U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:59 PM

1,130 posts, read 82,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Red shirting is just another attempt by parents to ensure their Junior gets the jump on other kids

Uuummmm no....you mean it's another way for parents to give their children the same chance at doing well as others, that they are equal and not behind and always struggling!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:00 PM

1,130 posts, read 82,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's wrong with being among the youngest in the class? Somebody has to be the youngest.

Nothing wrong with being the youngest, but nothing wrong with being the oldest either.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:04 PM

6,850 posts, read 5,584,229 times
Back in the 50's there were not enough kids for first grade so they took us younger kids too.I was in the same grade as my older brother who was 10 mos older.It was an advantage for me to play sports with older kids as they were better and knew more.I hung out with older people my whole life ever since it gives you an edge for awhile to always be ahead of your peers.Know I'm the oldest guy I know.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:28 AM

98 posts, read 44,472 times
My son falls after the Sept 1st cut off for kindergarten this year. For children born Oct to Dec they allow a form for early entry. I want him there early plus he can already do basic addition/subtraction 1 to 10, write, and has been starting to sound out words. Holding him back for another year of three day a week pre school would only curb his growth.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:46 AM

907 posts, read 180,055 times
I'm confused: Is redshirting delaying entry of a kid into school by a year, or entering them in to school a year earlier?

Old 08-06-2017, 07:00 AM

11,117 posts, read 11,158,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverEden View Post
....you mean it's another way for parents to give their children the same chance at doing well as others, that they are equal and not behind and always struggling!!!
True, and how the term "redshirting," which is intended to refer to athletics, ever got applied to grade retention is hard to understand.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:04 AM

11,117 posts, read 11,158,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I'm confused: Is redshirting delaying entry of a kid into school by a year, or entering them in to school a year earlier?
Delaying entry of a child to school by a year.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:00 AM

32,662 posts, read 34,052,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It also will be applied for the athletic kids.
"Diagnosing" athletic aptitude at the pre-k stage is...iffy.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:02 AM

32,662 posts, read 34,052,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
True, and how the term "redshirting," which is intended to refer to athletics, ever got applied to grade retention is hard to understand.
Yep. Until this year, I have literally only ever heard it used within the context of collegiate level athletics. Now,suddenly, it's being used for would-be kindergarteners, when that wasn't previously a term in use, at least around here.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:27 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,894,836 times
My son's birthday placed him in the final 3 months before the cutoff, thus being one of the younger ones in his class. We sent him to Kindergarten on schedule. He was very rambunctious and somewhat immature at the time. Academically he was doing fine, but the teacher convinced us that we should send him next year to Junior First-Grade. This was a special program our school had at the time in between K and First Grade for kids like my son or those struggling somewhat academically. It was First Grade at a slower pace. After Junior First Grade they would then progress to First Grade with the classmates being the kids from the original class below.

Junior First Grade was a fabulous program and it helped give kids an extra year to adjust to school. I'm surprised that it isn't utilized more today.

Rather than holding your child back before Kindergarten, going on time and having the Junior First Grade option orientates them into the school system and gives them the academic boost they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education