Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:19 PM

8,409 posts, read 6,788,797 times

Advertisements

My grand daughter, 6 years old and in kindergarten, has regular homework. She goes to a charter school and is concurrently learning to read and write in both English and Mandarin Chinese. Back in my day I don't think we had any homework until high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,688,329 times
My 3rd grader has homework everyday in Math and spelling. She also has to read 20 minutes each night (which she always did anyway). Both of my children have had homework Monday through Thursday since Kindergarten. Our middle school is 5th-8th and my 5th grader NEVER has homework; however, she has homeroom after lunch and can do work there.

I personal think if kids are in school for 7 hours a day they do not need homework. Kids need to be kids and need to have time to play as well.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 PM

50,351 posts, read 23,934,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post

I personal think if kids are in school for 7 hours a day they do not need homework. Kids need to be kids and need to have time to play as well.
Okay, but the worst people who over-program kids are generally not teachers with homework (although it does happen), but many parents who cannot just let a kid be a kid. They program in dancing lessons, music lessons, scouts, church groups, summer camp, and can't even fit an evening of pure relaxation in a whole month. It can be pathetic.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,354,105 times
I typically did not assign homework in my special ed classrooms, except in the case of students who had specific IEP goals for homework completion.

I'd occasionally get parents who complained that their kid didn't get any homework. You can't win.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,004,603 times
I think young kids should only get homework IF they didn't finish their work at school. If they are fooling around and goofing off rather than doing their work, they should take their work home and finish it before the next school day. Obviously, I'm not talking about if the child is actually unable to do his/her work...then the teacher should help.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 AM

4,491 posts, read 4,558,455 times
Once I'm done with my day at work, I'm done. Work stays at work. I don't take it home with me. Work leaves my mind the very second I pull out of the parking lot and onto the street and I don't think about it until I return to work my next scheduled work day. I'm one of those who does the job as efficiently and done quickly as possible. My motto is "Work smart not hard". I almost always get the best numbers. I'm also one of those who doesn't do much more work than required. Also, I refuse to work overtime or holidays unless I'm paid time and a half.

Based on that...

I don't think a student should be required to do homework. For one reason is the time it takes from the family. Homework can be a burden for the entire family. A student who chooses not to do homework shouldn't have points deducted or a grade lowered because of that choice. Some kids just want to do the required minimum and are satisfied with getting C's.

If some of the kids want to do homework, it would be OK as long as it's considered extra credit and it adds points to their grade. Otherwise, that would be like not paying an employee time and a half after they've already worked their scheduled 40 hours. So why would anybody expect a student to do homework and not get extra credit for it? There has to be an incentive.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:35 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,037,995 times
All of my children have homework. They are in public schools: kindergarten, 4th, and 6th grade. The two who are in elementary don't have much - often my 4th grader will finish it at school, so I guess it isn't truly "home" work. The kindy kid has a monthly homework calendar, with assigned work for Monday-Thursday. It is very simple, probably takes about 5-10 minutes tops. They are both supposed to read, or be read to, at least 20 minutes a day, although we never consider that an arduous task, as reading is part of their regular bedtime routine, in school or not.

My middle school kid has a fair amount of homework and projects. Thankfully she is both bright and self-disciplined so I don't really get involved with it.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,435,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There were parents complaining about kids having to carry books home and that it took too much time to do homework.
And homework cut into activities like team sports.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:06 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,037,995 times
Oh - and none of them have textbooks, at least nothing that they are allowed to take home. I have not seen one single textbook from any of my kids, ever. Oldest is in 6th grade, public schools in North Carolina. They get worksheets, but not an actual book, like I had when I was a kid.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:26 PM

12,660 posts, read 8,883,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
Oh - and none of them have textbooks, at least nothing that they are allowed to take home. I have not seen one single textbook from any of my kids, ever. Oldest is in 6th grade, public schools in North Carolina. They get worksheets, but not an actual book, like I had when I was a kid.
Our district had this bright idea of doing away with textbooks by going to Chromebooks. So now the kids bring home textbooks and Chromebooks. That's more stuff to carry, not less. And of course guess who's responsible if the Chromebook gets broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education