Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:23 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times

Advertisements

Information technology and community services did nothing to me. I could've might as well sat in front of a brick wall.

The funny (and kinda sad) thing is, the IT course was incredibly fun due to the fact that I made so many generous friends that I will never forgot about. I just came to the course to socialize with my colleagues and have fun. Despite my hatred towards the course, I actually did pass, though.

Community services was a better course, but it was just completely useless as it didn't provide any career opportunities for me. I didn't even make any friends in the class, as we had only 5 people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I don't know that any classes I took provided any career opportunities for me.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A lot of this will depend on when you were in school and where.
Yes, but the poster I was responding to was talking about now. I can understand years ago when computers weren't as common and younger kids didn't have access go a computer. But now that most students have access to one at home, or at least in elementary school, by the time they get to high school they have probably taken years of conputer classes and already know how to type. I'm sure many high schools still have it as an elective, but I'd be surprised if most high schools think they need to teach 14-15 year olds how to use a computer.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:12 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
My high school senior year (back in the 60's) all seniors were required to take "Making a living".
It was split into quarters - 9 weeks of Civic Duty (how our local city and state government worked, how the city budget was designed and spent, how the school budget was designed and spent),
9 weeks of personal finance (how to balance a checkbook, create a budget, rent an apartment and pay bills),
9 weeks of credit management (the difference between how much you make and how much you take home in your paycheck, how to finance and buy a car, how to finance and buy a house)
and then the boys took 9 weeks of "domestic work" (how to iron a shirt, sew on a button and make bacon and eggs and meatloaf),
girls took 9 weeks of "household mechanics" (how to rewire a lamp, how to change the oil on a car and how to change the clapper on a toilet).
I've used all these skills at some point in my life.
Wow, I wish they had had that when I was in school. Heck, I know how to do all those things and I bet I could still learn something from that now.

Since I didn't get to take "making a living," I have to say that living in New York City my most valuable class was Spanish. Loved it, used it, use it still.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:38 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Math at all levels, Physics for understanding how things works, Biology of the reproductive systems, French (which helped me as an adult when I learned Spanish) and a Basic Computer Language class.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:44 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
Typing and office equipment in the 70's~I was able to get paid for typing for others and the skill set of being able to use a manual typewriter transitioned to the electric typewriters and computers. After college and while in grad school I worked for temp agencies because of my typing ability and the ability to use adding machines, copy machines and offset press equipment. Best job skill set.

While in college, as a Home Economics major, I had to take several consumer related classes and personal economics courses which covered loans, leases, mortgages, banking, savings and investing, taxes and tax forms, setting up LLC's, insurance(s) and how they operate. Home Economics coursework included an emphasis on the consumer; purchasing large appliances, selecting housing and furnishings, decorating on a budget, grocery shopping and food preparation on a budget, etc.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:47 AM

345 posts, read 250,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What are the most useful classes you've taken, whether in high school, college, or graduate school? When I mention usefulness, I'm referring to applicability in your everyday life.

Band.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Etymology; Psychology; Logic (six of them); Psychology of juries; Contracts; Shotokan Karate;speech; comp 1-4; debate; and a ton of theater calasses;

Old 05-27-2017, 10:17 AM

212 posts, read 156,376 times
I feel awful saying this since I work in education, but honestly nothing in particular.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:47 AM

745 posts, read 480,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What are the most useful classes you've taken, whether in high school, college, or graduate school? When I mention usefulness, I'm referring to applicability in your everyday life.

For me, high school keyboard/typewriting class is definitely high on the list. The ability to speedily and properly type is a skill that I use every single day. Other courses that I've taken through graduate school taught me some valuable things, but nothing that I rely on daily; my job requires on-your-feet thinking and good, commonsense analytical skills.
Considering I am in IT, I will say the Unix operating system courses and web-technology classes I took (html, css, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education