Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Really, says who?

The University of North Carolina, for one: https://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/argument/
"You have to back up your point with evidence."

I did coursework for two Ph.Ds.

And did you get said PhDs?

One of my pet peeves is the idea that "legitimate" knowledge is linear and must be "supported."

I see that. Far easier to just spout off!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden...of_(philosophy)
"When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim especially when it challenges a perceived status quo.[1] This is also stated in Hitchens's razor."

Those "supported" ideas are often male generated, and they can be wacky as Hell, but if they get published in a journal, all of a sudden, they are legitimate. And when you cite them, you have to cite the most recent ones, like that has any bearing on anything.

MmmKay!

Everything starts as opinion.

Hmm.

I don't give a crap about your beliefs.

So it seems.

I don't buy into corporate, patriarchal B.S.
Mine in COLOR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Hopefully, not if the cut-off results in students who are actually old enough to be in today's public kindergartens, where, as was pointed out, students are no longer in the sandbox playing and learning to be away from their parents. With today's curriculum, no one under the age of five should have to struggle to keep up. So that means a cut off date of June 1. The youngest children would then be 5 years and 2-3 months when entering kindergarten.
I'm not hopeful about that. The practice of red-shirting has become so much a part of urban legendry that people will do it no matter when the cut-off is, I fear. It's happened in every state that's moved up its cut-off. The advantages of being an older student will always be present.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
THE absolute most important part of early years in schooling is socialization. You are right to play with such a young boy, who needs play, and you are right to be concerned.

"Achieving full potential" is not coterminous with "Achieving full academic potential." A socially awkward or deficiently socialized teenager acing all his tests is unlikely to be a great success in a life which requires way more than simple academic proficiency. There's a few niches one can fit into - but better to be a rounded human being if you have the choice. I say that having two doctorate degrees, one in hard sciences from a world top-5 institution. I've met many people, plenty stuck in academia, crippled by their anxious, fretful, closeted upbringing that focused on nice quantitative values the parents could be proud of as a measure of success. A+ here, 99th percentile there, three grades above age this or that. That (temporarily) placates academic status-anxiety in the parents - but they aren't a measure of success.

At least he has a clear-headed grandma it seems
^^^ This. A kid just gets to be a kid once. There's more than enough time for pressure and competition. Playing is kid style work--it's another kind of learning. Everything doesn't have to be academic work.

Chess and music lessons at age four? Why? Only interacting with adults? They don't get to see what other kids are like and figure it out for themselves?

Personality and people skills are just as important as academic skills, if not more important. This child sounds as though he'll do well in school and doesn't need all this early intervention and extra education. Let him have some fun playing. If not, he may burn out early or he may become a misfit in society.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
So much B.S.

I owe you no "citations."

I gave an opinion. Opinions do not require "citations."

Talk about pretentious.

This is what is wrong with our culture - corporate "know-it-alls."

I guess you missed the English class on quotation marks and when to use them.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:48 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I guess you missed the English class on quotation marks and when to use them.
Using quotation marks around the words of others is standard practice.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Using quotation marks around the words of others is standard practice.
Not on this forum. I believe that poster was using them sarcastically, and I did not say anyone was a "know it all", s/he called me a know it all. Name calling is supposed to be against the TOS.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:27 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
This thread has ignited too many reported posts for name calling, off topic posts, etc. Closed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education