Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 02:59 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times

Advertisements

My friend is a recently unemployed caregiver (due to the client's death). She can get a 2k schooling grant while on unemployment. The original plan was a 10 month lpn program through CC for 11k after the 2k grant. The other option is the AA in nursing which might be free since NY has the new free college.
We have been researching but don't find much real world information. Obviously, the lpn is limited to certain job locations and no hospitals but the pay seems to average about 50k, which is reasonable for her. The AA does allow you to become a RN if you pass the boards but it seems like the options are limited without the bsn. The AA helps to get you right into the bsn but she's not sure if she can afford to be in school another 2 years.
The question is does the job security but lower pay make lpn better than the AA if the jobs are scarce without the bsn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 03:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Getting an ADN takes more than 2 years---there are about a year's worth of prerequisites. Plus, may need to be on a waiting list.

Other things to consider: projected length of career; does she want to be in a managerial position, or to be more directed; does she want more responsibility, or to have a more senior license (RN) have the buck stop elsewhere; does she want more or less direct patient care?

Old 05-28-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Getting an ADN takes more than 2 years---there are about a year's worth of prerequisites. Plus, may need to be on a waiting list.

Other things to consider: projected length of career; does she want to be in a managerial position, or to be more directed; does she want more responsibility, or to have a more senior license (RN) have the buck stop elsewhere; does she want more or less direct patient care?
The ADN is a 2 year program but she has all the science and math prerequisites and another semester and a half of the electives so she could be done in 3 semesters (technically a year if you include summer). The lpn is 10 months and is M-F, 8-3p so she could have a job during that time.
The considerations you pointed out are the things she's grappling with. Ideally, being a nurse and having more options for growth is desired but not having a stable income for 3-4 years is a recipe for disaster. However, I've pointed out to her that the physical part may be harder in 15-20 years and the options of transitioning into a sitting job as lpn isn't as easy.
The lpn program starts in September. The ADN is next spring.
I personally would do the ADN and bridge to RN but I'm single and have a lot of savings. She's very smart but had kids too young, was married to the wrong person, blah, blah.
Edited to add, I meant she's not sure if she can afford to go further than the AA to get the bsn.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
If she can enter the ADN program immediately, that would be the way, but she would have to work part-time which is doable if she could work Saturdays & Sundays. Yes, it makes for a 7-day week, but that's the sacrifice part.

If she is not a CNA, most states allow that certification after being in nursing school for 90 days, which may give her a salary higher that just a caregiver.

Being an LPN is a lot easier than being an RN in terms of stress, if that is a factor. Working in an office setting is not particularly physical in nature. She could also do visiting nurse, nursing homes, private duty.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
If she can enter the ADN program immediately, that would be the way, but she would have to work part-time which is doable if she could work Saturdays & Sundays. Yes, it makes for a 7-day week, but that's the sacrifice part.

If she is not a CNA, most states allow that certification after being in nursing school for 90 days, which may give her a salary higher that just a caregiver.

Being an LPN is a lot easier than being an RN in terms of stress, if that is a factor. Working in an office setting is not particularly physical in nature. She could also do visiting nurse, nursing homes, private duty.
But would she be employable without the bsn? That's what we are having trouble finding out. Finding an lpn job would be relatively easy. She'd still be an RN but not with a bsn.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

Working in a physician's office is very physically tiring. You're on your feet a lot! Most visiting nurse services want BSN-prepared nurses.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:49 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
But would she be employable without the bsn? That's what we are having trouble finding out. Finding an lpn job would be relatively easy. She'd still be an RN but not with a bsn.
It can be difficult. For many hospitals, a BSN is now required. She could probably do home healthcare/PDN at the RN-level, but that would be open to her with the LPN with a whole lot less schooling and likely without the waitlist for the RN program as well. There are programs available where it is pretty easy to upgrade to BSN if you already have a bachelor's degree, but it would obviously depend on what her prior coursework was.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It can be difficult. For many hospitals, a BSN is now required. She could probably do home healthcare/PDN at the RN-level, but that would be open to her with the LPN with a whole lot less schooling and likely without the waitlist for the RN program as well. There are programs available where it is pretty easy to upgrade to BSN if you already have a bachelor's degree, but it would obviously depend on what her prior coursework was.
She's going for the lpn. If she wants to bridge later, she can. She takes the tabe test Wednesday and then the TEAS. It's only 10 months long for $28-40/hr. I think it's a good idea for the circumstances.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:12 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,048,631 times
I received my ADN when I was 40 and had no problem finding jobs as a staff RN in hospitals. Things may have changed but at the time I retired 7 years ago, very few had their BSN.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:38 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I received my ADN when I was 40 and had no problem finding jobs as a staff RN in hospitals. Things may have changed but at the time I retired 7 years ago, very few had their BSN.
Hospitals in my area won't hire anyone who doesn't have their BSN. One of the hospitals actually shut down their own 2 year nursing program. Currently employed 2 year RNs have been encouraged to bridge, but have not been required to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities