Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:37 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,519,851 times

Advertisements

My friends and I were "nerds" and at the end of sixth grade, I remember my friend saying "Oh, I can't wait to have homework!" He was referring to the coming year, 7th grade. This implies that we never had homework before then. This was in the 70s.

I also have a younger relative and I talked with him after the first day of 7th grade and he said he had tons of homework, which he never said before.

Is it true that K-6 kids don't have homework? Maybe it's different today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 02:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Homework and policies on it vary by grade level, by school, by teacher, by district, by class, by any number of things. Some programs don't incorporate homework at all...when I taught special ed, there was rarely homework, in the traditional sense, with some of my students...it didn't necessarily fit their individualized curriculum or needs.

The purpose of homework varies as well. Sometimes it is independent extra practice of a skill that is benefitted by repetition or rote memorization. Sometimes it is an auxiliary project that is designed to be completed independently for a specific reason. Sometimes it is simply in-class work that wasn't finished in a timely manner and must be completed on one's own time.

There is no one-size fits all answer to "do kids today have homework," but most students in traditional programs do at some point in elementary ed have assignments of some sort to complete at home. Whether or not it matches your experience is another story.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
There were parents complaining about kids having to carry books home and that it took too much time to do homework.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
If your school is a good one and does it right, you don't need homework in lower grades.
I came from an international school to one of the top districts in California in the fifth grade. We never had homework at the international school.

And yet I was far beyond the kids in my 5th grade class in my (also wealthy) good school in California (where they did have homework).

Old 04-21-2017, 02:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If your school is a good one and does it right, you don't need homework in lower grades.
I came from an international school to one of the top districts in California in the fifth grade. We never had homework at the international school.

And yet I was far beyond the kids in my 5th grade class in my (also wealthy) good school in California (where they did have homework).
Do you suppose there were additional variables at play regarding your being ahead, or is your thought that the sole correlation is related to homework policy?

Or, is your assertion just that good schools don't need to assign homework?

Old 04-21-2017, 06:57 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,687 times
It started in 5th grade for me. (Born 1981) That sounds reasonable to me. I won't quibble with people who say 4th or 6th is the best starting point. But too far outside those boundaries sounds unreasonable and/or disastrous.

This is from a school near where I grew up (not mine though). I disagree pretty strongly with this...

https://fwsu-blog.org/2015/10/22/no-...middle-school/

Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,102 times
I had a little bit of homework in elementary school in the '70s. When I taught elementary school, it was school policy that we give homework. We typically gave work to practice what was learned or to complete work not finished in school. My kids have always had homework in elementary school, but it has varied as to how much.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:27 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Had it when I was in school and so did my kids. Not that I believe in it for younger kids. To me it turns into either a situation where the kid understands and so it's just tedium of stuff they know or the kid doesn't understand and it's repetitive frustration or doing it wrong. If you don't know something, doing it wrong a dozen times doesn't make you know it better.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:40 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There were parents complaining about kids having to carry books home and that it took too much time to do homework.
Snowflakes in waiting.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:53 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Snowflakes in waiting.
Nice, easy sounding answers, but totally incorrect. We're talking book bags that weigh as much as the kid does at that age. And homework that completely consumes all the family time until bed. If you don't understand the problem, you haven't experienced it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education