U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 04:09 PM

1,935 posts, read 685,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So you want kids to be wards of the state? Instead of with their parents?

That is EXACTLY what you are advocating. It's a very dangerous idea.

No one's life is over at 18. You can ALWAYS learn. Always.

You can always learn, but its alot harder if you are denied access to it.
I think the Poster was logically listing out why it is wrong for kids to be pulled out of school earlier than other children in the US, d/t their religion-
not that they become wards of the state.

We have decided as a nation that children should be educated until X,Y, Z and that should be the law of the land.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Status: ""Abortion Stops A Beating Heart!"" (set 12 days ago)

18,343 posts, read 12,068,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
They are "Mennonites", but their religion is very similar to Catholic. They come from Canada or Mexico, but speak German. Yes, I know...your wondering how/why/what? lol

I've found that money is their "driving force". It's always about money.

I've had a few work for me, always the same. Money is more important than education. The "3 R's" are very lacking, but they can fix a weedeater with no problem.

As far as material things, cars/tvs/phones/etc are top notch(much MUCH nicer than many). But clothes, not important. Hygiene is very sub-par. Many times the man works less than the wife and kids.
No, there religion is nothing like the Catholic faith, nothing!

For people that support their own families without relying on Uncle Sam, money is important. Geesh!

You are talking about a particular group and seem to be putting them down, all of them of that faith. I grew up around the Amish, had a good friend that was Mennonite, and they are very nice people. Some are more educated than others, but the ones I have interfaced with, not gossiped about like some people do, were more intelligent and literate than many I encounter on the internet.

So what if clothes aren't important. They dress modestly per the rules of their religion. Different sects can have slight variations in how they live, but they are very devoted to God, something to be admired in today's world. Also to be admired is the strength that they draw from their faith, especially in the face of the criticism they are given by busybodies!

Hygiene is sub-par? Perhaps they had been working, something many people do when they need to support their families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
They are German Mennonites. Their church is similar to Catholic. They are from Germany, migrate to Canada, then to Mexico, then the USA.

I suppose they can call themselves what they want, all I know is that is the story they tell me. lol

The whole thought process is what I don't understand, concerning education. I do know that the money the kids make(until they get married) they keep 10% and the parents get 90%. Reason, "Thats how it's always been done.".

I can understand everything if this was early 1900's. But 2017? HS through internet, college through internet. Why stop at middle school?

maybe I'm just ranting. I just hate to see kids' future limited.
The children continue to live at home where the family covers their expenses. They "share", a big part of their religion.

Learn something about their devotion to their religion before condemning them. They are a very pleasant and satisfied people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_Mennonite and What?s the difference between Amish and Mennonites?

Not everyone has the same goals or needs. Judging others by your desires and needs, why would you even be doing that.

They attend school through 8th grade. They get a very adequate education. Homeschooling is becoming very popular, so that parents can keep the schools from indoctrinating their children with undesirable thoughts, actions and behaviors, not to mention it is much safer than attending many of the public schools today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But is it really " limited"? The Amish/Mennonites are a complete different culture. The futures aren't limited because those futures play absolutely no role in the culture.

You're in Kansas, yes? Those of us who grew up around the Amish back East understand, or at least accept, their choices.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education