Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 10:04 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Or you could have pulled your kids out of the schools having "winter parties" and put them into religious schools that had "Christmas parties." Why on earth would you be offended over being inclusive of everyone? You do realize that Christmas is not the only holiday celebrated in the winter, yes?
One year when I was teaching in a high school -- and it happened to be a high school that was quite diverse -- at a faculty meeting in October, one of the teachers stood up and DEMANDED that the school return to having religious Christmas events "because we still outnumber those others".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
And the fact that some schools now call a Christmas party a "winter party" and a Halloween party a "fall party" is just ridiculous. This happened when we lived in Illinois (a blue state). We have since moved to Indiana (red state) and we can call the parties by their original names again. Sorry, but if you're that offended just by what they name the party then send your child to a private school that caters to your specific religion. You never heard of things like this when I was younger 30 years ago. Now a days it's just getting out of hand!
What?? So PUBLIC schools should cater to Christianity and anyone who doesn't want that has to send their kid to private school? Nope, you've got that backwards. You want Christianity in school, send your own kid to a Christian school, but keep it out of my public, tax-payer funded school.

As for the original question, newsflash - girls wear pants! Wearing pants doesn't make them not girls. You (or more generically, the child's parent or guardians) have the right to inquire why the dress code is what it is, and see if the reasons make sense to you. But mainly, the option would be to remove your child from this charter school which was voluntarily opted into, and place them in a school which has a dress code more to your liking.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:14 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
So the older generation is against the uniform idea but your son doesn't care one way or the other?
Why don't you let your son make this decision about his child? It's good that you are involved in your grand daughters life but shouldn't he be the final authority in matters such as this where his daughter is concerned?

Did any of you who object to this rule call and ask the school why they instituted this rule- did they notice some behaviors going on in the school, do they want to instill school pride by having the children wear uniforms or is there some other reason? I think that you should try to find out the reason for the rule change before you start a angry protest. And depending on the kind of charter school it is, the child could be asked to leave the school for not complying with the rules. Would you be able to find a suitable school for her at that point?

If you send your child to a secular public school, religion is one of those controversial topics. It might not have mattered years ago when the great majority of children in the school were of one religion and/or race but the world is multicultural now. In order not to either offend people or deal with angry parents, schools play it safe by not having events that are tied to one religion. Parents of jewish, muslim or even atheist children might be upset to have their children singing Christian songs.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yes, and this is the battle I intend to pick because it's not just about the uniform, it's about teaching our girls that they have to wear pants and be like the boys. Where does it stop?
I have no problems with uniforms or pants, but I do think, like you, I would prefer the rule to be: no pants than must wear pants. I know, we live in an era where pants are accepted everywhere on everybody, but wouldn't it be nice if girls did wear dresses a little more frequently. I know, I wear them rarely, not even to church, but when I do put a dress on, it just makes me feel good.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:16 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's not the issue here, though. Grandma just wants the child to wear a skirt because she's a girl.
And the state saying no she must wear pants in the case of Oneness Pentecostal parents is the state taking sides in religion. It doesn't matter what this one particular poster's issue is. The bigger issue of the state not taking sides to suppress someone's expression of religion. Using state force to make a girl to wear pants is no different from forcing girl to remove a scarf and show her hair. And saying go to another sate school where you can wear skirts is near having separate schools because the public believes you belong to a different race or ethnic group.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
I think girls should be allowed to wear whatever they feel like as long as theirs outfits do not distract boys and teachers from school work.
As far as religion goes, I think that school is a place for academics and worshiping isn't part of it, at least in public schools.
Distract the TEACHERS? Now even teachers aren't held accountable for keeping themselves in check? I knew we didn't hold boys accountable.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
The school has chosen a dress code for all students so the choice for the parents is to follow the dress code as established or enroll their children in a different school or home school. I really do not see why this is an issue.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One year when I was teaching in a high school -- and it happened to be a high school that was quite diverse -- at a faculty meeting in October, one of the teachers stood up and DEMANDED that the school return to having religious Christmas events "because we still outnumber those others".
Yikes! A teacher no less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
And the state saying no she must wear pants in the case of Oneness Pentecostal parents is the state taking sides in religion. It doesn't matter what this one particular poster's issue is. The bigger issue of the state not taking sides to suppress someone's expression of religion. Using state force to make a girl to wear pants is no different from forcing girl to remove a scarf and show her hair. And saying go to another sate school where you can wear skirts is near having separate schools because the public believes you belong to a different race or ethnic group.
The state is not running this school. Do you not understand public charter schools? They have a charter, usually from the school district in which they are located, sometimes from the state. They are free to make their own rules on most matters. Here in CO, the only criteria is they follow the non-discrimination laws. Where did you get this Pentecostal stuff? Did I miss something? (Just did a search of the thread. The only one mentioning Pentecostal is you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Distract the TEACHERS? Now even teachers aren't held accountable for keeping themselves in check? I knew we didn't hold boys accountable.
Wow! I missed that part about teachers! If little girls are turning on male teachers, there's something wrong with the teachers! Does the word "pedophile" come to mind? (Not addressing this to you, of course.)

Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
However if the church requires the wearing of a skirt or any difference in dress between genders and the state steps in and says you must wear the clothing the church says you shouldn't that is not separation. That is using the power of the state to actively fight against the minority.
That would be true if this was the child's default public school but since this is a school of choice, and the child has other options that would allow her to wear a skirt than it is not a violation of her rights.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
It's the principle of the matter. I feel the school is trying to turn all these kids into sheep. Why can't a girl just be a girl? This is an elementary school, not a high school. They are also teaching common core math which is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Let's take a simple subtraction problem and add 3 steps to it in order to get the same result we have been getting for years.

By the way they do have separate uniforms for PE, this school is big on physical exercise, which I do like. Things have certainly changed from when I was in school. Girls weren't even allowed to wear pants unless it dropped below 50 degrees (this is Florida) and then you had to wear them under your uniform skirt (Catholic school) and remove them once you got to school.
A girl can be a girl wearing pants. Being a girl is not made by what you wear. I wear jeans 7 days a week and I'm still a girl!

You went to Catholic school which is ENTIRELY different than public school. You had to wear a uniform. You survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education