mental, physical ruin.

Sounds like you have hypertension. They have medicine for that.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:24 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
She sounds like another typical Trump appointee's appointee: someone who will dismantle equal opportunity reforms that have been made and put conservative Christianity first

Old 04-15-2017, 07:59 AM

173 posts, read 170,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
https://www.propublica.org/article/d...ion-department

There's a lot more messed up stuff in the link and I suggest reading it all.

Honestly and truly ********** woman, screw Devos, the whole damn administration. I say this with so much hatred but I honestly and truly hope nothing but ruin for these people as long as they draw breath, financial, mental, physical ruin. If you about to throw an MLK quote or talk about reaching out, don't cause I'm not here for the bull.
I don't see anything wrong with her views or this article. They're just her own views and everyone is entitled to an opinion.
(And, no, I'm not conservative.)

Old 04-15-2017, 08:12 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaPallasAthena View Post
I don't see anything wrong with her views or this article. They're just her own views and everyone is entitled to an opinion.
(And, no, I'm not conservative.)
She is charged with running the civil rights division of the dep of ed. Her personal views don't over ride the law of the land despite her publicly aired wishes.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:22 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
From the article:

Quote:
In 2005, Jackson wrote a book on the allegations of sexual misconduct against Bill Clinton, titled “Their Lives: The Women Targeted by the Clinton Machine.” She gained national attention last October after she arranged for several of Bill Clinton’s accusers to attend a presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Jackson sat with the women in the front of the audience. A few days before the debate, Jackson established Their Lives Foundation. In registration documents, she described two of its purposes as “giving public voice to victims of women who abuse positions of power” and “advocating for and against candidates for political office.”

Less than a week after the debate, Jackson posted on Facebook that her foundation “supports all victims of power abusers,” but labeled Trump’s accusers “fake victims.” Since the initial announcement of her Education Department role, her Facebook page has been taken offline.
What a double standard -Trump's victims are *fake?* Of course, she took down the comments once she had her coveted job from the administration. We are being totally screwed by the appointees of this administration with each of them willing to take down the department they are supposed to be leading.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:51 PM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Well, since she has denounced feminism, perhaps she should spend her time baking cupcakes for the PTA bake sale.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:12 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, since she has denounced feminism, perhaps she should spend her time baking cupcakes for the PTA bake sale.
No, that's not offensive at all.

Just to be clear, this is what makes her "anti-feminist":
Quote:
In another article Jackson penned for the Review during her senior year, entitled “How I Survived Stanford Without Entering the Women’s Center,” she condemned feminism on campus.

“In today’s society, women have the same opportunities as men to advance their careers, raise families, and pursue their personal goals,” she wrote. “College women who insist on banding together by gender to fight for their rights are moving backwards, not forwards.”

In the article, she encouraged women to choose conservatism over feminism. “I think many women are instinctively conservative, but are guided into the folds of feminism before discovering the conservative community,” she wrote.

She concluded, “[t]he real women’s issues are conservative ones.”
This was written in the mid-90's and is not saying in any way, form, or manner that she wants to be baking anything, let alone cupcakes for the PTA. I also agree that there comes a point if you want to claim equality you have to quit claiming victim status that needs special rules and protection. As long as you are claiming you have to be treated differently to be successful, you can not claim to be equal. I too denounce the concept of feminism as it is often politically practiced, simply because I denounce any philosophy that needs to demean and/or castigate another group as part of its basic tenets.

I have no idea whether she was a good choice or not, I remain a serious non-fan of DeVose, but THIS cutesy little quip is insulting to any woman who does not want the definition of what it means to be a strong woman with a successful life dictated to them.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:44 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
What kind of discrimination did Devos face? Discrimination against rich people?

She is a very overly privileged woman. How dare her claim to have faced discrimination. She should shove it up her arse.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:45 PM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, that's not offensive at all.

To denounce feminism is offensive. It is saying that women should know their place. And in my view, a woman's place is any damn place she wants to be.

I've worked with as many female as male administrators, and while their were "ringers" among both groups, overall I found pretty equal rates of success or downright excellence on both sides. Same with teachers.

I have known and worked with men who denounce feminism, and that's where they think women belong -- in the kitchen, in the home, raising their kids. And that's hooey. If that's where an individual woman wants to be, that's fine. But women should not let the "denouncers" put them there or hold them back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education