Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Because the bold is untrue. Whatever the cutoff, some parents with kids with birthdays in the last 3 months before the cutoff consider redshirting them. My district's cutoff is Sept. 30, people red-shirt kids with summer birthdays, and even into May.
This

Old 08-06-2017, 09:13 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It also will be applied for the athletic kids.
Perhaps, although I think very few people actually do this. I have no data, so I can't be sure. I redshirted my son (May birthday) because he was quite socially immature (we are now convinced he has aspergers syndrome though he was never dxed - his son has autism and many of the traits are similar to his dad). We did not redshirt his daughter who was a very young 5 entering K and who also has aspergers - dxed when she was 8. Still she is doing well in high school, but has no real social group.

Btw, this study was done on kindergarten redshirting.

https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/academic-redshirting/

Quote:
On the Life Satisfaction Scale, redshirted students showed significantly higher levels of life satisfaction than those who had not been redshirted. The feelings described by subjects in the interviews offered substantial evidence that redshirted students were happy with the decision their parents made, and those who were not wished they had been. Although this was a small study, it suggests that parents who opt to redshirt their children may be setting them up for a generally more satisfying life later on.
There were no negative academic effects, but it does not provide advantages either.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:31 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Junior First Grade was a fabulous program and it helped give kids an extra year to adjust to school. I'm surprised that it isn't utilized more today.
I've never heard of Junior First Grade. Your son was fortunate to have a program like that.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Until this year, I have literally only ever heard it used within the context of collegiate level athletics. Now,suddenly, it's being used for would-be kindergarteners, when that wasn't previously a term in use, at least around here.
Me, either. It sounds as if the term is used now because "retention" appears to have a negative connotation with parents and educators.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Yep. Until this year, I have literally only ever heard it used within the context of collegiate level athletics. Now,suddenly, it's being used for would-be kindergarteners, when that wasn't previously a term in use, at least around here.
Then let me say, with all due respect, that you have not been paying attention to the issue. I remember back about 15, maybe even 20 years ago, getting into a "discussion" with an educator who did not believe redshirt is an athletic term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Perhaps, although I think very few people actually do this. I have no data, so I can't be sure. I redshirted my son (May birthday) because he was quite socially immature (we are now convinced he has aspergers syndrome though he was never dxed - his son has autism and many of the traits are similar to his dad). We did not redshirt his daughter who was a very young 5 entering K and who also has aspergers - dxed when she was 8. Still she is doing well in high school, but has no real social group.

Btw, this study was done on kindergarten redshirting.

https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/academic-redshirting/

There were no negative academic effects, but it does not provide advantages either.

One can always find a study to support one's beliefs. If I weren't in a restaurant where my food just arrived as I was posting, I'd look one up.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
But from the link you quoted, below, isn't this a huge advantage?

"Although this was a small study, it suggests that parents who opt to redshirt their children may be setting them up for a generally more satisfying life later on."

Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
True, and how the term "redshirting," which is intended to refer to athletics, ever got applied to grade retention is hard to understand.
Quote:
Yep. Until this year, I have literally only ever heard it used within the context of collegiate level athletics. Now,suddenly, it's being used for would-be kindergarteners, when that wasn't previously a term in use, at least around here.
I thought red shirts were the practice squads for football teams. Shows how out of touch I am I guess.

I have no idea how it became a term that applies to delayed admission to kindergarten but at this point I think it's become a way for some parents to signal that they are hip to the new lingo and in touch with all of the new modern parenting trends. Not that holding kids back a grade was never done before, but now when you do it you get to be part of a popular trend.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:09 AM

783 posts, read 576,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It also will be applied for the athletic kids.
I seriously thought this thread was going to be about college sports.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:45 PM

28 posts, read 26,697 times
Quote:
I redshirted my son (May birthday) because he was quite socially immature (we are now convinced he has aspergers syndrome though he was never dxed - his son has autism and many of the traits are similar to his dad).
No offense, but AS is a terrible reason to redshirt. My parents redshirted me(July 3rd bday) for the very same reason and all that happened was that my problems got addressed a year later. A child with Asperger's Syndrome is already going to have enough to separate them from their classmates without being a year older.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:09 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's wrong with being among the youngest in the class? Somebody has to be the youngest.
Nothing's wrong with being the youngest. Did I say that? I was just surprised that there were no kids with September, October, or November birthdays in her class, when the cutoff was December 2 (well, there were, but they were a whole year older). And the only time it bothered her was when she was the last in the grade to be able to get a driver's license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education