Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 07:39 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times

Advertisements

So the other day I went to to the high school where my son's go for a National Honors Soceity Award one them received, this was around 6:30 pm so the kids (girls) certainly had time to go home and change. I'm just setting the scene, anyway, the girls, at least 3/4's of them were way under dressed, not dirty, or too casual but holy cow, the amount of space between their butts and the bottom of these outfits were short, like shave before you leave the home short and I don't mean their legs.

As a father who once went through puberty and knowing a boy going through puberty is like 10 times the hormone change that girls go through during their cycle, it's a wonder most boys don't fail out of high school. Are the boys conditioned through middle school with half naked girls they go to school with?....,or are the outfits allowed in public school getting a little out of hand. I'm far from a conservative and I graduated school back in '91, so I'm not a 100 either.

How are most teachers/parents feelings on this, is it a non issue, am I just old, or do schools with dress codes produce or even have more attentive boys in classes?

Old 05-12-2017, 07:55 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Our local public school have a dress code in terms of how short shorts and skirts can be. They are supposed to be fingertip length, meaning not shorter than a girl's fingertips if she stands with her arms relaxed at her sides.

I really don't care either way. Have a reasonable dress code or don't. The boys should be able to control themselves; it's good for them to learn to keep their eyes and hands to themselves during the early teen years, before they get themselves in deep doodoo later as an adult male who can't control himself and blames it on the wayward women wearing short skirts. If my son ever gave me the excuse that he couldn't manage his obligations because a girl was wearing a short skirt, it would tell me that we had neglected to teach him how to conduct himself appropriately in the presence of others, and that would be something to start working on right away.

I'm also far from a conservative and I graduated high school in 1995, so I'm only a few years younger than you. My kids are teenagers, and I have a girl (who does not wear revealing clothing at all, by her own choice) and a boy (who is currently more into video games than girls). I should say that we also live in hot, steamy Florida, where kids and adults alike wear less clothing than they might in a cooler climate. I don't remember having a dress code in high school (grew up in Connecticut) other than not being allowed to wear flip-flops, but I guess since summer weather there doesn't start until, well, summer, it might be less of an issue than it is here. So that's where I'm coming from.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
So the other day I went to to the high school where my son's go for a National Honors Soceity Award one them received, this was around 6:30 pm so the kids (girls) certainly had time to go home and change. I'm just setting the scene, anyway, the girls, at least 3/4's of them were way under dressed, not dirty, or too casual but holy cow, the amount of space between their butts and the bottom of these outfits were short, like shave before you leave the home short and I don't mean their legs.

As a father who once went through puberty and knowing a boy going through puberty is like 10 times the hormone change that girls go through during their cycle, it's a wonder most boys don't fail out of high school. Are the boys conditioned through middle school with half naked girls they go to school with?....,or are the outfits allowed in public school getting a little out of hand. I'm far from a conservative and I graduated school back in '91, so I'm not a 100 either.

How are most teachers/parents feelings on this, is it a non issue, am I just old, or do schools with dress codes produce or even have more attentive boys in classes?
I'm sorry if I am clueless and don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying, from the parent audience, you could see the girl student's pubic hairs?

Um. And you believe the girl recipients could have gone home and changed out of outfits they wore to school where anyone could easily see their pubic hairs into other clothing before this ceremony?

Old 05-12-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm sorry if I am clueless and don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying, from the parent audience, you could see the girl student's pubic hairs?

Um. And you believe the girl recipients could have gone home and changed out of outfits they wore to school where anyone could easily see their pubic hairs into other clothing before this ceremony?
Figure of speech, do I have to spell it out for christs sakes, the dresses were far too short, why do 100's of girls wear outfits to school and after school activities that barely cover their butts, which also means it barely covers the private area below their stomach. At least I didn't bring up the dozen or so who thought it was appropriate to wear see through tops w/o bras. It wasn't the Grammys.

My question was about dress codes and if anyone notices a difference with or w/o them and boys grades in school. That's all!!

Old 05-12-2017, 09:01 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Quote:
Figure of speech, do I have to spell it out for christs sakes, the dresses were far too short, why do 100's of girls wear outfits to school and after school activities that barely cover their butts, which also means it barely covers the private area below their stomach. At least I didn't bring up the dozen or so who thought it was appropriate to wear see through tops w/o bras. It wasn't the Grammys.

My question was about dress codes and if anyone notices a difference with or w/o them and boys grades in school. That's all!!

You are making the girls responsible for what boys do or not do. Maybe you want girls all to be in burqas--would that help? Maybe put girls in separate classes or not let them go to school at all. Now that I said that, I will say also that I like uniforms for schools. Uniforms for girls and for boys. Uniforms keep everybody neat, all the same, so everybody concentrates on their study. I went to religious school, Catholic, and wore uniforms the whole way through.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Uh huh. Sure.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
You are making the girls responsible for what boys do or not do. Maybe you want girls all to be in burqas--would that help? Maybe put girls in separate classes or not let them go to school at all. Now that I said that, I will say also that I like uniforms for schools. Uniforms for girls and for boys. Uniforms keep everybody neat, all the same, so everybody concentrates on their study. I went to religious school, Catholic, and wore uniforms the whole way through.
Not literally blaming the girls, more figuratively, although I do wonder if boys grades are different or even their behavior. I never said Burqas, that's like me saying you'd send your daughter to school in yoga pants, braless.

I guess from responses that this is an non issue and parents of girls who dress like this find it normal and acceptable. I found it weird that's all. You're right I'm old, personally just because I wouldn't want my daughter basically exposing her self to boys and men all day doesn't mean everyone feels that way, I get it, I'm in the minority. No biggie. Freaking burqas, lol.

Im fine with skirts, I get girls and cleveage, they like to show it fine, how bout covering the normally censured part of the boob, I didn't know that going to a high school assembly was like an R rated movie that's all.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:12 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
James - no matter how you phrase it, there are always going to be people on City Data who will find a way to twist what you say into something you really aren't saying.

I have two boys who are out of school now but there was a dress code at their public high school. The girls' skirts couldn't be shorter than fingertip length as was mentioned. I don't remember anything about too low tops since I had boys, I didn't really pay attention to this. But a large part of this problem of inappropriate dress is the parents' fault. If I had a daughter she would not be going out in super short skirts with her cleavage showing or with so much make-up that it looks like she is going to a Hollywood awards ceremony.

I feel like some schools have just given up on trying to enforce any kind of dress code and too many parents are either clueless, lazy or both.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:55 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:

I am a public high school teacher. I have never seen a single female student wear a see through top with no bra in over 15 years of teaching. Short skirts are occasionally a problem but not to the ridiculous degree you claim for NHS students.

Typical dress code violations include shirts with bare midriffs, leggings instead of actual pants, and the occasional short skirt.

To be brutally honest I suspect there was nothing wrong with these children but rather with a grown man who instead of clawing skirts were too short hoes on to describe pubic hair of teenaged girls and then blames that for male lack of achievement. Something very wrong with you OP.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am a public high school teacher. I have never seen a single female student wear a see through top with no bra in over 15 years of teaching. Short skirts are occasionally a problem but not to the ridiculous degree you claim for NHS students.

Typical dress code violations include shirts with bare midriffs, leggings instead of actual pants, and the occasional short skirt.

To be brutally honest I suspect there was nothing wrong with these children but rather with a grown man who instead of clawing skirts were too short hoes on to describe pubic hair of teenaged girls and then blames that for male lack of achievement. Something very wrong with you OP.
Yea you got me. Try this one, "those aren't buttons on her chest pockets" which was my mother in laws response, and somehow I'm the bad guy, lol. Hey if you're fine with boys in the front of the class room looking up skirts behind them, no big deal, but let me guess, you know for a fact the male teachers don't do it all day as well, none the of them, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education