Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 07:02 AM

26,630 posts, read 26,545,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Only one person can be the youngest unless they have the same birthday.
Three classrooms of 30-35 students times 6 grades (K-5).....yes, at some point during their elementary school experience, each one of them was the youngest in her class.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 AM

102,086 posts, read 107,163,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You miss the point (and it has nothing to do with being 5th grade class president). Because they were the youngest in their classes and treated as if they were immature--which they may well have been--their ensuing lack of self confidence remained with them as they grew up.
That's pure speculation on your part, that they "may well have been" treated as though they're immature. Speaking as one of those who were youngest in the class, and having had a number of friends who were also youngest in their class, being treated as though one is immature doesn't happen. It may happen to a few who actually are immature. But kids group with peers who have similar interests and are a good personality fit. They find their niche, usually, even if it's just one or two friends. If anyone thinks they're immature, most are oblivious to it.

Also, by HS, students are able to make their own choices in what classes to sign up for, to some extent. They can take classes with older groups or with younger ones. They can mix it up, to increase the variety of people they meet in class, and create age diversity for themselves, in their school experience, thereby broadening their friend base beyond their peer group.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's pure speculation on your part, that they "may well have been" treated as though they're immature.
It's actually based on what they said during the years I went through school with them, if you can call that speculation.

Quote:
Speaking as one of those who were youngest in the class, and having had a number of friends who were also youngest in their class, being treated as though one is immature doesn't happen.
Doesn't happen to you, anyway. All of our experiences are different. So glad that you were never treated as more immature than your older classmates. I obviously had a different experience with my younger classmates (as well as with our youngest daughter). Pretty understandable, since even six months can make a huge difference with children under six, and 11 months, some very observable differences.

Quote:
It may happen to a few who actually are immature. But kids group with peers who have similar interests and are a good personality fit. They find their niche, usually, even if it's just one or two friends. If anyone thinks they're immature, most are oblivious to it.
Yet if those classmates were oblivious to it, none of the rest of us would have ever heard about it. With one friend, she did not reveal until we were in high school how much she struggled, trying to keep up with everyone else.

Quote:
Also, by HS, students are able to make their own choices in what classes to sign up for, to some extent. They can take classes with older groups or with younger ones.
Back then, no student was able to pick and chose a class....maybe put in a preference for an elective as a senior, but that would have been the extent of choice. Our academic counselors had control over our courses.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:28 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
Quote:
Back then, no student was able to pick and chose a class....maybe put in a preference for an elective as a senior, but that would have been the extent of choice. Our academic counselors had control over our courses.
Oh, for pity's sake! I'm pretty sure I'm older than you, and we picked and chose classes "back then". The more academically inclined were often taking math, science and language arts classes a grade or two ahead. Foreign language classes had kids of all ages.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Oh, for pity's sake! I'm pretty sure I'm older than you, and we picked and chose classes "back then". The more academically inclined were often taking math, science and language arts classes a grade or two ahead. Foreign language classes had kids of all ages.
"Oh, for pity's sake!" yourself.

Stop with your constant need to state that someone else's experience never happened.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
"Oh, for pity's sake!" yourself.

Stop with your constant need to state that someone else's experience never happened.
No, that's what you said: "Back then, no student was able to pick and chose a class..." No one? That was not the case in my high school, or in any of the HSs my friends attended, from what they said. "Back then" was the middle 60s for me, BTW.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
No, that's what you said: "Back then, no student was able to pick and chose a class..." No one? That was not the case in my high school, or in any of the HSs my friends attended, from what they said. "Back then" was the middle 60s, BTW.
Not in our school, dear. And you weren't enrolled there, were you? (But you're free to keep arguing otherwise.)

Old 01-04-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Not in our school, dear. And you weren't enrolled there, were you? (But you're free to keep arguing otherwise.)
What you should have said the first time.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:39 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,163,173 times
Quote:
Apparently, in your school, academic counselors ruled. They didn't in my school, except for one instance, when the counselor enrolled me in a language AP class, without consulting with me. That was a class filled mostly with students from the grade ahead of me, so she clearly wasn't concerned about relative maturity levels. Electives had a mix of students from different grades. Even for some required courses, we could choose which year we wanted to take them. If the majority of one's age cohort was taking biology in sophomore year, for example, students who wanted to buck the trend could take it in a later year. Instead of taking foreign language in Freshman & soph. year, students could take it in the last 2 years. Or they could take several languages, adding new ones as they went along through 4 years of HS. If they came into HS already having acquired a level of proficiency in a language, they could start at a more advanced level, with older students.

There are many ways to get jiggy with one's HS program.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,349,172 times
Quote:
You miss the point (and it has nothing to do with being 5th grade class president). Because they were the youngest in their classes and treated as if they were immature--which they may well have been--their ensuing lack of self confidence remained with them as they grew up.
Both my brother and I were the youngest kids in our classes (when I say class, I actually mean our entire grade level). We were never treated as if we were immature nor did we lack self confidence. In fact, my brother went on to be very successful throughout his school career and I got bored so I decided to graduate a year early and move on to college.

Simply because your experience is different does not make it standard.

At one point both of us were also offered the opportunity to skip a grade level in elementary school. My parents declined for both of us since we were already so much younger than our peers (we tested into kindergarten early despite our birthdays being after the cut off dates). Looking back they regret that decision with me as it turned out I ended up doing it when I was in high school anyway. My brother was far more social though so the decision not to with him panned out better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education