Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 06:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Check with local community centers. Some will be happy to accept them. Their funding sucks especially in cities. Daycare centers, after school programs, child advocacy centers, programs at churches for children, there are places out there who are in need.
Good suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 06:56 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We do have to provide for those who cannot afford supplies, btw, but we do that through operation backpack from the YMCA.
What's really sad and frustrating is that schools and/or teachers are creating this problem themselves . First, they "request" (read: demand) obscene quantities of expensive supplies to be brought in all at once, only to use them wastefully. Then, they turn around and complain that students can't afford to bring the damn supplies. That's like constantly shoving objects up your rectum, and acting surprised that it hurts when you do it. Well, STOP "requesting" obscene quantities of expensive supplies, and maybe students will be able to afford them . And there won't be a need for Operation Backpack. What a concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I agree. That upper level classes have not been near as much a problem. We went from several hundred a year in elementary to maybe 30 dollars in high school.
That's a very good point . But how are high schools and their teachers keeping their supply lists manageable? And why are elementary schools turning into a pathetic circus when it comes to supplies?

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-04-2018 at 07:13 PM..

Old 01-04-2018, 07:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Good gravy. Get out your smelling salts and take a moment to recover. There are as many school supply lists in the US as te are schools. There may be some general trends, but seeing few lists online then getting all outraged about SCHOOLS THESE DAYS on this issue is just absurd.

If your actual local school has an actual supply list or supply policy you disagree with, I suggest politely speaking or writing to the administration and/or school board and suggesting a reasonable alternative.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Pink ink.
My thoughts exactly when the poster asked why teachers don’t just tell their students to “bring a pen”. Because no teacher wants to try to grade multiple essays written with a glittery pink gel pen.

A lot of students don’t have common sense when it comes to turning in legible work. They’re just going to choose the pen color they think looks “pretty” or “cool”. I’ve had kids turn in homework that was written with yellow gel pens, or a colored pencil that changed colors as they wrote each letter. I could barely read it. I always write on their paper to use a #2 pencil next time.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:40 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
What's really sad and frustrating is that schools and/or teachers are creating this problem themselves . First, they "request" (read: demand) obscene quantities of expensive supplies to be brought in all at once, only to use them wastefully. Then, they turn around and complain that students can't afford to bring the damn supplies. That's like constantly shoving objects up your rectum, and acting surprised that it hurts when you do it. Well, STOP "requesting" obscene quantities of expensive supplies, and maybe students will be able to afford them . And there won't be a need for Operation Backpack. What a concept!

That's a very good point . But how are high schools and their teachers keeping their supply lists manageable? And why are elementary schools turning into a pathetic circus when it comes to supplies?
This is one of the most ridiculous posts I think I've ever read.

Glue sticks and crayons are expensive? Pencils are expensive? Even my child, who is in middle school, didn't take more than $50 in supplies and that included a low level graphing calculator. Supplies for elementary school in my area run MAYBE $25 if you're buying expensive stuff and more than what's requested. Kids still don't bring them in though and many teachers here just end up covering the difference on their own since we have no YMCA.

Go work in a public school and get back to me on how "wasteful" teachers are and how "expensive" supplies are.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Here is a list from an elementary grade level in my area. I don’t think it’s that bad or unusual:

24 (twenty-four) #2 pencils

1 (one) yellow highlighter

1 (one) pencil box/pouch

10 (ten) glue sticks (Scotch brand permanent, if possible)

1 (one) package of 3-ring, wide-ruled, notebook paper

1 (one) 3-ring binder

1 (one) red pocket folder (specials class)

1 (one) composition book (specials class) okay to use last year's, but label with name and current homeroom teacher

1 (one) package of 24 colored pencils

3 (three) composition books

2 (two) low-odor dry erase markers, fine tip

1 (one) pair of scissors

1 (one) box tissues (250 count) if last name A-M

1 (one) box plastic zipper bags (sandwich or gallon size) if last name N-Z

1 (one) pair of earphones or earbuds

Art smock (old, large shirt)

Old 01-05-2018, 05:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
THIS! Last year, our kid brought home a huge bag of perfectly usable pencils, markers, crayons, etc. But next year we have to buy new ones again. It's not just the cost, it's plain wasteful. What are we teaching our kids?
Does the supply list specify that all supplies must be brand new? I don’t see why you wouldn’t just reuse supplies that you already have. Teachers are just happy when kids have the needed supplies. No one is going to be inspecting the supplies for signs of wear and tear. It seems like you are the ones teaching your kids to be wasteful, always needing new stuff, not the schools.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:16 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
As a retired principal, I resisted a supply list policy for as long as I could. But parents kept complaining that if we don't have a supply list before school opens, we won't be able to find supplies. I can't speak for all areas, but where I was that was ridiculous. Supplies were profusely available at grocery stores, drug stores, stores like Wal-Mart, and two office supplychains (like Staples). But parents demanded lists. Well, guess what happened...parents wanted lists, teachers made lists. Sort of like "Build it they will come". And unfortunately, many teachers do go overboard.

On the other hand, we are talking about our children. My school system was just outside of Washington, D.C., and I remember when they finally decided to air condition the schools. One dad came in with a rant about why do kids need air conditioning. I asked if he had AC in his office. "Well of course. But they're just kids." If a parent has to spend a hundred or so on school supplies this year, just remember that it's for your beloved kids. You probably spend far more on dog or cat food.

But teachers -- quit being so picky and particular.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:39 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As a retired principal, I resisted a supply list policy for as long as I could. But parents kept complaining that if we don't have a supply list before school opens, we won't be able to find supplies. I can't speak for all areas, but where I was that was ridiculous. Supplies were profusely available at grocery stores, drug stores, stores like Wal-Mart, and two office supplychains (like Staples). But parents demanded lists. Well, guess what happened...parents wanted lists, teachers made lists. Sort of like "Build it they will come". And unfortunately, many teachers do go overboard.
How about doing what my teachers did? Instead of putting together supply lists, they put together "must have on your person at all times" lists. These lists were very basic: pen, pencil, notebook, etc. And those were literally "must haves"; not having them got your grade docked (only by a few points). Anything more specialized got a couple days of advance notice before it was needed. Nobody demanded 40 glue sticks on the first day; neither were they made communal.

Supply brands didn't matter: Ticonderoga or Rose Art were considered equally valid. If your pencil broke constantly, it was your problem, although quietly getting up to sharpen it was OK, if you raised your hand first. The only strict rule was red pen not being allowed on written assignments. Colors other than blue or black were begrudgingly tolerated, although most kids didn't use them. Pencil for main subjects other than math was strongly discouraged after 5th grade. To this day, writing in pencil makes me feel a bit childish .

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-06-2018 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
How about doing what my teachers did? Instead of putting together supply lists, they put together "must have on your person at all times" lists. These lists were very basic: pen, pencil, notebook, etc. Anything more specialized, like glue sticks, got 5 days of advance notice before it was needed. Nobody demanded 40 glue sticks on the first day.

Supply brands didn't matter: Ticonderoga or Rose Art were considered equally valid. If your pencil broke frequently, it was your problem, but getting up to sharpen it was permitted. The only strict rule was red pen not being allowed on written assignments. Colors other than blue or black were begrudgingly tolerated, although most kids didn't use them. Pencil for main subjects other than math was strongly discouraged after 5th grade. To this day, writing in pencil makes me feel a bit childish .
I do have to ask this. Do you have skin in the game: ie. do you have kids for whom you're buying supplies or is this an intellectual exercise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education