U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:39 PM

300 posts, read 86,510 times

Advertisements

I know some people won't let their kids continue education after age 14. The reason told to me is because "they need to work and make money".

They are paid well, nice homes, VERY nice cars, and take most weekends off.

Why would a parent want to limit education for their kids? Control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 02:42 PM

28,442 posts, read 34,437,981 times
Are you saying they violate Kansas education law?

Old 08-07-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Are you saying they violate Kansas education law?
I am afraid that it may be happening. Usually they go to 16, but I know this daughter is 14 and he said she isn't going to school. Maybe he meant public school. It's possible that she will be home-schooled.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:08 PM

7,030 posts, read 2,016,234 times
school is a building... not an education

most likely home schooled, since legally parents can't withhold educating their kids

Old 08-07-2017, 08:10 PM

2,259 posts, read 791,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I know some people won't let their kids continue education after age 14. The reason told to me is because "they need to work and make money".

They are paid well, nice homes, VERY nice cars, and take most weekends off.

Why would a parent want to limit education for their kids? Control?
When you say "some people" do you mean one parent?

I don't know anyone at all who is successful in life who would want their kids to drop out of school and begin working at 14. Because that's a recipe for absolute failure.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:24 AM

8,490 posts, read 6,670,779 times
OP, how old you are you? Where do you live? I do know that this was a tradition in poor rural areas, at least until the 1950s-1960s in the US. Maybe it still is.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:18 AM

It's generally a group, know'n as German Mennonites. There is more than one family that does this.
Probably home schooled, but after age 16 for sure they most likely aren't.

I'm in my mid 40's in western KS. I believe that it was 95 or 98% of this years graduating class went on to college or the military.

They are legal citizens and they are mostly all really great people. I just wish their kids could continue education so as not to be a farm hand or house cleaner. Work more with their brain than their backs.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:32 AM

294 posts, read 107,762 times
Teenagers should be learning a trade as well as getting academic schooling. If it's being a farm hand, that's better than playing video games. On a working farm, the kids should be milking the cows every morning.
That said, the social aspect of school is especially important in small, isolated communities. If the kids are going to church or other community activities regularly, home schooling is preferable.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:54 AM

28,442 posts, read 34,437,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
It's generally a group, know'n as German Mennonites. There is more than one family that does this.
Probably home schooled, but after age 16 for sure they most likely aren't.

I'm in my mid 40's in western KS. I believe that it was 95 or 98% of this years graduating class went on to college or the military.

They are legal citizens and they are mostly all really great people. I just wish their kids could continue education so as not to be a farm hand or house cleaner. Work more with their brain than their backs.
Most states who have the population have an Amish/Mennonite exception carved out in their education laws for age of attendance.

The culture of both groups is weighted to agriculture and the trades so college isn't even in the conversation for them. Hell, they don't even have electricity in their houses (barns and outbuildings may be a different matter) let alone running water and other plumbing.

The Amish, all flavors to include Mennonites, are a closed society and the concerns of we English don't even register.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 AM

829 posts, read 318,003 times
The only people I know to do that are the Amish and Mennonites. The Mennonites drive big vans, nothing lavish. Amish don't have cars at all. Their homes are very modest, as is their entire lifestyle. Some go to public schools, but a lot do the one room school house thing because it's entirely controlled by the Amish community. They aren't becoming doctors, lawyers or engineers. A lot of the men help local farmers with farm work around here, they build, they farm, etc. There's also a lot of inbreeding going on, but I guess that can't be avoided.

They just do their own thing, the ones who don't want it leave. I know a few families who left the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education