Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,503 times

Advertisements

My grandaughter was one of the kids that was injured. They made her run the steps in boots. She had her gym shoes in her bag, but was not given the option to change. This is just one of thier punishments, others are cleaning bathrooms and washing down tables in the cafeteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
I am all for it. We used to have tio do it. They'd say "give me 10" and you would do push ups. And they'd make you "run the bleachers" in gym class if you did something stupid- like not dressing out for gym.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:39 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darhe3425 View Post
Yes, seperate the kids at PE and let them run laps instead.
I don't like this because the PE teacher loses time with the kids and they might not necessarily been a problem in his or her class.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,762 times
I had one teacher that made you do push ups at the front of the class if you were late. He got fired. The only other thing ive had to do was run laps, and again push ups for mouthing off in gym class. I hate that physical education is a requirement....but for punishment....okay. Its better than having to write lines.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 AM

151 posts, read 703,055 times
Okay, now most schools have a school-wide discipline system. It is only as effective as the people who implement it. I am an advocate of this. It looks like some kind of point system with students earning activities, gadgets, etc. Many teachers at my school regularly failed to implement because either they had a million other things to do, or they just didn't buy into the whole reward a kid for...what? Behaving? That's what they are supposed to do! I liked it though, because kids had to work for it, and standing on the fence during recess, saw the same kids, writing liines, same kids...how effective is that? I do not see anything wrong with seperating a child who has been "too social" in class, when it is time to be sociable, say at lunch or during P.E. Running laps can create some nice track stars too.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:35 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darhe3425 View Post
Okay, now most schools have a school-wide discipline system. It is only as effective as the people who implement it. I am an advocate of this. It looks like some kind of point system with students earning activities, gadgets, etc. Many teachers at my school regularly failed to implement because either they had a million other things to do, or they just didn't buy into the whole reward a kid for...what? Behaving? That's what they are supposed to do! I liked it though, because kids had to work for it, and standing on the fence during recess, saw the same kids, writing liines, same kids...how effective is that? I do not see anything wrong with seperating a child who has been "too social" in class, when it is time to be sociable, say at lunch or during P.E. Running laps can create some nice track stars too.
I think a schoolwide discipline system is a really good idea. I wish my school had one. I think some forced exercise is okay but not running bleachers. I teach first grade and I have seen kids literally trip over just about anything. I had one kid fall while he was just simply walking on carpet. He was just EXTREMELY CLUMSY. I would hate to see him running bleachers because he would fall and would seriously hurt himself. I think the types of exercise that are okay would be something like picking up trash, cleaning toilets, cleaning the cafeteria, bathrooms. I have my students pick up trash on the playground and I have already received a lot of complements on how nice the playground looks.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,735 times
I would think that having students cleaning toilets and bathrooms would be a very bad idea. Custodians are given hours of training each year to learn about the chemicals used, and also mandated to wear gloves, etc, also known as "universal precautions" in dealing with coming in contact with the obvious contaminations in the bathroom setting.

The idea of putting a child in this setting is a very bad one to me. Thoughts?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
I would think that having students cleaning toilets and bathrooms would be a very bad idea. Custodians are given hours of training each year to learn about the chemicals used, and also mandated to wear gloves, etc, also known as "universal precautions" in dealing with coming in contact with the obvious contaminations in the bathroom setting.

The idea of putting a child in this setting is a very bad one to me. Thoughts?
Ummmm, yeah....where is the kid supposed to use the bathroom? The kids don't know about using public bathrooms? Or germs?? Or cleaning products?? Universal Precautions isn't some advanced training that lasts for HOURS. It's a new employee requirement....a video tape.....a lecture.....a handout......maybe a day's worth at most. I'm not even sure it's a yearly requirement, but I don't know. All I know is most of it is basic information about the transmission of disease and germs......should be common sense.....if the parents or teachers ever taught their children how to use public restrooms. It's about washing your hands and why that's so important, it's about bloodborne pathogens and how to handle or dispose of these items......it's about poison control and what to do in a situation.......These things should have already been taught. I don't think the kids should be using any major chemicals or scrubbing toilets......but sweeping/mopping floors, taking out trash, washing mirrors, filling paper towel dispensers....fair game if appropriately advised and implemented.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Wait till one kid trips and falls down those stairs and gets hurt and there is a lawsuit.
As someone who is an asthmatic, I would not have been able to run stairs.

Now, we used to get punished unfairly in school when I was young, a teacher thought YOU were talking and it was the person behind you. You could not defend yourself. It seems the really bad kids get away with murder, but if you're a good kid they go after you. Maybe the teachers fear the bad kids' parents more....or don't want to deal with them. I can remember when my kids were in grade school if a kid had any kind of diagnosis like ADD, they could do anything they wanted, including hitting and biting, and the school said they couldn't do a thing about it because of the laws protecting those kids.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
There is another simple solution to avoid the problem w/ getting your feet bruised from running: WEAR TENNIS SHOES to school on the days you have PE. I make my kids and have since they started school. Their teachers REINFORCE this all the time till they just know automatically to wear tenns shoes on the days they have PE. Having them in their bag to change into wastes too much valuable school time, imho. Can you imagine how much time would be used up or rather wasted over the course of a year if the class was held up for someone to "change" into appropriate clothing/footwear. INSANE! "have been made to walk in frigid weather while wearing whatever clothes and shoes they came to school in that day" - DRESS YOUR KIDS APPROPRIATELY FOR THE DAYS ACTIVITIES AND WEATHER! It is NOT the schools fault that you sent your child to school in a tshirt and no jacket if it is freezing outside.

"the girl was diagnosed with scarlet fever. In the process of trying to find out where the girl might have caught it"........................."even if the girls were guilty of stopping up a toilet, the punishment crossed the line. "
You mean I can't make my own children clean the toilets at home or teach them how to use a plunger on the toilet when it is stopped up? RIGHT! If I found out my child had been playing around and purposely stopped up a toilet ANYWHERE I'd be LIVID at MY CHILD! What if every kid started doing it and pretty soon all of the toilets are stopped up and unusable. The kids would be forced to "hold it" all day as there would not be a toilet to use. I'm sure the same parents would be screaming mad then too. Teach your kids to RESPECT others and property and not to stop up toilets that CAN cost hundreds to get repaired. Oh, and if you thought they were being exposed to bad things by having to clean up their own mess what in the heck do you think they would be exposed to IF the stuff they used to stop up the toilets clogged the sewer line causing ALL of the sewage to come back up and INTO the school. The entire school could easily be flooded by raw sewage. LOVELY!

Also, you can NOT get scarlet fever from running in boots nor does it come from the types of fluids found in a toilet. From the CDC website:

How do you get scarlet fever?
This illness can be caught from other people if you come in contact with the sick person because this germ is carried in the mouth and nasal fluids. If you touch your mouth, nose or eyes after touching something that has these fluids on them, you may become ill. Also, if you drink from the same glass or eat from the same plate as the sick person, you could also become ill. The best way to keep from getting sick is to wash your hands often and avoid sharing eating utensils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education