U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:33 PM

6,732 posts, read 6,060,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Amish will not have cars, Mennonites might but nothing flashy. Some have loosened up with cell phones and/or computers if they're used for work or business. Same now with power tools.

There's an Amish Market in Annapolis. When it first opened the vendors kept their money in cigar boxes. The state made them get cash registers.
I don't know where you are but the Mennonites in Sarasota have VERY nice flashy cars and trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 04:33 PM

6,530 posts, read 3,645,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I will admit, I am biased. I see potential in every person. Might even be called hope.

At age 14-16, how can they "go out and get it for themselves" when their parents won't let them?

The father of the family, who works for me, is not happy that I don't have auto-steer on the combines. yes, he has a desire for technical advancement. So do their kids.

You are 100% correct on hygiene. That is purely my standards, and the others who work for me, and that is not for me to say anything. I have not, but when we have to drive something he has been in.....lets just say that I've been told to talk to him. It causes others problems also.

No, that isn't true that they want nothing but a job. I loan money to them, give advise, talk to their kids about their behavior, have meals together, have prayed together, have given parental advise, marriage advise, talked to the kids one-on-one, and have taught their oldest daughter about "boyfriend" etiquette.
To say the least, I AM involved with my employees and their families. I care, and they do come to me to talk things over.

I am educated about them. I'm asking why not educate, and inadvertently asking how to convince them to let their kids continue education.

I do appreciate you calling me out on some of my judgmental behaviors. What I don't appreciate is you assuming that I don't care and want them to be similar to "western" behaviors. Assume what you may about me, but know this FACT....I CARE about my employees. If not, I wouldn't have brought this subject up.

I do wish you well, black top traveler.
Well I can appreciate that you care about them... I'll just say though that how well they choose to educate is up to them. As for them going out and getting an education if they want, note that I said "once they are of age."

As I said, I don't doubt your sincerity, but I don't believe your concern is necessary. I wish you luck too.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:45 PM

27,865 posts, read 33,439,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't know where you are but the Mennonites in Sarasota have VERY nice flashy cars and trucks.
Pinecraft? All I see are fancy bicycles.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:49 PM

110 posts, read 40,556 times
I knew a very nice Mennonite family with 9 kids, ages 10-24 at the time. They were home educated and very accomplished, knew algebra and trigonometry, boys and girls both could build a house from foundation to roof, knit, sew, garden and put up, build and play instruments, drive, basic mechanical, you get the picture.
Now, they could be outliers, but one daughter became a nurse, and that's not too uncommon. Some kids do go on to higher ed, and I bet most of them could pass the ged on their 14th birthday.
Our education system isn't the be-all-end-all.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:19 PM

2,553 posts, read 4,579,166 times
Quote:
I know some people won't let their kids continue education after age 14. The reason told to me is because "they need to work and make money".

They are paid well, nice homes, VERY nice cars, and take most weekends off.

Why would a parent want to limit education for their kids? Control?
Ridiculous parenting.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:17 AM

5,039 posts, read 6,653,241 times
Who expects their kids to work vs school at 14? Is this in the US?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 AM

5,598 posts, read 9,261,044 times
Last I checked the US still had religious freedom.

If the young Mennonites, Amish and so forth choose to leave the faith, then they will. If they choose to stay, who's to judge that they are not better off to live their religious preference?

Should we start dictating religious values if they they are not physically or mentally harmful to themselves or others?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM

3,265 posts, read 2,519,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
A Mennonite raised friemd told me that each group has different observances about bling and modernization...theirs kept the chrome on their Cadillacs while the colony in next county removed all chrome. These were all very successful wheat farmers.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 AM

62,815 posts, read 52,096,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Last I checked the US still had religious freedom.

If the young Mennonites, Amish and so forth choose to leave the faith, then they will. If they choose to stay, who's to judge that they are not better off to live their religious preference?

Should we start dictating religious values if they they are not physically or mentally harmful to themselves or others?
Unfortunately, up until remarkably recently, we did exactly that to Native Americans. But Amish were not "savages" needing to be "tamed", so they got complete freedom to retain their lifeways and religion, instead of repression and forced assimilation.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 AM

4,544 posts, read 4,318,870 times
Quote:
It's generally a group, know'n as German Mennonites. There is more than one family that does this.
Probably home schooled, but after age 16 for sure they most likely aren't.
Sometimes when they need teachers, they do send their students to colleges such as Bluffton College (Bluffton, OH -- about an hour south of Toledo in NW Ohio). This is a Mennonite-run college. You can google it.

OP, you have to understand that their community is their own social system, mostly based on farming, and in their opinion, one doesn't need more than an 8th grade education to be a farmer or a farmer's wife. And to some extent, that makes sense for them: like the Amish, money is always in short supply, so the further they are from the typical consumer culture, the happier they will be. TVs are banned in some homes for that reason, as well as all of the "devil's programming."

I have relatives who are still members of the Mennonite church. Their sect is not as strict as some, but women are still treated as second-class citizens with few rights. For example: my great aunt was never allowed to learn to drive. She was married at 17 and her husband always drove her (and later their 6 kids) to the store, school, and church.

She also left school at 13 to help her mom take care of the grandparents. I don't believe that she ever graduated from high school. In Ohio in the old days, the authorities didn't bother the Amish or the Mennonites when they pulled their kids out of school: many of the schools are (and were) run by the groups themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education