Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:28 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No that's NOT what most of us patents are saying. All we're asking us the list be more reasonable. And rational. Just as an example, why does a student need a 5 inch binder AND a 3 inch binder AND Three 2 inch binders AND 4 spiral notebooks AND a composition book. Those binders are expensive. Why can't they use just one? If they have spiral notebooks, why have a binder at all?

And what happens to all those expensive binders because we never see them again and they don't come home at the end of the year?

I don't mind buying the supplies my kids need for school. I do mind spending a lot on waste and much of these lists are waste.

If they're not coming home at the end of the year that's likely a kid issue and not a school issue. Look back at what I said about calculators and end of the year locker cleanout. There was probably not one locker without a least a couple or three binders in it. Even the PITA kids had notebooks the first day of school.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-08-2018 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 01:07 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,495 times
Quote:
No that's NOT what most of us patents are saying. All we're asking us the list be more reasonable. And rational. Just as an example, why does a student need a 5 inch binder AND a 3 inch binder AND Three 2 inch binders AND 4 spiral notebooks AND a composition book. Those binders are expensive. Why can't they use just one? If they have spiral notebooks, why have a binder at all?

And what happens to all those expensive binders because we never see them again and they don't come home at the end of the year?

I don't mind buying the supplies my kids need for school. I do mind spending a lot on waste and much of these lists are waste.
Many a teacher's supply closet is filled to the brim with either boxes of tissues, reams of loose leaf paper or piles of binders and those folders with the tabs.

My mouth dropped when I saw a closet full of boxes of tissues in one classroom where I subbed.
Then I subbed in another that had nothing so got the janitor to give me a roll of toilet paper.

Yeah..I got those outrageous lists when my son was in school and paid them no mind.
I sent him with the stuff HE needed, not what the teachers wanted.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:22 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:

Where’s the list that requires all of those binders?

Actually I could see that in HS.

Either way what does it matter? Send it or don’t. If you don’t and they need it someone else will provide it right?

Old 01-08-2018, 02:23 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Many a teacher's supply closet is filled to the brim with either boxes of tissues, reams of loose leaf paper or piles of binders and those folders with the tabs.

My mouth dropped when I saw a closet full of boxes of tissues in one classroom where I subbed.
Then I subbed in another that had nothing so got the janitor to give me a roll of toilet paper.

Yeah..I got those outrageous lists when my son was in school and paid them no mind.
I’d love to meet these mystery teachers. Clearly they’re not at my school.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:22 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If they're not coming home at the end of the year that's likely a kid issue and not a school issue. Look back at what I said about calculators and end of the year locker cleanout. There was probably not one locker without a least a couple or three binders in it. Even the PITA kids had notebooks the first day of school.
You're probably right, although one of my principals had a rule that on the last day of school the students needed to leave the building empty handed. One of my students really wanted to have his thick science notebook, and he had been sick for several days before. So I relented. The minute the kid walked out of the building he took all the pages out of the notebook and threw them into the air. At the faculty meeting an hour later, guess what teacher was singled out for not following the rules.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:13 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Nope, not a kid issue. No lockers at that age. Somewhere along the way they get taken up for grading and never handed back. Why? Don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Where’s the list that requires all of those binders?

Actually I could see that in HS.

Either way what does it matter? Send it or don’t. If you don’t and they need it someone else will provide it right?
High school is much easier -- doesn't even have a list; just buy what you need. All the lists come from elementary and middle school. Your last sentence, however has me wondering if we're not communicating. Nope I don't expect someone else to provide either. I'm happy to provide what's necessary. Just not happy to waste money on someone's personal preferences that will be tossed at the end of they year.

Perhaps the failure to communicate is due to some schools have reasonable lists. When we've visited our daughter, I've checked the school lists in the state/town she's in. They are reasonable -- pencils, notebook, notebook paper, etc. Simply stuff. Our district however ... I've posted the list somewhere on CD before. So those who haven't experienced some of the ridiculous lists may not fully understand just how expensive it can get.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post

I saw a huge supply of tissues when I volunteered in my DD's classroom, also some other stuff. I understand about needing supplies when you need them, but you'd think after years of experience, the teachers would have an idea how much they need. They could ask for that much, plus a little more for insurance. Say, ask 1/2 the class to bring tissues, and the other half to bring something else of similar value.

I always bought and sent what the teachers asked for.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Yes, most likely a kid issue. They see movies and tv shows where kods are trashing all their things at the end of the year, and want to do the same. I don't let my students throw that type of stuff away in my classroom. I tell them to take it all home and have their parents decide (this is 4th grade).

I had one kid trying to throw away a 3inch binder today because he didnt want it anymore. I made him get it out of the trash and put it in his bookbag.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:30 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're probably right, although one of my principals had a rule that on the last day of school the students needed to leave the building empty handed. One of my students really wanted to have his thick science notebook, and he had been sick for several days before. So I relented. The minute the kid walked out of the building he took all the pages out of the notebook and threw them into the air. At the faculty meeting an hour later, guess what teacher was singled out for not following the rules.
Two questions: (1) How did a moron like that become a principal? , and (2) Why didn't anybody complain, be it teachers or parents? There's nothing bad about taking unused supplies home and reusing them next year.

Quote:
High school is much easier -- doesn't even have a list; just buy what you need. All the lists come from elementary and middle school. Your last sentence, however has me wondering if we're not communicating. Nope I don't expect someone else to provide either. I'm happy to provide what's necessary. Just not happy to waste money on someone's personal preferences that will be tossed at the end of they year.
I noticed the same thing, based on the reading I did, and I wondered too. It's only the elementary and middle schools that got taken over by supply racketeers; high schools still have a traditional, normal mindset. Well, science teachers require you bring stuff like safety goggles, but that's about it. Could it be because high school have sports teams that bring in revenue, and therefore they have less need for kickbacks from supply manufacturers? Or for a less conspiracist view, the revenue from sports teams reduces the necessity for supply lists.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Two questions: (1) How did a moron like that become a principal? , and (2) Why didn't anybody complain, be it teachers or parents? There's nothing bad about taking unused supplies home and reusing them next year.

I noticed the same thing, based on the reading I did, and I wondered too. It's only the elementary and middle schools that got taken over by supply racketeers; high schools still have a traditional, normal mindset. Could it be because high school have sports teams that bring in revenue, and therefore they have less need for kickbacks from supply manufacturers? Or for a less conspiracist view, the extra revenue from sports teams reduces the need to demand supplies from parents.
I don't think the sports teams are money-makers for the schools. Most don't make much money at all. Football and basketball if anything bring in some money for the other sports. Supplies aren't provided in high school, at least not at the one my kids went to. There was just no "list" telling them how many pens, pencils, notebooks, etc they had to have. There were lab fees for many classes, not just lab sciences, for consumable supplies. Home Ec, music, most art classes, plus the lab sciences charged lab fees.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-08-2018 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education