Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:31 PM

28 posts, read 26,411 times

Advertisements

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of threads on here about redshirting(delaying a child's entrance to Kindergarten by a year). However, the only kids who are considered for redshirting are kids with fall birthdays in states with winter cutoffs. Since most states have a cutoff of September 1st, and since most kids do not have fall birthdays, there are really very few kids who should be considered for redshirting. So why have there been all these redshirting threads lately?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:57 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckcheese View Post
Lately, I've been seeing a lot of threads on here about redshirting(delaying a child's entrance to Kindergarten by a year). However, the only kids who are considered for redshirting are kids with fall birthdays in states with winter cutoffs. Since most states have a cutoff of September 1st, and since most kids do not have fall birthdays, there are really very few kids who should be considered for redshirting. So why have there been all these redshirting threads lately?
Because the bold is untrue. Whatever the cutoff, some parents with kids with birthdays in the last 3 months before the cutoff consider redshirting them. My district's cutoff is Sept. 30, people red-shirt kids with summer birthdays, and even into May.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:47 PM

14,203 posts, read 11,461,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Because the bold is untrue. Whatever the cutoff, some parents with kids with birthdays in the last 3 months before the cutoff consider redshirting them. My district's cutoff is Sept. 30, people red-shirt kids with summer birthdays, and even into May.
I agree. Our older daughter's birthday is August 31. When she was starting school, the cutoff in our state was December 2. But all the way through high school, she was always the youngest or second youngest in her class. Almost all the kids whose birthdays were in September, October, or November were held back.

The cutoff in this state has now been moved back to September, and I hear about parents whose kids have June-August birthdays being regularly redshirted.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:27 AM

772 posts, read 452,626 times
Red shirting is just another attempt by parents to ensure their Junior gets the jump on other kids

Old 08-05-2017, 04:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Redshirting happens when a child is immature and not ready.

Also, since the curriculum has been pushed down a year, more kids are unready for the structure and academics.

Mostly, though, it is because some children are socially immature. It is the parent's call. In most places, K is not even mandatory. Some kids are not ready for a full day of school.

Back when I went to school (late 50s, early 60s) many places did not even offer K and those that did offered a half day not a full day.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:28 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,036,102 times
Because it's that time of year, when parents are making their final decision as to whether or not to hold back their child.

Here the cut-off date is 5 by August 31 and red-shirting is very common for spring and summer birthdays. I started my July birthday child "on time" back in 2012, and she's always been the youngest kid in her class. It's never hindered her socially or academically, although with a different personality, I can see where it might have. My youngest child has a February birthday, and he would have been a social disaster if he'd been the one to start shortly after his 5th birthday. I'm glad we had the extra 6-7 months before he started, as he matured a lot during that time. If he'd been the one with the summer birthday I may have considered holding him back.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:46 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Also, since the curriculum has been pushed down a year, more kids are unready for the structure and academics.

Mostly, though, it is because some children are socially immature. It is the parent's call. In most places, K is not even mandatory. Some kids are not ready for a full day of school.

Back when I went to school (late 50s, early 60s) many places did not even offer K and those that did offered a half day not a full day.
Actually, the above is not the case for many, possibly even most red****ees. Many are redshirted for athletics. In fact, the term "redshirt" comes from college athletics and means to sit out a year of eligibility. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reds...college_sports)

Demographically, redshirts tend to be male and from affluent families. Lower income families often don't have the money for another year of preschool/daycare.

I do think some kids are just too young, but even as start dates have been moved up, redshirting continues.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:06 PM

102,076 posts, read 106,950,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree. Our older daughter's birthday is August 31. When she was starting school, the cutoff in our state was December 2. But all the way through high school, she was always the youngest or second youngest in her class. Almost all the kids whose birthdays were in September, October, or November were held back.

The cutoff in this state has now been moved back to September, and I hear about parents whose kids have June-August birthdays being regularly redshirted.
What's wrong with being among the youngest in the class? Somebody has to be the youngest.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:12 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,490,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It also will be applied for the athletic kids.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:52 PM

6,452 posts, read 6,610,032 times
I always assumed people held their kids back to give them an advantage in athletics. Athletics were never a priority in our family, so I was quite the opposite of red-shirters.

Our district had a cutoff of June 1. I not only didn't redshirt my son with a May birthday, but I requested (and was granted) early admission for my 2 sons with August birthdays. They all did very well socially and academically, went to college on full (or nearly full) rides, and now have advanced degrees. It probably wouldn't have been a big deal for them to each wait a year for K, but they were all eager and ready, so I'm glad we did as we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education