Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Not really the only schools in my state that could utilize corporal punishment are the private ones which aren't subject to the same regulations as the public schools (where it would be illegal) . Just another reason to NOT support vouchers.
ok, just as long as every would make the same choice as you then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
Huh? Public schools in my state are held to higher regulations which is my point. Private schools don't have to conform to the same regulations. If my child attends a public school I know legally there is no chance that they will see or be impacted in any way by corporal punishment. Private schools make their own rules & are not held to the same state laws. With all parents having to pay for their children to attend schools, which are not required to conform to the same legal regulations; I'd propose some interesting things are going to happen with the students who are of a poorer SES & have to go to the "special" schools that their measly vouchers will afford. Talk about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
ok, just as long as every would make the same choice as you then...

Old 03-28-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Huh? Public schools in my state are held to higher regulations which is my point. Private schools don't have to conform to the same regulations. If my child attends a public school I know legally there is no chance that they will see or be impacted in any way by corporal punishment. Private schools make their own rules & are not held to the same state laws. With all parents having to pay for their children to attend schools, which are not required to conform to the same legal regulations; I'd propose some interesting things are going to happen with the students who are of a poorer SES & have to go to the "special" schools that their measly vouchers will afford. Talk about
My point is that people should be allowed to send their children to schools that use corporal punishment just as you would choose not to. You are an favor of forcing everyone to pay for schools that are consistent with your views.

I can tell by your post that you don't know much about corporal punishment in schools or how it is administered. I spent 8 years in schools that used corporal punishment. Your post makes it sound like an Old West hanging in town square that people brought lunches to. The "swats" or "pops" as we called them are not given in public or in anger. Having had one swat once I can tell you that they don't really hurt. It is more of a psychological punishment leading up to it. They are only given out for serious offenses. It is an effective deterrent for most students, however.

And I am also not in favor of "measley" vouchers. I would give parents the full amount that their public schools would get for the student. I realize this is not the voucher thread so I will pose my voucher question to you in that thread.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:41 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
Different districts have vouchers that are worth different amounts.

I am opposed to all forms of corporal punishment & would not want my children to even witness that. Regardless, it is legal for you to send (or not send) your children to any school you desire - so the choice is yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
My point is that people should be allowed to send their children to schools that use corporal punishment just as you would choose not to. You are an favor of forcing everyone to pay for schools that are consistent with your views.

I can tell by your post that you don't know much about corporal punishment in schools or how it is administered. I spent 8 years in schools that used corporal punishment. Your post makes it sound like an Old West hanging in town square that people brought lunches to. The "swats" or "pops" as we called them are not given in public or in anger. Having had one swat once I can tell you that they don't really hurt. It is more of a psychological punishment leading up to it. They are only given out for serious offenses. It is an effective deterrent for most students, however.

And I am also not in favor of "measley" vouchers. I would give parents the full amount that their public schools would get for the student. I realize this is not the voucher thread so I will pose my voucher question to you in that thread.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Different districts have vouchers that are worth different amounts.
That is not an argument against vouchers, per se. It is an argument about how vouchers should be funded.

Quote:
I am opposed to all forms of corporal punishment & would not want my children to even witness that. Regardless, it is legal for you to send (or not send) your children to any school you desire - so the choice is yours.
True. But realistically how many middle-class or poor families can afford to pay out-of-pocket for private schools? Plus, they are already paying for schools out of their taxes. Why should they have to pay twice? Studies that I have seen show that poor students are the ones most likely to benefit from the competition between schools that vouchers would induce.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 AM

240 posts, read 947,595 times
I can't believe this argument even exists in this day in age. I am shocked by this thread. I had no idea.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:03 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,735 times
Most people are shocked to know that in 2008, 21 states still allow for corporal punishment in schools. Everyday I meet people who have no idea. I would have chosen my school district differently based on that one fact. We saw how its very presence impacted the culture of our schools. It does impact those hit, and those not hit. I did not know that it was a question that I needed to ask. I chat about this in the hope that others will open their eyes to the topic, and at least make an informed choice.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM

240 posts, read 947,595 times
Unbelievable! Where can I find out what states we are talking about?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
Most people are shocked to know that in 2008, 21 states still allow for corporal punishment in schools. Everyday I meet people who have no idea. I would have chosen my school district differently based on that one fact. We saw how its very presence impacted the culture of our schools. It does impact those hit, and those not hit. I did not know that it was a question that I needed to ask. I chat about this in the hope that others will open their eyes to the topic, and at least make an informed choice.
I would be interested in hearing you elaborate on the the impact some more. I sure didn't see it when I was in school but that was 20 years ago and I was young.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if you had a voucher option then you could choose a school that was preferable to you on that issue (and probably others too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education