Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:13 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
They are German Mennonites. Their church is similar to Catholic. They are from Germany, migrate to Canada, then to Mexico, then the USA.

I suppose they can call themselves what they want, all I know is that is the story they tell me. lol

The whole thought process is what I don't understand, concerning education. I do know that the money the kids make(until they get married) they keep 10% and the parents get 90%. Reason, "Thats how it's always been done.".

I can understand everything if this was early 1900's. But 2017? HS through internet, college through internet. Why stop at middle school?

maybe I'm just ranting. I just hate to see kids' future limited.
First of all it is nothing like Catholic.

Those types of religions do not want socialization. They will hardly ever get a job where more than the basics are needed, reading, writing, and math.

Unless they leave the faith they will do the same as their parents, grandparents, etc did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Here is some history of the German Mennonites in the US.

https://joshuaproject.net/people_groups/13677/US

History
Quote:
Mennonites are named after Menno Simons, a Catholic priest who studied the Bible and saw error in the Catholic Church. He left it and decided to follow Jesus Christ and his teachings regardless of the cost. He and his followers were hunted for their faith. Many of his followers were burnt at the stake for their faith in Jesus Christ.
Mennonites facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about Mennonites

They practice adult baptism, unlike the Catholic Church.

Quote:
Interaction with non-Mennonites varies with the group in question. For example, the Holdeman strictly limit interaction not only with non-Mennonites but with members of other Mennonite groups. The General Conference Mennonite Church or the Mennonite Brethren are less concerned, if at all, with limiting interaction with outsiders.
In the US,
Quote:
today, most have become wage laborers, successful entrepreneurs, educators, or professionals, and only a minority earn a living by farming.
Quote:
Presently, only the more conservative ones proscribe marriage outside the group.
Quote:
some withdraw their children from school beginning in the eighth grade. Among most groups, however, parents encourage their offspring to remain in school and continue with postsecondary education. Throughout North America, there are numerous four-year colleges affiliated with the various denominations.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 PM

923 posts, read 526,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
First of all it is nothing like Catholic.

Those types of religions do not want socialization. They will hardly ever get a job where more than the basics are needed, reading, writing, and math.

Unless they leave the faith they will do the same as their parents, grandparents, etc did.
Actually yes it is similar to Catholic. I'm Catholic, they have confession, communion, and other similarities. No, it's not Catholic, but very similar.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:02 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
It's generally a group, know'n as German Mennonites. There is more than one family that does this.
Probably home schooled, but after age 16 for sure they most likely aren't.
This is what I was going to guess, after reading your OP. There is a legal exception for the Amish and related groups. The Supreme Court made a landmark decision in a case called "Wisconsin vs. Yoder" in the early 70's, that said those communities are exempt from state schooling requirements for highschool, due to the nature of their way of life. They do not home-school.

IMO, the court failed to take into consideration the fact that not all the kids choose to remain in those traditional communities. If they want to leave when they come of age, however that's defined in those communities, they find themselves severely handicapped, without an education in mainstream society. That should be an issue, but it wasn't for the court at that time.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:04 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
school is a building... not an education

most likely home schooled, since legally parents can't withhold educating their kids
School is far more than a building when you are speaking of the mass education of a whole country. School is an activity, a place, and a goal. It may be OK to have people sit around a candlelight all reading from the one book on the shelf in some countries, but we all (or should all) aspire to far more than that for our citizen children.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But is it really " limited"? The Amish/Mennonites are a complete different culture. The futures aren't limited because those futures play absolutely no role in the culture.

You're in Kansas, yes? Those of us who grew up around the Amish back East understand, or at least accept, their choices.
Yes, I'm in Kansas. Yes, I believe it's limited. It really isn't any of my business what they do, I just don't understand why they would limit their kids with less education. The less education, the more limitations.

I understand some limitations, just not this one.

I'm limited myself, as I don't understand. Maybe it's cause I want more for their kids. I probably shouldn't care, but I do.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Here is some history of the German Mennonites in the US.

https://joshuaproject.net/people_groups/13677/US

History

Mennonites facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about Mennonites

They practice adult baptism, unlike the Catholic Church.

In the US,
FANTASTIC information, Nana!!! Thank you so much!

Old 08-09-2017, 01:19 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
They are "Mennonites", but their religion is very similar to Catholic. They come from Canada or Mexico, but speak German. Yes, I know...your wondering how/why/what? lol

I've found that money is their "driving force". It's always about money.

I've had a few work for me, always the same. Money is more important than education. The "3 R's" are very lacking, but they can fix a weedeater with no problem.

As far as material things, cars/tvs/phones/etc are top notch(much MUCH nicer than many). But clothes, not important. Hygiene is very sub-par. Many times the man works less than the wife and kids.
I thank you have a very biased - and prejudiced view.

Mennonites

Mennonites and Amish do not wish to have their children go to higher grades because they see no practical need for that education. (When their children become "of age," if they want a more modern education, they can certainly go out and get it for themselves.)

They are not technically advanced and do not have a need or desire for those advancement because it does not fit into their religious views.

To say too that they have bad (or "sub-par") hygiene is also a value judgment. If they believe in nature and sweat, and shy away from chemical deodorants it does not mean they are dirty in any way - just that they smell "natural." I wonder of they even notice it amongst themselves. I wonder too if they wash several times a day to keep the "funk" down? Or maybe they use something foreign to people of the modern world - but anyway, I do not believe they are trying to "live up" to western standards. Christian Dior is not a priority for them.

"When they work, they want money?" Wow, that's sick. Could it be that because you are not of their sect they wish nothing to do with you other than a job - and getting paid for that job? How can you live among them and not be educated about them? I lived about 50 miles from Amish country in PA and seem to know more.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-09-2017 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 01:39 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm in Kansas. Yes, I believe it's limited. It really isn't any of my business what they do, I just don't understand why they would limit their kids with less education. The less education, the more limitations.

I understand some limitations, just not this one.

I'm limited myself, as I don't understand. Maybe it's cause I want more for their kids. I probably shouldn't care, but I do.
It isn't limited, as long as the kids remain in the community for life. Instead of going to school, they're learning a trade, whether it be farming, or furniture-making, or bee-keeping; whatever they do to have a successful way of life in their community. The argument used before the Supreme Court was that to require them to go through conventional highschool would lead toward assimilation to the mainstream culture, eventually destroying their own culture, and that they had a right to maintain their culture, based on the practice of their religion.

Notably, this argument has never worked for traditional Native American communities, who viewed the case as a useful precedent.

Where it definitely IS limiting, is in the cases in which the teens eventually choose to leave the community. Then, they're kind of screwed, unless they can find a job "outside", and get into a GED program, then later get college scholarships and other financial aid. A few actually do manage all that, and succeed in the mainstream.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I thank you have a very biased - and prejudiced view.

Mennonites

Mennonites and Amish do not wish to have their children go to higher grades because they see no practical need for that education. (When their children become "of age," if they want a more modern education, they can certainly go out and get it for themselves.)

They are not technically advanced and do not have a need or desire for those advancement because it does not fit into their religious views.

To say too that they have bad (or "sub-par") hygiene is also a value judgment. If they believe in nature and sweat, and shy away from chemical deodorants it does not mean they are dirty in any way - just that they smell "natural." I wonder of they even notice it amongst themselves. I wonder too if they wash several times a day to keep the "funk" down? Or maybe they use something foreign to people of the modern world - but anyway, I do not believe they are trying to "live up" to western standards. Christian Dior is not a priority for them.

"When they work, they want money?" Wow, that's sick. Could it be that because you are not of their sect they wish nothing to do with you other than a job - and getting paid for that job? How can you live among them and not be educated about them? I lived about 50 miles from Amish country in PA and seem to know more.
I will admit, I am biased. I see potential in every person. Might even be called hope.

At age 14-16, how can they "go out and get it for themselves" when their parents won't let them?

The father of the family, who works for me, is not happy that I don't have auto-steer on the combines. yes, he has a desire for technical advancement. So do their kids.

You are 100% correct on hygiene. That is purely my standards, and the others who work for me, and that is not for me to say anything. I have not, but when we have to drive something he has been in.....lets just say that I've been told to talk to him. It causes others problems also.

No, that isn't true that they want nothing but a job. I loan money to them, give advise, talk to their kids about their behavior, have meals together, have prayed together, have given parental advise, marriage advise, talked to the kids one-on-one, and have taught their oldest daughter about "boyfriend" etiquette.
To say the least, I AM involved with my employees and their families. I care, and they do come to me to talk things over.

I am educated about them. I'm asking why not educate, and inadvertently asking how to convince them to let their kids continue education.

I do appreciate you calling me out on some of my judgmental behaviors. What I don't appreciate is you assuming that I don't care and want them to be similar to "western" behaviors. Assume what you may about me, but know this FACT....I CARE about my employees. If not, I wouldn't have brought this subject up.

I do wish you well, black top traveler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education